Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

8GB system RAM

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (x2)

Driver version: 186.18

Stream processors: 112

Core clock: 600 MHz

Shader clock 1500 MHz

Memory clock: 900 MHz (1800 MHz data rate)

Memory Interface: 256-bit

Total available graphics memory: 4092 MB

Dedicated video memory: 512 MB

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 3580 MB

Video BIOS version: 62.92.24.00.70

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

At first things had the blocky textures and i tried everything but none of it worked until the -winxp command. But when that fixed the visuals the performance got very choppy. I tried lowering everything but it showed no noticeable difference in performance. Any suggestions?

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

8GB system RAM

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (x2)

Driver version: 186.18

Stream processors: 112

Core clock: 600 MHz

Shader clock 1500 MHz

Memory clock: 900 MHz (1800 MHz data rate)

Memory Interface: 256-bit

Total available graphics memory: 4092 MB

Dedicated video memory: 512 MB

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 3580 MB

Video BIOS version: 62.92.24.00.70

IRQ: 16

Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

At first things had the blocky textures and i tried everything but none of it worked until the -winxp command. But when that fixed the visuals the performance got very choppy. I tried lowering everything but it showed no noticeable difference in performance. Any suggestions?

There have been posted so many suggestions, but there is not 1 that will help you increase the framerate like you want it. Believe me, I've tried them all (even on 3 OS: XP, Vista, Win7). There is only 1 suggestion: wait for decent patches in the next months or so.

And those who are posting things like: 'On my system, it runs great'. I don't believe it until you prove it with a screenshot with Fraps enabled in a city level and AI units visible. Otherwise: stop posting this crap in a troubleshooting forum.

upgraded from a 8800gtx to 285gtx xxx. Although there's preformanceincrease, I still hoped for a lot more in high settings, especially running 1280x1024.

but what about an SSD with ArmA?

it will not gives you more fps, but probably more stable, especially in cities & forrests I guess, because there's a lots of diskactivity

ps. what does the -noCB stands for?

XP?

I think its Nvidia's drivers at fault on Win 7 RC.

its Vista... and I'm working on getting fraps

upgraded from a 8800gtx to 285gtx xxx. Although there's preformanceincrease, I still hoped for a lot more in high settings, especially running 1280x1024.

but what about an SSD with ArmA?

it will not gives you more fps, but probably more stable, especially in cities & forrests I guess, because there's a lots of diskactivity

ps. what does the -noCB stands for?

I'm planning on buying an SSD for this game. A seperate drive with just ArmA on it.

I expect it to perhaps raise the minimum FPS and specifically speed up the LOD load times. To tidy up those scruffy textures.

SSD tests with Crisis raised the FPS by 10 because of all the zippy streaming. (0.1 ms seek times not 6ms).

ArmA is definitely one of those games that an SSD will improve. But er, not by much I expect...

Current forum theory is that the FPS problems are caused by the AI. It's a CPU bottleneck that not even the latest CPU can overcome.

Edited by Baff1

Hey guys. I made my fraps video of my glitch BUT.. I don't know how to upload it... even the compressed clip which is about 15sec long is... 416mb in size... is that normal? What do I do now to share it?

Current forum theory is that the FPS problems are caused by the AI. It's a CPU bottleneck that not even the latest CPU can overcome.

Who's theory?

I dual boot and can play in both XP and Win 7 RC.

Only difference is O/S and drivers.

Experience in XP is far smoother than Win 7 RC.

IMPLICATION: Win 7 RC display drivers are in need of significant optimisation.

My games runs like absolute ASS, 1920x, all Very high, except AA on LOW and memory on default... Setting the resolution lower seems to do very little, in fact changing any of the settings does very little.

Chernogorsk, 10-15FPS!!!

Q9550 @ 3.4ghz Quad CPU

8 Gigs of DDR2 1066

GTX295

Raptor

Vista x64

182.50s

this is a video of my graphic glitch. I have 2 gtx 280 cards sli'd with the fix that was proposed on the first post of this thread. Can someone tell me how to fix the graphic problem?

