Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

I am growing a bit weaof frame rate counters basing their experience on those numbers! OMG only 30-45 FPS in some areas whatever will we do?? I know folks that MAX out in the 20s on a good day and play ArmA 2 most every day and are having a bang up time doing it. BTW the frame rate counters traditionally have an impact on game performance so what say we quit moaning about the most brilliant game on the planet not being 'optimized' whatever that's supposed to mean.

Give it a rest....

Rig....

Plenty

FPS Enough

what that is supposed to mean is when a game has a recomended set of hardware specs to run the game well.... guess what?? it should run well... if you read my post you would see that I am having a great time if not the best time playing ARMA II... It is just sad that people with rig close to mine get less then half the preformance..thats all, i'm sure you can agree on that...

Edited by NexusPhase

....sad that people with rig close to mine...

:eek:

That's reeeeaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyyyy getting old...:rolleyes:

:619:

I am growing a bit weary of frame rate counters basing their experience on those numbers! OMG only 30-45 FPS in some areas whatever will we do?? I know folks that MAX out in the 20s on a good day and play ArmA 2 most every day and are having a bang up time doing it. BTW the frame rate counters traditionally have an impact on game performance so what say we quit moaning about the most brilliant game on the planet not being 'optimized' whatever that's supposed to mean.

Give it a rest....

Rig....

Plenty

FPS Enough

Why are you in the troubleshooting thread if your not helping. You sir are a moron.

Hey guys this is my first post on the forums.... I came here looking to get ARMA II to run better (constant 60fps) but after reading through this thread I can see that I shouldn't be mad AT ALL (see rig in sig)....90% of the time I am at 60fps 2048x1152 rez(forced Vsync&triple buff&8 pre rendered frames) The only real issue for me is the single player (Razor mission) were I drop down to 30-45FPS.

After reading through this epic thread I am sure we can't do much to fix our FPS until BI patches it....the reason I belive this is because in that same Razor mission(the one after you Laze the targets on the beach) I tryed all very low video options and got the same FPS.... It's a game issue not a hardware issue....

This game has so much potential that it angers me that it is so poorly optimized,, In fact when it runs nice and smooth I can't think of a game that I have EVER in my life had this much fun playing...... CMON BI you have an EPIC game here, one that belongs in the history books...... just don't let it become history

Settings I use--->| Rez-2048x1152| textures maxed| AF-none| video mem-default| AA-normal| view dist-4K| objects Maxed| terrain Maxed| shadows-High| post proc-low not because of slow down but because higher levs of PP look blurry|--- if i missed anything let me know..

Hey man, this is also my first post (hi everyone :)). I notice we have similar systems (with the exception of my 285GTX OC... I was wondering what opperating system you're using. I get similar performance to yours, but in order to do so I have to set Texture Detail to Normal, Object Detail to low (or very low), and Terrain Detail to low...

I'm considering dumping my 285 and getting a 295 :)

I usually get 60fps vsynced with my settings, but every now and then my fps drops dramatically (like to a crawl)... This can even happen when I'm looking at the sky, which seriously confuses me. I put my bohemia folder on the outside of my hard drive for faster performance, but it didn't seem to help...

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

I forgot to mention that I'm using XP SP3 32bit, and my gameplay resolution is 1680x1050...

Thanks

I think people who are getting 30-40 fps NEED TO COOL THERE TOOL im lucky if i can get 20 and i go over recommended specs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE HAPPY WITH 30-40 FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there a way i can get better fps?????? i have a duel core prossesor that gets 3.80.Ghz with a Nvidia GEFORCE 9500 GT AND I HAVE 2 GIGS OF RAM plz help me with my lag problem

Edited by wizbomb

... 9500 GT...
Buy a real card...the 9500 is ok for a 1024/768 resolution with all at normal(maybe).

Buy a real card...the 9500 is ok for a 1024/768 resolution with all at normal(maybe).

I use a 9500GT at 1280x1024 res with a Pentium D 2.8 ghz,4gb of ram on XP...

Texture - V High

Memory- Default

Anti Filter- V High

AA- Off

Terrain- V Low

Objects detail- Low

Shader detail-normal/off

PP Effects- Off

Aspect ratio- 5-4

with a few tweaks and the 190.38 beta drivers i get 20-25 fps average.

with a few tweaks and the 190.38 beta drivers i get 20-25 fps average.

that is very interesting to know. on my second box i am using q6600 with two 8800GTS (640mb) I get the same frame rate average. with similar settings.

And i would love to run my CPU higher and tired it but my system halted on boot @ 3.0 ghz (i had set it up in bios like this: multiplier 9 x333 fsb so it would be 1:1 with full memory speed(667mhz) but it refused to boot so i kept it like this and to gain some more oc knowledge first. i see u have a newer bios version so i look into that fist.

