Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

No i forgott to do this.. how can i uninstall them ? i cant find the old Driver in my Control panel.

Windows 7 is fine... i drive the same config on my Gaming Computer on LCD-TV and on this it Runs great @ 1920x1080 with Q9950 @ 4x 3.1 GH

Hi there.... at the last Hour i Updated my Computer from ATI 3870 x2 to a NVIDIA GTX 285 AMP... But now Arma2 Crashs after 2 - 4 Minutes. I only get ma Black Screen and my Computer is Rebooting..

I dont change any other stuff...

Config:

Intel Core Extreme X9650 @ 4x 3,6 GH (Watercooled)

3GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 ( Only 3 GB because 1 GB is damaged and must be removed )

Asus Maximus Formula

Zotac NVDIA GTX 285 AMP

System is Windows 7 RC1 64Bit with newsest Nvidia 64Bit Win7 drivers.

Hope you can helo me !! With my old card Arma2 Runs greate but i need Nvidia Cude for some new Projects.

Nearly the same config here - and quite the same problem, too.

Even though playing time between crashes range from 5-50 minutes...

Im sorry but BI really screwed up their required specs bigggtime.. We shouldnt have to do all these tweaks everyone is posting, most of which dont improve jack squat. I have the GTX280 (less than week old) and i cant even look left or right without it stopping, thinking, then displaying....

running well above their crap recommended specs, have to run things on low to make it smooth, medium its really not even playable...on a brand new 280... what bs bi....

cpu aint great but meets their recommended specs (4400 recommended), running amd 5200 2.6 dual core, vista enterprise 64bit, 4 gigs ram, and the GTX280 with 1 gig ram onboard... and the game is friggin unplayble other than on low settings with shadows off, AA off, post processing off at 1024x768...

next month im upgrading the cpu to a 3.2ghz and if it still stutters after that bi can go F*** themselves and their suggested specs and can dedicate their next patch to making this crap playable...

EDIT

the 2 best things i found to increase performance in my case:

1) disabling the physX

2) in the nvidia control panel increasing the pre rendered frames by the cpu before the gpu..

still plan on upgrading the cpu next month...

Edited by wingtip

hi all

sli patch for arma ii

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_sli_profile_patch.html

kind regards walker

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

I fail to understand what "current affairs" you are talking about but fair enough, I shall say no more.Even though my mother died of cancer 17 years ago.

Sure she would be proud you hide behind a keyboard calling people d1ckhead on the intraweb.

the 2 best things i found to increase performance in my case:

2) in the nvidia control panel increasing the pre rendered frames by the cpu before the gpu..

I think it's the other way around. If your CPU is bottlenecking then you should lower that pre rendered frames by the CPU. That way your CPU can use more power to AI calculations and not rendering stuff that should be done with GPU.

I changed that to 0 and i got more stable framerates now. Obviously maximum fps didn't increase, but overall fps is slightly better. It doesn't go under 20 so often.

Edited by Potatomasher

I changed that to 0 and i got more stable framerates now. Obviously maximum fps didn't increase, but overall fps is slightly better. It doesn't go under 20 so often.

I recommend the default driver setting for prerenderd frames. If you change this setting, you should actually read (and understood) the description for this setting.

In case of arma2 and a actual gpu it's better to go 1 or max. 2 steps lower then increasing this setting. i.e. if the GPU really accept commands for 8 pre-rendered frames from cpu at a framerate of 24 fps, you will have a 'lag' of 1/3 sec. Anyway arma2 don't looks it calculates that much frames ahead.

http://www.nhancer.com/?dat=d_optimizations#Prerender

I recommend the default driver setting for prerenderd frames. If you change this setting, you should actually read (and understood) the description for this setting.

In case of arma2 and a actual gpu it's better to go 1 or max. 2 steps lower then increasing this setting. i.e. if the GPU really accept commands for 8 pre-rendered frames from cpu at a framerate of 24 fps, you will have a 'lag' of 1/3 sec. Anyway arma2 don't looks it calculates that much frames ahead.

http://www.nhancer.com/?dat=d_optimizations#Prerender

Well everyone can use setting they find best. Fraps clearly show that 3 or lower is definetly better than 8 so that's what i use.

