Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

Hey guys. Yesterday, I built a new computer.

Intel Core i7 930

Crucial Ballistic 6gb RAM

nVidia GTX 470 (with latest firmware)

I installed OA today (first time playing OA) and I get a weird stutter every couple of seconds or so. Fraps says that Im maintaining the fps (30-50) but I notice a stutter in the gameplay. The sounds also stutters sometimes at the same time as the screen stutters.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

I have not.

Yes, you've got to turn Hyperthreading off. Leave it off all the time unless you do Pixar animation/rendering type work. Games always runs better with it off.

Also, make sure you've got ALL the no-hardware updates for Win7, and your sound card drivers are correct. Make sure you're not using any hardware updates from Windows Update.

Maverick are you still happy with the new driver performance?

Yeah, so far pretty good, though I've gotten a couple of driver crashes. I managed to play on an ACE2 OA server for quite a while beforehand, though. The crashes seem to happen most often when I zoom in/go to ironsights, possibly somehow having to do with the sudden LOD shift? Not sure.

"new WHQL-candidate 258.96 drivers "

I tried these as well, and for my 295 GTX, they are a no go. Textures load too slow. Went back to the 258.69s. These work way better for me.

i noticed this as well, the textures sometimes wouldn't even load so walls and buildings etc.. would look like crap. I'm running on the current WHQL 257.21. They work best for me since I'm running a 480gtx

How is the GTX480?

I have a GTX295 now and i plan to buy the 480, i think it fits better in my system.

I'm guessing the WHQL 258.96 driver is the exact same as the candidate driver...

ok i need help.

specs:

amd 64 2.6 x2

4gbs of ram

9500gt 1gb

latest drivers from nvidia and im using win7 64

i purchased a2 and oa through steam and using both current versions, im using dx11. for some reason im getting 10-20fps sometimes even 5-10fps only if im in a town or city. is there a way to speed this up? ive been reading all over the forum about rolling back to 197.45 drivers from nvidia and adding launch commands for both a2 and oa. also turning some settings to off in my nvidia control panel. i pretty much exhausted all options here and im running crysis on high settings and im using my native res for my hdtv 40inch and for some reason thia game hates my pc.

I'm guessing the WHQL 258.96 driver is the exact same as the candidate driver...
Yeah, probably yes.

So for those of you using SLI and the older 197.45 drivers, what solution are you using for the lack of SLI profile in Operation Arrowhead?

lol nothing worked here, i feel left out. mostly everyones confirming fps gains with the launch command entries and cfg modifications and older nvidia drivers, except me. it sux i can only hope for a better patch for OA. in A2 1.07 however, it runs pretty smooth at 20fps. ill stick with a2 for now.

i got an amd64 2.6 x2

4gb of ram

9500gt 1gb

settings all on normal/high

playing on 40inch tv.

jus 20fps with lates nvidia drivers wid win7 64b

The just released 258.96 drivers( no.... NOT the Beta 258.96s lol), these are THE nicest drivers IQwise and performancewise I have tried for Operation Arrowhead. Textures load up faster as well. Give em a try. For my GTX 295, these are pretty amazing.

Edited by Shataan

The just released 258.96 drivers( no.... NOT the Beta 258.96s lol), these are THE nicest drivers IQwise and performancewise I have tried for Operation Arrowhead. Textures load up faster as well. Give em a try. For my GTX 295, these are pretty amazing.

Did you try the WHQL-candidate (what you are calling "beta") drivers? Because I am pretty sure they are the exact same thing.

The earlier unofficially released 258.96s sucked azz for me. Especially in OA. Textures loaded way too slow. So I went back to the 258.69s. Decided to try the newly released Official 258.96s. They are for lack of a better term, amazing for me in OA. They are not the same drivers if my IQ and perfornace in OA now is any indication.

Any news of the new drivers and the results?

Any difference in performance?

PLease feedback when you tested the product :)

Small bump regarding driver issues:

I've tried all of these versions so far with OA:

-197.45 WHQL

-257.21 WHQL

-258.69 Beta

-258.96 (Beta and WHQL)

And all of them give me driver crashes. Did not occur with ArmA2 prior to OA, and does not occur in any other game. It is also reproducible in that I will *always* get a driver crash in OA, though the amount of time it takes varies.

Nope, no difference at stock speeds and AFAIK no difference minus SLI, though there's no way I would play the game without it since it boosts performance considerably.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to SSAO in OA. If I set Post Processing to anything Normal or above, I get driver crashes. However, with Low, I was able to play through several missions with no issue.

Small bump regarding driver issues:

I've tried all of these versions so far with OA:

-197.45 WHQL

-257.21 WHQL

-258.69 Beta

-258.96 (Beta and WHQL)

And all of them give me driver crashes. Did not occur with ArmA2 prior to OA, and does not occur in any other game. It is also reproducible in that I will *always* get a driver crash in OA, though the amount of time it takes varies.

Hi.

Have you tried to not overclock your system, set everything back to default and see if your ArmA2 still give you driver crash?

Hi.

Have you tried to not overclock your system, set everything back to default and see if your ArmA2 still give you driver crash?

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. Didn't help. Like I said in my post before, at this point I think this is directly related to SSAO implementation in OA.

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. Didn't help. Like I said in my post before, at this point I think this is directly related to SSAO implementation in OA.

Maverick - you're an overclcoker so you probably already ran tests with this, but I finally had my first crash when our A/C died. Next time I was in the game I ran Realtemp and got an audio alarm my video card was overheating. First time I'd ever seen this. I have m NVidia profile to run max performance all the time (for ArmA2:OA), but I'm considering changing it to "adaptive".

I have a theory, in that maybe the extra PP effects are creating extra strain on the video cards causing them to get a little too hot. I don't overclock my video card (not sure if you do either), but it's something to think about. With extra cooling I haven't had the issue as the ambient temps in my house are down.

Well, my GPU are normally never higher then 75°C, and this is not only on Arma2, but other heavily GPU games to.

I think RealTemp normally have 60°C - 70°C on default GPU temp and yes is depend of what GPU card you use. To be sure, you should take a look and see if you find any info of your GPU card and see what max and normal temp are for your card.

My GPU have a maximum temperature of 105°C.

Edited by MJK-Ranger