Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

xxbbcc,

Make sure to check your fan speed control, in the performance tab with the Nvidia Application. Now I'm not saying that this is the problem but for the time being if your fan is set to run at 30% crank it up to 50 or 60% see if that solves it. Also try other games if it doesn't reboot after some time of playing a graphics intense application (try crysis) then you know it's this game and something is going on with the driver and game code.

Make sure you have the latest drivers as always...

Also, I would like to add.

I disabled SLI, turned it off completely and with one 8800ultra I was pulling on average 2-3fps less than when I have SLI on... 2-3fps less!!!!! What is going on with this game?

I played it with one card running and it really did not play any worse than when they are SLId....I am almost done messing with this game....pathetic

NVIDIA videocard owners with newer cards and drivers supporting PhysX when disabling PhysX acceleration:

* this works mainly for 260 and newer GPU serie resulting into performance boost for NVIDIA users in ARMA 2 , yet some 9800/8800 users experiencing smoother gameplay

A. Control Panels > NVIDIA PhysX control panel > Settings > switch to NO PHysx acceleration ! > click on "OK"

B. Right click on desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel > Set Physx configuration > Select "Disabled" > Click on "Apply"

NVIDIA SLI owners can gain additional performance by using EVGA SLI enhancer

http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/Default.asp

more info and feedback about EVGA SLI enhancer here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76369

VISTA (64b) users may get way faster/smoother framerate in windowed mode with 186.18 drivers

force VSYNC off in drivers

---

please when posting feedback into this thread add what driver version of PhysX and NVIDIA (both are standalone packages) You have

NOTE:

on some OS (e.g. Vista64) with 4+> GB there is need to startup game with -winxp commandline paramater (arma2.exe -winxp)

or/and limit windows memory in startup paramaters to <4GB memory

this vary by driver builds and other system variables so please try first the commandline option

fixes and improvements are in work ...

Ok - so does ArmA II use PhysX?

Here's the official Nvidia link for beta drivers:

Nvidia Driver Downloads

Some people, like me, will only download drivers directly from Nvidia. So if you're like me, you might bookmark that site.

]

Hard to say about the air flow. I have the standard fans that came with the case (one in the power supply and another at the back. There's one directly on the processor and the one on the video card.) I also have a small fan installed and there's a cone sitting on the processor that directs the air flow onto the processor.

The machine is spewing hot air when I run ArmA 2; otherwise it's fine. Seems like the heatsink on the video card is juts inadequate. It's one of those closed heatsink boxes: lots of thin metal plates inside, connected to the top large metal plate cover. Fan is embedded among the thin plates.

Thank's a lot for that cooler link - I'll take a look and see if I can get one of those.

It sounds like a case ventilation issue to me. If I were you I would forget about watercooling.

1. Get a new case with lots of fans (expensive)

2. Get higher flow fans and put them in place of the ones you already have. (less expensive)

3. Install new fans on your case door opposite the video card. (cheap) Fans are like $6 a peice, cut the case with a dremel drill new holes and voila, ghetto but cheap. You can make it look good, there are sites about case modding.

Again I really think its a case ventilation issue. I don't think watercooling is useful unless you are doing some crazy overclocks.

xxbbcc stay away from watercooling.. i blew up my last computer due to a water leak.. water ran into the cpu and down on the graphic card. resulting in a total mailfunction. it blew up my cpu, Graphic card and mobo. on the mobo several wires or what its called got buren up. . its not woth it no matter what people having watercooling say. im talking from experiance :\.,, a expencive experiance :p

stick to fans. even tho they make some noise. "use a headset to avoid that issue" :p

Anyway

anyone else getting alot of artifacts ingame ? i got the newest drivers. didnt help.

kinda anoying. the hole screen gets pink/blue. like its only showing me the _NOHQ and _SMDI map but missing _CO/_CA textures.

i have to tab in/out of the game to get the screen back to normal. this usaly resulting in me dying. because im eigther flying or in a fire fight :\

i tried using about every setup/setting for the vdeo card both ingame and in nividia control panel. No luck.

my fps is ok. usaly around 40. but sometims drops to 24/25 and some times rises to 75. depens on the situation & location. physX on or off. it dosent matter.

my system is.

mobo: Asus M4A79T Delux

ram: Corsair 6 Gb DDR3

Cpu: Amd Phenom II X 4 | 4x@3.2 Ghz

Gpu: Nvidia 285 GtX 1 GB

Hd: Westerndigital 1 TB 32MB cache

hope anyone else had this issue and got it fixed

Does anyone else experience bright white and black flickering when the "receiving" screen is about to change to the game world?

This happens every time the receiving screen is closing.