I think my memory is whats halted my system, but im not sure. I did not mess with voltages yet except setting the vcore locked at 1.3. btw what are your core temps @ 3.7? and any thoughts on how i could get it to 3.6? should i overclock memory also so it stay's 1:1?

BTW my resolution is 1680x1050

At 3.7ghz my CPU cores idle in the low 50's and never break the mid 60's under load, if that... and it's summer time, and hot. My "do not exceed" is 70c for this CPU so I'm content as is, and it's not a 24/7 OC anyway. It spends most of the day at stock speeds, then I boot up into 3.7 when I sit to do some gaming, hd video editing or 3d stuff.

I'm at 9x412 (1651 quad), 1.45v on the cores. SB is set to 1.5v (lowest it will go, auto runs it at 1.52v) and NB at 1.45v. Memory is running at 2.0v at 825mhz (linked/synced) and timings at 4-3-3-5-2T. You'd probably need more vcore and some more volts to the NB, but it's your rig so I won't go so far as to advise. This is just what I'm doing, and it works for me.

I think people who are getting 30-40 fps NEED TO COOL THERE TOOL im lucky if i can get 20 and i go over recommended specs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE HAPPY WITH 30-40 FPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there a way i can get better fps?????? i have a duel core prossesor that gets 3.80.Ghz with a Nvidia GEFORCE 9500 GT AND I HAVE 2 GIGS OF RAM plz help me with my lag problem

As for you, we've been over this. You have a 1.8ghz dual core processor, not a 3.8. Keep that in mind. You need a faster processor, likely a new mobo to support it, more RAM (likely new RAM as I bet yours is only DDR), a better video card (or better yet, cards) and an updated OS (at this point, Win7). In that order.

I'm at 9x412 (1651 quad), 1.45v on the cores. SB is set to 1.5v.

Did you not touch the cpu vvt core voltage? because i can only seem to get over 3.0 ghz if i set this to 1.4v. but i also read its "dangerous" to increase this part.

Did you not touch the cpu vvt core voltage? because i can only seem to get over 3.0 ghz if i set this to 1.4v. but i also read its "dangerous" to increase this part.

Sorry yes, my VTT is at 1.55v with no troubles at all. I highly recommend you look over this long ass thread. It's got just about everything you could ever want to know about overclocking on this board.

Sorry yes, my VTT is at 1.55v with no troubles at all. I highly recommend you look over this long ass thread. It's got just about everything you could ever want to know about overclocking on this board.
Ok thanks for your help. I go play on with the settings to see if i can get it ip to 3.6 because i noticed FPS increased a little at 3.0ghz already. yeeeeh:D

No problem. Don't get frustrated if you find yourself stuck. I tested the hell out of this thing and found an FSB hole right around the 3.6 are where I was trying to get. NOTHING I could do would get me stable at anything between 3.4 and 3.6, but as soon as I pushed it a bit past to 3.7 it was rock solid again. I can do 3.8 but it's not 100% and 3.9 is just not happening. I ended up with 3.3 and 3.7 as good solid OC's, in between were no good.

Anyway, you might have to hunt around a bit to find your sweet spot.

Anyone with one or two GTX 295s gotten around to testing the game with 1.03 in Windows Vista/7. Problem used to be CTDs very often in multiplayer.

Anyone with one or two GTX 295s gotten around to testing the game with 1.03 in Windows Vista/7. Problem used to be CTDs very often in multiplayer.

Try to manually set your fan speed to 80% or higher by using riva tuner for example.

Even though the nvidia cards should work proper with ~80°, cooling them to below 60° in that manner helped me reducing my CTDs by two thirds.

I think its the memory who does not like high temperatures rather than the GPU itself...

Try to manually set your fan speed to 80% or higher by using riva tuner for example.

Even though the nvidia cards should work proper with ~80°, cooling them to below 60° in that manner helped me reducing my CTDs by two thirds.

I think its the memory who does not like high temperatures rather than the GPU itself...

Well, on almost full whack in Arma 2, and other games over longer periods of time, my GPU temps doesnt get closer to 60 degrees than 55-56ish. I have a very well cooled cabinett, and a condition controlled computerroom where its located.

I tried jibbing them up to 80 with 1.02, didnt do jack for me sadly. Thanks for the tip tho. Seems to be related to gtx 295/gtx 260s the most.

Heading towards just giving up, and coming back in a year. Maybe the game works for me then.

Seems to be related to gtx 295/gtx 260s the most.

Good to hear you got a decent cooling.

My card wasnt going to the high temps too, but strangely tweaking the fan helped.

Anyway, did you read the other bazillion posts around the issues regarding to the 295 cards on the forum?