Well everyone can use setting they find best

Yes - and they do. You've noticed i confirmed your message? (my english isn't that good - i hope anyone understand me)

I've done that because this is one of many tweaks i found that will work and going to prevent other users to test over things that have none or negative effects. For many users it's hard to find differences while changing settings or they misinterpret them.

i.e. i see others setting pre-rendered frames up to max in a automated profile, which doesn't work (it must be set globally if used with direct3d), and reporting back they had increasements... which can't be. Or others installing a SLI Fix with a single GPU and report FPS increase - where must be another reason.

And finally they have so meany tweaks installed parallel, that no one can retrace which setting has the most deciding reason that others can benefit from.

Edited by apollo4war

SO now i have Removed all old ATI drivers and installed the NVIDIA 185.8 Drivers... But problem is still there. After 2 - 30 mins the Game Crash with a one Color Screen Black/Olive and i must Reboot my Computer.

Hi there.... at the last Hour i Updated my Computer from ATI 3870 x2 to a NVIDIA GTX 285 AMP... But now Arma2 Crashs after 2 - 4 Minutes. I only get ma Black Screen and my Computer is Rebooting..

I dont change any other stuff...

Config:

Intel Core Extreme X9650 @ 4x 3,6 GH (Watercooled)

3GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 ( Only 3 GB because 1 GB is damaged and must be removed )

Asus Maximus Formula

Zotac NVDIA GTX 285 AMP

System is Windows 7 RC1 64Bit with newsest Nvidia 64Bit Win7 drivers.

Hope you can helo me !! With my old card Arma2 Runs greate but i need Nvidia Cude for some new Projects.

Yes - and they do. You've noticed i confirmed your message? (my english isn't that good - i hope anyone understand me)

I've done that because this is one of many tweaks i found that will work and going to prevent other users to test over things that have none or negative effects. For many users it's hard to find differences while changing settings or they misinterpret them.

i.e. i see others setting pre-rendered frames up to max in a automated profile, which doesn't work (it must be set globally in use with direct3d), and reporting back they had increasment... which can't be. Or others installing a SLI Fix with a single GPU and report FPS increase, where must be another reason.

And finally they have so meany tweaks installed parallel, that no one can retrace which setting has the most deciding reason that others can benefit from.

Yes there really is many tweaks here & there. I don't remember a single game that users had posted this many tweaks. :D

I have probably used more time to try out different settings than playing the damn game. :)

Anyone who has updated their graphics drivers and are experiencing odd colours and other anomalies, please be sure you've taken the time to do the uninstall/reinstall properly as outlined here. I hope it's helpful.

SO now i have Removed all old ATI drivers and installed the NVIDIA 185.8 Drivers... But problem is still there. After 2 - 30 mins the Game Crash with a one Color Screen Black/Olive and i must Reboot my Computer.

try turning texture level and gfx-memory to just "high".

now i have ~5-6 hours between crashes instead 5-30 minutes ;)

nevermind - that was a one-timer.

gahh... frustrating.

Edited by -s!Gm4-

I discovered that if I put the video settings automatically, such as on high \ very high to me the game runs very fast, but if I put the settings manually bad game. my pc & E8500 @3.17 nvidia GTX260 216 sp 869mb ram 4gb 800mhz

i've 25 to 60 fps MP SP

sorry for my English

Hmmmm.... i play on 1920x1200 all Settings on Ultra High... my GPU get a Temerature of 85 - 88 °C then the Game Crash... can this be the Problem ?

try turning texture level and gfx-memory to just "high".

now i have ~5-6 hours between crashes instead 5-30 minutes ;)

Hmmmm.... i play on 1920x1200 all Settings on Ultra High... my GPU get a Temerature of 85 - 88 °C then the Game Crash... can this be the Problem ?

my card will go as high as 91° C when stressed (according to furmark)

But I read on different occasions that around 90 degrees is something like normal for a gfx card.

