Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

I have a simple mission I use to test gfx performance in forests etc. My FPS are at 45 when on normal view and 29 when zoomed at a particular bush with trees in the background. I turn on AA to Low, now my normal view FPS change to 40 and my Zoomed in FPS change to 35...weird, but I ain't complaining :). I tested this several times with the same result.

9800GTX SLI (186.18)

C2Q9300

4gb

VistaU64

I am using a 256MB GE Force 7600 GT and the game runs fine on many of the settings but explosions, grass and the gun smoke are all strange colors that change like a rainbow. I've tried changing all of my Nvidia settings and in game settings and it still continues to do this. Some trees are also randomly white as well. Is there a known fix for this?

Thank you

These days 8====D + 8=====D and (|) + (|) are systems and only in Utah can you have 8===D + (|) + (|) + (|) be a system

Montana: 8===D + serta-sheep-smiley.jpg

WTF is this dickhead talking about?

As we all know by now, is that the game is built on CPU performance and not GPU performance. My opinion about why this is, is simple: the game is built to run on the Xbox 360 (which was cancelled just before release). It's the same story as Grand Theft Auto IV for PC. GTA4 for PC was a (bad) simple port of the 360-version, and had/has poor frame rates on PC's that have high end graphic cards, because the game was CPU-oriented (3 CPU's). Im' sure this is the same with Arma 2. So no drivers from nVidia or ATI will be able to solve this problem. We can only hope that here will be patches from BIS that might enhance the low FPS everybody is suffering from. But if an engine is built to use the resources of CPU's, there is little that patches can do. For it to run optimal on PC's, the code of the engine has to be re-written. And honestly, I don't see that happening. If I'm right about what I just said (and I'm pretty sure I am), I think BIS should be ashamed, because that is not how you treat the community that supported you since Operation Flashpoint.

Too bad there is no warranty on software, because I would definately ask my money back because the game simply does not work according to the recommended specifications.

I agree that the performance issues are CPU oriented rather than GPU oriented.

However I don't understand the conclusion about 3-core xbox360. Many in here run on quad core systems, slightly better but till with mediocre result.

The only real differences seems to be running higher cpu speed.

Yes but remember the 360 is 720p and the graphical effects would have been turnde down.

Play the game at that res with all settings on normal and you will fing the 360 could have coped no problem.

But if this is the case then why not release the game on 360 or are we PC gamers doing a beta test before it comes to 360!!!!!!

Yes but remember the 360 is 720p and the graphical effects would have been turnde down.

Play the game at that res with all settings on normal and you will fing the 360 could have coped no problem.

But if this is the case then why not release the game on 360 or are we PC gamers doing a beta test before it comes to 360!!!!!!

360 runs up to 1080p native given the application / media you are using.

It is cpu bound but blaming that on a Xbox 360 port is an odd conclusion to draw as the 'cpu code' for the Xbox 360 port would be PowerPC rather than x86 so the odds of them sharing a code base are pretty remote. As Bilko points out Quad Core cpus do deliver a boost to FPS but not enough to suggest that a dual core system is a sever bottleneck. No I suspect we'll just need to wait for the patches for speed boosts however given the lack of significant disparity between 9800GTX cards and GT260+ solutions I'd suggest there's a few fps waiting to be unlocked in the drivers too though.

If this is the case that ARMA2 is CPU dependent then there should be spec that would give better performance, no? It seems that the Core i7 guys are in the same boat as the rest of us. What's it gonna take component wise to whip this game?

Not sure how to use this. Any help would be appreciated. I have the nvidia system software loaded. Where do I find this profile.

I think I might be missing something, but I have run out of solutions.

I tried the -maxmem=2047 and -winxp. I have latest 186.18 Nvidia drivers will the suggested evga and nvidia arma2 profile and my games still looks ugly.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/19303139864-1247109429-74702/

2x 8800GTS

8 Gig ram

Dual 3.00Ghz CPU

Is there plans for a patch or an update for this problem? The only solution for me is to resort to earlier nvidia drivers. Kinda bummer...

Have the same issue - rendering problems with 186.18 drivers (previous 182.50 was ok.)