I'm not concerened by those because I'm not using such a card, but I know that many problem-posts exist, as well as many solutions for problems.

I'm sure you did already try the serach option...

Could you gimme your whole system specs along with some details what you already tweaked? Also, a copy of your values oflocalVRAM and nonlocalVRAM from the config could prove helpful. :)

Well, after some testing of the new patch 1.03 i didn't found any problems, more smooth game play. Same FPS in game... well maybe a new CPU will give me more FPS.. since ArmA2 use lot of horsepower. But the overall performance are "OK" i can live with it..:)

Well, after some testing of the new patch 1.03 i didn't found any problems, more smooth game play. Same FPS in game... well maybe a new CPU will give me more FPS.. since ArmA2 use lot of horsepower. But the overall performance are "OK" i can live with it..:)

Overclocked current CPU > new CPU :)

I will put my findings here because there are a lot of treads about the performance, but i have nvidia so i can only say the following for the nvidia cards.

Have the game since friday and spent most of my time now tweaking it because performance was bad. First of al my system specs :

Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz

nvidia 750SLI chipset

2x 500 Gb raid striping 4 partitions

4Gb 800Mhz ram

vista 32

XFX 250 GTS 512 mb

These are my findings :

oc cpu further no big performance

oc gpu no big performance

all the tweaks that you can find on this forum, no big performance but it got more stable no more big frame drops.

I play the campaign arround 23 fps and it stays there, little drops to 20 fps but hats it. thats playble for me because this is no high end rig anymore.

But i notticed something weird.

My gfx almost doesnt heat up in the campaign.

idlle its arround 55 C

on load in the campaign it goes to arround 65 C

This is strange to me, because in arma1 i get 75 C and fan spinning up in arma2 no fan spinning up and 65 C

I also have a meter for the watss my total system is using.

in arma1 and other games it usses more then 340 watts.

in arma2 in the menu it usses arround 305 watts.

when i start the campaign and play it it drops 15 watts !

so i am thinking some how arma2 isnt using the full power of my gfx.

no heting almost, dropping watts etc. etc.

that for me is a sign it is not working hard.

dont know why, did every tweak, renaming the exe etc. etc. etc.

but if power consumption is going down and there is nog big heating of the gfx something telse me its not working as hard as it should be.

i noticed the same thing and my system is half as beefy as yours with equal performance...). also i noticed that whatever changes i made had no major influence on performance in the game... the FPS in the menue screen however seem to be varying... i wonder if there is some engine that doesnt initialise for the actual game itself....
My System:

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1

Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)

System Model: Asus P5K

BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/14/08 13:59:09 Ver: 08.00.12

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz

Memory: 2814MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

Manufacturer: Asus

Chip type: GeForce GTX 295

Driver: 186.18 + physX latest driver

Arma 2 Steam version

On my system it is impossible to get the game playable at a decent frame rate (30fps) or higher. All of the suggestions mentioned in this topic have been tried, but no success in raising the frame rate. It does not matter if I use low or high settings, dual gpu or single gpu, physX on or off, SLI enhancement from EVGA, other drivers. The first loading screen with the battleship does show that it is possible to increase the FPS by adjusting settings, but as soon as I go in-game the frame rate drops to an unplayable fps.

Question for technical support from BIS: How is this possible? Is there a chance that we as legal buyers of this game get an official explanation of where the problems originate?

Also I would like to know on what configuration the development team developped and played this game and what drivers they used and what settings they used. Maybe this would be of some help already.

Is there currently being worked on patches to deal with the graphical problems?

I believe that we as consumers have the right to a formal answer.

Same exact problem. Whatever is my settings (1680*1050 with everyting high or normal, or 800*600 with everyting low) i get no more than 25FPS and everytime i move the camera frames DROP dramatically and i cannot play.

Drops started after i patched to 1.03 and updated nvidia drivers to 190.38. Before the problem was "only" the no-more-than-25-fps.

Vista64 sp1

Core2 e6750

2GB ram

nVidia 8800GT 512

Asus p5kr

Lets not forget that using the CAA1 mod and playing arma 1 maps, we get a 25-40fps increase, and to be honest, arma 2's environments dont look all that much better.

That means theres a lot of wasted power going into Chern and Utes.

I was having major issues with the game pre patch and although I am still getting them post patch. The game is much more stable. Performance has never been an issue as I have a decent card Geforce285. However, I would get white textures and then a CTD.

This was whilst running at 1920x1200. I have since dropped the res to 1600'ish (cant remmber exactly as not at home). This has made the game very stable and I have been through alot of the single player game now with no issues (other than the usual odd CTD and ...receiving... lock up when loading a mission. I hope they can sort this out so that I can run 1920x1200 eventually. This game is awesome though....

I am running the latest beta drivers.