Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

sigh. though I'm not qualified to do open heart surgery i can relay information from experts that it is dangerous. do you understand the metaphor yet? if you must know I've been building systems longer than your brief stint in the armed forces. and yet claims such as these are rather pointless since i'm fairly sure no university offers degrees in computer assembly the likes of which that occur at the shop-front level. the likes of dell or apple are a different story of course. i doubt you would be let in the door without recognised and proven qualifications.

finally, urinating competitions are tiresome and that is the final word ill say on this matter.

Edited by Beugnen

sigh. though I'm not qualified to do open heart surgery i can relay information from experts that it is dangerous. do you understand the metaphor yet? if you must know I've been building systems longer than your brief stint in the armed forces.

finally, urinating competitions are tiresome and that is the final word ill say on this matter.

LOL . . .you are so clueless. Comparing water-cooling a computer to heart surgery is quite pathetic as a metaphor. Do some research about who you are talking to. Google is your friend. I agree expertise should be heeded. In this case, I am the one with that qualification. Funny to have an Alienware owner acting like they are an expert. That really is building systems . . .

Edited by DarthBeavis

The problem with this is, when I pull down the Video Memory menu, the only options I have to select from are Low and Normal. It was my understanding that if the game would correctly identify the card's actual memory, it would enable the High/Very High settings.

I haven't followed this thread fully, but I have an 8800 GTX and had the same problem you did until I updated my drivers to the latest ones (186.18) for XP. Once I installed those drivers I could go beyond normal and put it on very high.

Those drivers came out on the 2nd of this month, so they are brand spanking new. :)

I agree with others that DarthBeavis is wrong!!! who relly needs water cooling when fans make cpu cool!!! fans cause my cpu to be only 80C when it is rated for 90C, that is 10C lower. no won needs water cooling, COOLIT FTW!!! water cooling is just for show off, but it does look cool :uzi: LOL

**images exceeded forum limit removed by moderator**

Funny to have an Alienware owner acting like they are an expert. That really is building systems . . .

Don't dis on Alienware man; some of them are really cool.

Check this out:

Edited by Rhodite

PLEASE..Can we get back on topic! Let's not take sides. I had to read through the last two pages of unrelated stuff to see if anything related came up! PM Each other, I mean at least you can agree that you are both enthusiasts. :)

Darthbeavis has a point with how watercooling has its benefits when keeping GPUs cool. (GTX cards take up a smeg load of space, kinda hard to get hot air out)

And when it comes to CPUs, let's just agree that the assembly of watercooling takes more research, skill and has a larger degree of risk associated with it (as demonstrated by the original post that sparked off this debate). Performance wise, the two are nearly the same. Air is cheaper, but it's heat transfer coefficient changes depending on ambient temperature.

watercooling potentially much much better than air cooling in terms of conducting heat away from the surfaces of whatever you're cooling. Water cooling also potentially much more damaging to your equipment if you set it up wrong or it breaks down. I did see a vid once where someone just sunk their mainboard etc in a vat of oil and used that as coolant. I'm sure the cooling potential is amazing with that solution but I wouldn't want to spend the time cleaning up every time you want to upgrade it.

Anyway

Anyone got a 100% guaranteed to work fix for Nvidia owners yet? (desperate attempt to get back on topic quick)

That painted Alienware is . . . mine.

Anyways, I will be the first person to say DO NOT do water-cooling unless

1. You are willing to assume the risk (which is pretty low once you do step number 2)

3. You have taken the time to adequately educate yourself/get experienced help/get good equipment.

The post I took issue with said do not do it at all. The hotter your components run the more wear and tear they take. My 295s run in the low 40 c range. I can OC my proc easily to 4.6 ghz and be in the 50 C range (maybe 55).

Now I agree, back to topic.

So this turned out to be pissing contest about who got the most ridiculous looking case. Great.

sigh. though I'm not qualified to do open heart surgery i can relay information from experts that it is dangerous. do you understand the metaphor yet? if you must know I've been building systems longer than your brief stint in the armed forces. and yet claims such as these are rather pointless since i'm fairly sure no university offers degrees in computer assembly the likes of which that occur at the shop-front level. the likes of dell or apple are a different story of course. i doubt you would be let in the door without recognised and proven qualifications.

First, you can call Nelson Gonzales, CEO of Alienware, and ask is he knows of DarthBeavis. Second, have you heard of VooDoo PC and Mr Rahul Sood who started it?

http://www.thenextbench.com/hpg/board/message?board.id=Desktops&thread.id=473&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Bud I am sponsored and do builds for Nvidia, Intel, AMD/ATI, etc. My list of sponsors is an arm long as is my list of builds with have been displayed at CES, Nvision, and I even have a couple builds in a science museum now.

New beta driver 186.24 for XP,Vista and Win 7 32&64bit and this drivers come without Physx :) LINK

Cool.. have you tried it to see if it does anything for Arma2?

I have same FPS but more stable (lowest FPS rise).