GF 260 GTX

8Gb RAM

Vista x64

Should I return old drivers, or other solution exists?

WTF is this dickhead talking about?

Admittedly I actually had to read the post and apply some basic knowledge of current affairs in order to understand the joke but it's pretty funny.

Shut up now.

Admittedly I actually had to read the post and apply some basic knowledge of current affairs in order to understand the joke but it's pretty funny.

Shut up now.

I fail to understand what "current affairs" you are talking about but fair enough, I shall say no more.Even though my mother died of cancer 17 years ago.

ok I tried this profile load and it has changed something in a bad way. when I go into the game now my view is permanently zoomed in and I cant unzoom my view. I tried deleting the profile, the arma.cfg, my armaprofile and it wont unzoom. how do I get rid of this.

just thought i'd mention that with the -winxp launch command with 8800GTX i get graphical anomalies. blocked buildings. textures that don't load, etc.

taking this command off remedies the problem.

I'm still doing my homework on this game:

* nVidia beta patch works only with XP, not Vista (at least on my GTX295). Framerates are above 30 in XP but...

* When there are no AI enemies present, you will get high framerates with the beta patch. But when enemies (soldiers, tanks, choppers) appear the frame rate will drop to unplayable levels, no matter what settings you use. This makes me believe that the AI is the biggest bottleneck for frame rates. This becomes even more clear in multiplayer matches where no AI calculations are needed and frame rates are more or less stable.

I understand that the AI is complex in this game, but it shouldn't have that much impact on the graphics, but unfornately it has. This makes me wonder why BIS complicated the AI calculations that much compared to the first Arma. If there would be a patch that brings the AI level down, it would solve many graphical problems.

Even my quad core Q9550 @ 3.4 Ghz can't handle the calculations together with the calculations for the graphics.

So in my opinion the problem should be adressed in 2 ways:

- let the graphics card do all the calculations for graphics as most current-gen cards should be able to deal with it without much problems

- let the CPU deal only with AI calculations

For now I will keep this game on my shelve and wait for 1 or 2 patches that make noticable improvements on both ends. I just hope BIS will be able to survive in these economical times with only 1 game (on PC mind you) available to provide patches.

Hi there.... at the last Hour i Updated my Computer from ATI 3870 x2 to a NVIDIA GTX 285 AMP... But now Arma2 Crashs after 2 - 4 Minutes. I only get ma Black Screen and my Computer is Rebooting..

I dont change any other stuff...

Config:

Intel Core Extreme X9650 @ 4x 3,6 GH (Watercooled)

3GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 ( Only 3 GB because 1 GB is damaged and must be removed )

Asus Maximus Formula

Zotac NVDIA GTX 285 AMP

System is Windows 7 RC1 64Bit with newsest Nvidia 64Bit Win7 drivers.

Hope you can helo me !! With my old card Arma2 Runs greate but i need Nvidia Cude for some new Projects.

Ditch the Windows 7.... I had it installed with arma2 and had the worst possible time trying to make it run smoothly. Talked it over with some clan mates and convinced me to reinstall Vista 64. Now game runs smooth as silk. but i do get the ever occasional black screen and "Arma2 has stopped working."

sys specs

i7 965 @ 4ghz

12gb Corsair Dominator @ 1866

Dual 295's w/186.18 and Evga Sli enchance

Hi there.... at the last Hour i Updated my Computer from ATI 3870 x2 to a NVIDIA GTX 285 AMP... But now Arma2 Crashs after 2 - 4 Minutes. I only get ma Black Screen and my Computer is Rebooting..

I dont change any other stuff...

Config:

Intel Core Extreme X9650 @ 4x 3,6 GH (Watercooled)

3GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 ( Only 3 GB because 1 GB is damaged and must be removed )

Asus Maximus Formula

Zotac NVDIA GTX 285 AMP

System is Windows 7 RC1 64Bit with newsest Nvidia 64Bit Win7 drivers.

Hope you can helo me !! With my old card Arma2 Runs greate but i need Nvidia Cude for some new Projects.

Did you remove/uninstall first ATI drivers?