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj92/vostovblackblade/?action=view&current=graphic.flv

That looks normal to me. Well, at least normal for a BIS game. That's what my game looks like all the time. Oh, and since you have a really nice nVidia card, try disabling SLI. When I run SLI in Windows 7 its ok. If I run SLI in XP, FPS degrade with time and drop into the teens and there's no recovering from that other than exiting the game. Once I disabled SLI, even FPS down near the 15FPS range is a lot smoother than 25FPS when SLI is running. For now I'm playing with one card until either nVidia or BIS sort things out. Your 280 should be able to hande this game at a modest resolution. I think the game is CPU bound anyway so I think the CPU you're packing is more important.

Edited by nuggetz

That looks normal to me. Well, at least normal for a BIS game. That's what my game looks like all the time. Oh, and since you have a really nice nVidia card, try disabling SLI. When I run SLI in Windows 7 its ok. If I run SLI in XP, FPS degrade with time and drop into the teens and there's no recovering from that other than exiting the game. Once I disabled SLI, even FPS down near the 15FPS range is a lot smoother than 25FPS when SLI is running. For now I'm playing with one card until either nVidia or BIS sort things out. Your 280 should be able to hande this game at a modest resolution. I think the game is CPU bound anyway so I think the CPU you're packing is more important.

Well, I'm running vista and I was on power conserve mode. I usually get 80fps on full settings (with everything maxed and 3500view distance). So am I really supposed to tolerate the imagery that appears this trashy? This can't be normal.

Hi my pc E8500 @3.170 GTX260 897mb

i have changed my native resolution from 1920x1080 to 1820x1080 from the control panel nvidia driver

AnisoFilter I turned the driver over 8x

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1820;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1820;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=927358720;

nonlocalVRAM=527433727;

TexQuality=1;

TexMemory=2;

useWBuffer=0;

shadingQuality=10;

shadowQuality=3;

play fast in the woods and the City

you try :p by (sry for my english :o)

this is a video of my graphic glitch. I have 2 gtx 280 cards sli'd with the fix that was proposed on the first post of this thread. Can someone tell me how to fix the graphic problem?

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj92/vostovblackblade/?action=view&current=graphic.flv

I'm watching that vid waiting for a glitch that never came. Then I rewatched it and finally saw it. I always just thought that "blinking" was normal for this engine at mid settings. I just assumed it would go away if it was running high/very high.

I'm watching that vid waiting for a glitch that never came. Then I rewatched it and finally saw it. I always just thought that "blinking" was normal for this engine at mid settings. I just assumed it would go away if it was running high/very high.

I had that problem in ArmA1. But not in ArmA2 :)

hello reaper.

it may be something you have overlooked. but it is a 500w PSU that you are using to drive all that hardware plus a major overclock.

i suggest you at least try a 650w supply with the hardware that you are running as a 500w supply (especially a el cheapo TAGAN) is inadequate to efficiently power all your devices.

if you wish to narrow down the cause of your crashes, you should at least try a higher wattage PSU with plenty of juice on the 12v rail. as both your overclock and your zotac will consume a lot of power.

regards./

If it's Tagan Silverpower series is perfectly fine

OK Thanks.. i will try Enermax 650W soon... another 120 euro investment.

edit:

does anyone know witch Powersuply is better ?

SilverStone Element ST65EF, 650W ATX 2.2

Enermax MODU82+ 625W (EMD625AWT)

Enermax LibertyECO 620W ATX 2.3

Zalman ZM600-HP 600W ATX 2.2

The zalman and enermax liberty look good, I would avoid the silverstone element series, but now, any of the following is top notch:

-Corsair 620HX

-Ultra X-Pro 600W

-PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W

-Silverstone OP/DA 650W

-Seasonic S12/M12 650W

-Thermaltake toughpower 650W

-Sparkle R 600W

I have a PC Power & Cooling unit running strong almost 2 years now, no problems with it.