Sometimes the flickering goes on for a few more seconds then normal and it gets really annoying.

It's just a matter of time before i get an epileptic seizure ...

I have an I7 920 OC to 3.8Ghz and an Nvidia GTX 295 with 6Gb of RAM and Windows Vista 64Bit. I cant seem to run a single mission, online or offline without crashing to desktop.

This is most annoying and my question to BIS, " Is this going to be fixed in a new patch?"

I've been a keen fan of your games since 2006 and I hope that you can come to some solution ASAP for dedicated fans/customers like myself.

I too am getting repeated crashes, usually when I try to save in the campaign. I get the error:

"Cannot Commit".

I have a lot of patience for BIS, they've given me some of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had for the last 8 years... But this is beginning to work my last nerve.

Does anyone else experience bright white and black flickering when the "receiving" screen is about to change to the game world?

This happens every time the receiving screen is closing.

Sometimes the flickering goes on for a few more seconds then normal and it gets really annoying.

It's just a matter of time before i get an epileptic seizure ...

This is a side effect of SLI (you must have 2 gfx cards?). It used to flash like this in game in Amra1 with SLI enabled. Be thankful it doesn't do that in Arma2 :). It will probably be fixed in a nvidia driver release AFAIK BIS can can do nothing.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice - I'll probably get one of those dual fans that TheMantis linked in and see if those help. I'm not particularly concerned about noise but I had a GFX card in the past that blew up (taking the computer along) due to overheating, so I'd rather prevent that, seeing how I like my current rig.

Thanks for the help. Point 1&3 plus the maximum pre-rendered frames to 8 boosted my system from 25 to 38-40.

Everything on the left on very high, middle on high, right side on high resolution , res at 1600x1000. Distance 3k.

My pc: GTX260, Q6600 @ 3.2

edit: ok 40fps in spmission and in the editor preview i just hit 70 while flying around and stuff. It runs very very smooth now.

Edited by Digital0

This is a side effect of SLI (you must have 2 gfx cards?). It used to flash like this in game in Amra1 with SLI enabled. Be thankful it doesn't do that in Arma2 :). It will probably be fixed in a nvidia driver release AFAIK BIS can can do nothing.

Yes i do have two graphics cards. I am thankful it doesn't happen in game :D Thanks for the answer Seany.

xxbbcc stay away from watercooling.. i blew up my last computer due to a water leak.. water ran into the cpu and down on the graphic card. resulting in a total mailfunction. it blew up my cpu, Graphic card and mobo. on the mobo several wires or what its called got buren up. . its not woth it no matter what people having watercooling say. im talking from experiance :\.,, a expencive experiance :p

d

BS . . . .know what you are doing and you will be fine. Also, please use a spell-checker. 'mailfunction' is what Outlook is for.

DarthBeavis are you telling me im giving xxbbcc BS talk ?

and if you got no contuctive to say or issues to report i suggest you dont make a post just to tell me my english sucks.. which i already know. get used to it that not everyone in this world has english as ther native language. some of us has actualy a hard time trying to speak/write it.

got nothing better to do than search the forums for typos ?

get a life.

watercooling is Bs. thise days fans do the same job or even better. V8 or V10 :) . no need to spend 150/200 bucks on water cooling when you can have a fan kit for 1/2 of the price and doing the same job.. if not even better.

many of my friend has also had watercooling. most of them abandon it.

if you want to do a Watercooling Vs Fan/heat sink we can do it in PM.

Edited by nuxil

Hi to all I'm new here altrought I'm a crazy fan of the bohemia interactive since their first and only one "operation flash point 1"I have a problem as many other people had about arma 2 that is ruining my enjoyement of this great game.It happens in a mission where you are in a big city and there are a lot of objects everything load up except for the grass textures that appear blury and in low resolution

My comp spec are this:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

Q6600 2.40 Ghz

6.00 gb Ram win xp x64

Video card

Nvidia GTX 275 896 mb DDR3

if anyone can help

Thx:)

DarthBeavis are you telling me im giving xxbbcc BS talk ?

and if you got no contuctive to say or issues to report i suggest you dont make a post just to tell me my english sucks.. which i already know. get used to it that not everyone in this world has english as ther native language. some of us has actualy a hard time trying to speak/write it.

got nothing better to do than search the forums for typos ?

get a life.

watercooling is Bs. thise days fans do the same job or even better. V8 or V10 :) . no need to spend 150/200 bucks on water cooling when you can have a fan kit for 1/2 of the price and doing the same job.. if not even better.

many of my friend has also had watercooling. most of them abandon it.

if you want to do a Watercooling Vs Fan/heat sink we can do it in PM.