I'm no pro on this, so I'm open to any other oppinions as well.

As I stated in various other threads: I do think that the problem of the crashes is related to the gfx-driver.

Sometimes the game just switches me out on the desktop and tells me that the driver stopped working and was uhm.. restored or whatever.

But most of the time the screen turns just black, the monitor tells me he's got "no signal" anymore and I need to reset my PC.

Now, I read something about the WDDM (please, google for yourself for the sake of familiarizing yourself with possible crash-sources) and Im not yet entirely convinced that this tiny thing has nothing to do with it...

Maybe someone with more proficiency in driver-things and such could voice his op on this, too.

edit: added some links for reference for my mentioned previous postings

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73113&page=7

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78326

Edited by -s!Gm4-

That temp is fine for your GPU. Anything over 92ish can start giving you problems.

What sort of card (Make/Model) do you have? cause some cards like mine (EVGA 8800GToc) have programs that allow you to fine tune your card & boost fan speeds.

My GPU runs at around 60-65°c on 1920x1200 in ArmA 2. Other games it can reach 90 but hasn't since downloading the the program. 75 is the tops

Same Problem with the Commandline (-winxp -openal -noCB -nosplash )

i have a Zotac GTX285 AMP Edition

I have Completle Format my Computer and now Running a fresh System.. but Crash Still there... i also installed the 185.85 Drivers.. the Same Drivers running on my LAN/Gamer-PC with the same Videocard.. but on this Computer i dont have any Problems...

i also testet some Settings:

1920x1200 All on Ultra High = Crash up to 5 minutes

1920x1200 All in Normal = Crash up to 5 - 10 Minutes

1280x800 All on Ultra High = Crash up to 7 - 10 Minutes

1280x800 All on Normal = Crash up to 10 - 15 Minutes

1024x768 All Ultra High = Crash up to 30 - 60 Minutes

1024x768 All all on Normal = No Crash above 2 Hours

So that Suxx... i dont have payed over 300 Euros for getting a Blackscreen !

i dont understand this Crash because my second comupter running great with the same Videocard..

Here are the 2 Config:

Crash Computer:

Intel Core 2 Qual Extreme X9650 @ 4x3,6 GH

3GB Kingston HypterX DDR2 1066 Ram

Asus Maximus Formula Motherboard

Zotac Geforce GTX285 AMP Edition

Targan 500Watt Engerie

Windows 7 RC1 with all Updates

Nvidia Drivers: 185.85

3 Harddrives and 2 BluRay-Drives

Running Computer (Second)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4x 3GH

4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 Ram

Asus P5Q-EM

Zotac Geforce GTX285 AMP Edition

Enermax Modu82+ 525Watt Engerie

Windows 7 RC1 with all Updates

Nvidia Driver: 185.85

1 Harddrive and 1 BluRay-drive

Edited by R34P3R

Use RivaTuner to set your Fan speed manually to 91 - 96% or more and monitor your temperature. I had some temperature problems before.. since i found this tool and set the fan speed manually, never had problem again. The problem is nvidia GPU Diode temperature get more higher than GPU temperature. For me this helped. Not sure about the GTX 285 temperature spec.

Turn down your settings,and enjoy:D

i dont have payed 300 Euro to play with low Quality !

So now.... the GTX285 AMP is Overclocked out of the Box with 702 mhz... at the Night i have use the Zotac Tool to Downclock the Card to 650 mhz this is the standard clock of all other 285 series... NOW.... the Game runned above 5 Hours without any problem on 1920x1200 !! i think that the GPU need to mutch Power on the high clock and my Powersuply of 500 Watt is to low for my complete Hardware.

Edited by R34P3R

Got artifacts ? Mine are almost gone :)

==> http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2607#note-6

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Hi.

THe following might help you with the random video driver crash of arma2

try the following

"D:\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -winxp -openal -noCB -nosplash

You can view my problem here if you are interested.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2607

that's what i said in the above post

-openal changed my life man :)

So much thanks :)

Edited by Blueshift