Ok, number 1 I have been using both water cooling and air cooling...my ocd cpu is water cooled and my 8800ultras really should be watercooled but my cheapass is to cheap to spend $200 on waterblocks...so I have a $20 walmart house fan blowing in my case to cool them down....but watercooling is the way to go

ANYWAY BACK TO THE TOPIC

Uggg, well Windows 7 was not any better. People have reported that Windows 7 plays smoother and they are right....it does, but it plays like super Vsync is on with low frames...even though all vsync is FORCE disabled it still plays like vsync is on all the time. What I mean is it has horribly sluggish mouse response times and it averages 20 fps in the tests. Also, the picture looks fuzzy, washed out and faded at 2560x1600 even though the post processing feature is disabled and on VIsta 64 with the same settings the picture is very crisp.

I tried the 181 drivers with W7 because there are no 182.5 drivers...and then I also tried the 186.18 drivers, but when I used the 186.18 drivers I had to do the msconfig trick and force memory to 7680 instead of using the full 8gig that i have.

Basically, I have gone back over to using Vista 64, the 186.18 drivers, and forcing my memory down to 7680 in msconfig. The game plays the best at these settings, but still suffers from micro-stutter, especially on the bigger board....what is it called utes....its pretty solid on the smaller island board. So this is where I am going to leave it till a patch comes out....I have tried everything and this is it.

Ya.. let's hope they do a new real soon. BIS deserve to get a good reputation and this time it's not going so well... Too bad because the game itself is the best I have ever played. Love it to bits.

I'll try the new driver tonight. I clocked my 8800gts from 513 to 705 mhz and won almost 10 frames. Hunting frames with PSO here.

I'll end with a poem.

" I love you patch one'o'three.... setPos getPos me! "

Hi,

I have all of these problems, been working on it for day’s, blue screen’s, crashes to desktop and complete lockup’s, forcing a system reboot.

Tried every driver version I could get my hands on, although, the nvidia 186.18 with the EVGA SLI enhancer, did help a lot, when I first installed, it would crash during boot camp before I could even pick up my first weapon, about 5 seconds into the game. With the new driver and SLI enhancer, it at least lasted about 30 min’s before crashing, so the campaign has been hard work to say the least, lol.

Then it hit me this morning, I remembered having similar problems with two other games, not to the same extent, but they would crash also. What I did was unplug my modem, leaving only my router connected to the computer, with no internet connection, the nvidia driver or the game cannot connect to the internet, I have been playing the campaign for the last six hours without a single crash, awesome game, lol.

Now this has worked for me, hope it works for you, and no, I have no idea what would happen with multiplayer mode.

I have posted this here and in the “ Blue Screen Issue “

thread, not spamming, it’s the two main threads with this problem.

For interest the two game were, Assassins Creed and Mass Effect.

One last thing, does anyone know why this game has created a user account called “ INTERACTIVE “. This account inherits rights from the main system owner, why is this necessary?

Win XP Pro 32bit, and Vista Ultra 64bit, (I had same problem with both OS)

AMD 3800+ Dual core

Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe

2Gb DDR OCZ Memory

2 * BFG 8800GT OC2 in SLI

600W OCZ SLI 80Plus PSU

Edited by GunRage

I don't think the problem is the cards-Ports should be listed at www.portforward.com to enable full functionality of the game. I could not find the listing for ARMA II?

Edited by boytitanium

First, you can call Nelson Gonzales, CEO of Alienware, and ask is he knows of DarthBeavis. Second, have you heard of VooDoo PC and Mr Rahul Sood who started it?

http://www.thenextbench.com/hpg/board/message?board.id=Desktops&thread.id=473&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Bud I am sponsored and do builds for Nvidia, Intel, AMD/ATI, etc. My list of sponsors is an arm long as is my list of builds with have been displayed at CES, Nvision, and I even have a couple builds in a science museum now.

*golfclap* :j:

what is a golfclap? Guess I am too old for the new intraw3b slang

golfclap is from back in the day....wasnt it an old david spade snl thing?

Anyone have success with their "old" 8800 Ultra? Was using 174.74 nicely for ArmA. I've been trying many newer versions now without much to say for all the effort. I'm not complaining about frame rates as much, which run anywhere from 20-60 "depending", but rather about graphic artifacts, textures not appearing (light blue bushes especially) no matter how long I wait, and eventually black screen lockup (reboot required).

Dell XPS 720

Intel Core2 Extreme processor QX6850 (OC 3.33GHz)

4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MH

768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra (driver du jour)

150MB Raptor SATA HD (10,000 RPM), 500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM),

Dell UltraSharp Wide 22"

Win XP Media (32bit)

I now I'm showing my age, but I remember great it was to jump from a 386SX to a 486DX playing Dynamix Red Baron. Was like "glass". We were more tolerant back then (almost 20 years now) regarding frame rates. Enjoyed many flight sims at what must have been 10-15 FPS. Today people would be screaming bloody murder, but back then that was "smooth" - well, choppy actually. But the "chop" was consistent which made them playable. In fact after a while one didn't notice. Now if I could get ArmA2 to run a *steady* 20 FPS I would be happy :)

I have an 8800 GTX, and it is ok so far. But ARMA 2 has convinced me it is time finally to upgrade vid cards. The best driver I have tried for ARMA 2 so far is the 180.48s fyi.

Edited by Shataan

what is a golfclap? Guess I am too old for the new intraw3b slang

It means you are a prize Pr*k and a self righteous Twat.:p

golfclap is from back in the day....wasnt it an old david spade snl thing?

yes. tis an old adage.

It means you are a prize Pr*k and a self righteous Twat.:p

this does summarize the expression quite aptly.