Hi my pc E8500 @3.170 GTX260 897mb

i have changed my native resolution from 1920x1080 to 1820x1080 from the control panel nvidia driver

AnisoFilter I turned the driver over 8x

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1820;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1820;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=927358720;

nonlocalVRAM=527433727;

TexQuality=1;

TexMemory=2;

useWBuffer=0;

shadingQuality=10;

shadowQuality=3;

play fast in the woods and the City

you try :p by (sry for my english :o)

That actually works for me. In Chernogorsk city it's still a bit laggy sometimes, but a huge performance boost. And most of all: it looks great!

If you play in first person view: set headbobbing in your arma 2 profile to 0, which makes it even smoother.

Thanks a lot.

PS: it's not perfect, but this is the best performance config I have tried. Now just a performance patch (or two) and it might become very playable.

i got that in arma 1 and arma 2! annoying as hell!

right, ive done everything ont he very 1st post of this thread (except change from 8Gb to 4GB as the -winxp or -maxmem wouldnt work) and nothing, my fps on main menu carrier went up from 60 using crysis to 72 using arma 2, but in game is awful, i as getting 40+ frames BUT my textures wouldnt loads, vehicles would b a blob until u ran right upto it and waited a few seconds! very annoying, so looks like back to 182.50 drivers AGAIN! this is getting a bit beyond now, there seems to b no solid fix, just a few fixes that ppl have managed to get working, its like a bloody lottery, chances of getting a fix bloody slim :p

heres latest config file

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=4;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=204664832;

nonlocalVRAM=204664832;

as i said i tried everything on 1st post, so newest drivers 186.18 and SLI patch V1. also disabling VSYNc and forcing physx off.

After fiddling around with the settings for a few days, I figured it was time to find out how much impact each one had. I found myself a nice FPS taxing area (mix of forest, a couple of houses and water in the distance).

Settings before test (each one changed individually):

Resolution - 1280x1024

3D Res - 100%

View-distance - 1600

Textures - Very High

Memory - Very High

AF - Very High

AA - Normal

Terrain - Normal

Objects - Normal

Shadows - High

Post-processing - Disabled

Max pre-rendered frames - 3

VSync - Let application decide (on)

Triple buffering - Off

FPS before test - 20

Settings and impact on FPS:

Textures - Any (0)

Memory - Any (0)

AF - Disabled (+1)

AA - Very High (-3) Off (+2)

Terrain - Very Low (+4) Low (+1) Very High (-2)

Objects - Very Low (+5) Low (+4) Very High (-7)

Shadows - Very High (-2) Low (0) Off (+1)

Post-processing - Low (-1) High (-2) Very High (-3)

View-distance - 600 (0) 2600 (-0.5) 10000 (-2)

Resolution - 1024x768 (+8) 800x600 (+16) 640x480 (+26)

3D Res - 88% (+4) 83% (+5) 80% (+7) 125% (-5) 150% (-10) 200% (-17)

Max pre-rendered frames - 8 (-4) 1 (-2)

VSync - Off (0) Triple Buffering (-1)

Hope this is helpful to someone. Specs are in my sig. Test was performed under a cut-down version of XP SP3.

Edited by bhaz
details, added nvidia settings

What you guys need to remember is that the FPS by itself doesnt say much.

You might have only -1 FPS by changing a setting but the lag is worse. It's more like the drag since its how fast the background render moves along with your mouse.

I find that when I think I'm getting the same or slightly lower FPS (by changing AF to higher setting for instance) I'm actualy having a harder time aiming which means the drag got worse.

I know these open world games tend to do that (Oblivion, Gothic, Stalker, etc)

The FPS might look the same but check the smoothness when moving/aiming, you'll know what I'm talking about when you start noticing it.

Laters

The only settings that seem to effect mouse delay for me are high anti-aliasing and object detail. It usually sits around 1/4 of a second, which is odd for an FPS game but doesn't really bother me.

After trying 101 drivers for my 8800GTX 756MB, the 180.48 vista x64 are the absolute best and allow me to run the game on very high, view distance of 4000 meters and normal AA around 40 fps:

Specs: win 7 x64, x2 6400, 2 gb and 8800 GTX running @1440*900

It also prevents the popup textures when zooming.

Give them a try when you own an older card.

Grtz

Edited by p75