If you use a browser like Firefox you will find the built-in spellchecker very useful. It is not perfect but it will at least make your posts better.

You are right in being able to effectively cool a CPU with a decent air-cooler but GPUS such as 295s and 280s really benefit from water-cooling. I am pretty much a pro-modder and do more builds in one year than many people will do in a lifetime so I surely have a little more experience than you and all of your friends combined. If you doubt me . . .use Google. Search term: DarthBeavis.

You made a public post about water-cooling being BS so I am replying in a public post. If you do not want replies do not post in the first place.

Ive never touched the cfg m8 , all i do is ingame change video memory to v-high.

The problem with this is, when I pull down the Video Memory menu, the only options I have to select from are Low and Normal. It was my understanding that if the game would correctly identify the card's actual memory, it would enable the High/Very High settings.

Dell XPS 420

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.00 GHz and 2.99 GHz)

3 GB RAM

8800GTX

VD 2400

All on NORMAL except

Shadow HIGH

PP LOW

Just tried disabling PhysX and the "load stutter" seems to be gone YIIHAAAAHHHH :yay:

Have only tested briefly yet, so it is hard to know for sure at this point.

However this trick seems to have solved my stutter issues and FPS are now much steadier.

~25-30 in the Chernarus countryside, which is smooth in my opinion.

~17-23 in Chernogorsk "lag-test = big editor battle", which is still playable.

My FPS used to continously drop down to 10 in that same battle, which was a players nightmare.

Must test some more before I'm really sure it improved FPS in all gameplay situations, but so far:

Thank you BIS :)

BS . . . .know what you are doing and you will be fine. Also, please use a spell-checker. 'mailfunction' is what Outlook is for.

the OP is making a legitimate point about water cooling. in fact it could be applied to any DIY work not necessarily restricted to the computing domain.[1]

finally, don't waste forum space being the spelling nazi. if it were an allowed cause then the vast majority of posts would be subject to this rule. this is a forum, not someones thesis. be the overlord elsewhere if you have nothing of significance to say.

----------------

[1] DIY house improvement was in the top 10 causes for home injuries in the past 5 years

the OP is making a legitimate point about water cooling. in fact it could be applied to any DIY work not necessarily restricted to the computing domain.[1]

finally, don't waste forum space being the spelling nazi. if it were an allowed cause then the vast majority of posts would be subject to this rule. this is a forum, not someones thesis. be the overlord elsewhere if you have nothing of significance to say.

----------------

[1] DIY house improvement was in the top 10 causes for home injuries in the past 5 years

I disagree with both of your points. How many water-cooled systems have you and he built? His point was about water-cooling of which I happen to have a decent level of expertise in.

If you do not like what I have posted then get a moderator or administrator to deal with it.

"watercooling is Bs. thise days fans do the same job or even better. "

Ya think? I`ll stick with my CoolIT system. It keeps my 3 gig cpu cooled at 17 degrees when not under load. Great for o/cing as well. I really doubt a fan could achieve this. Ymmv.

I disagree with both of your points. How many water-cooled systems have you and he built? His point was about water-cooling of which I happen to have a decent level of expertise in.

If you do not like what I have posted then get a moderator or administrator to deal with it.

what a ridiculous and irrelevant thing to say.

just because i may or may not have installed water-cooling systems, i do know for a fact that open heart surgery is rather risky.

so by your logic as an 'expert' water-cooler installer, a surgeon will recommend DIY heart surgery to be performed by anyone? i think not.

finally on spelling, everyone makes a mistake. i'm quite sure if i google the planet for all your posts it is highly probable i will find an incident of shall we say accidental spelling too.

oh and i don't need a moderator to fight such trivial fights, i am more than capable of winning any war of words, logic and basic common sense with you anytime my friend.

what a ridiculous and irrelevant thing to say.

just because i may or may not have installed water-cooling systems, i do know for a fact that open heart surgery is rather risky.

so by your logic as an 'expert' water-cooler installer, a surgeon will recommend DIY heart surgery to be performed by anyone? i think not.

finally on spelling, everyone makes a mistake. i'm quite sure if i google the planet for all your posts it is highly probable i will find an incident of shall we say accidental spelling too.

oh and i don't need a moderator to fight such trivial fights, i am more than capable of winning any war of words, logic and basic common sense with you anytime my friend.

The post in question contains an insane amount of spelling errors. I would not mention it if it were a word or two.

Water-cooling is not heart surgery. The post in question made assertions about water-cooling based on one bad situation which likely was caused by user error (could have been a faulty product as well but then expert advice before going the water-cooling route would drastically reduce the chances of a problem). Since you said he was right about water-cooling please tell me how you are qualified to speak about it? How many systems have you built?