Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

This game doesn't support sli so dont bother

Er.. I've gotten it to work by adding arma.exe to the crysis profile using nHancer... It does work and gave a good performance boost. Others get it to work by renaming arma2.exe to crysis or crysis64 etc...

I just want to get it working officially with evga's patch but it doesn't work on windows 7 from what I've tried.

Havok-G2... the EVGA Patch just creates a profile identical to the crysis one for the arma2.exe

So just rename it to crysis.exe and it works fine :)

Awesome, thx for this, disabled in control panel and now my score jumped up 50 to over 5700 on arma2mark bench :).

:eek: HOW DID YOU GET THAT?!!

even with all my settings turned to the lowest.. so lowest resolution also, my max was around 4500!

What resolution? Cant really compare FPS until we know what resolution you run the game at. Also what is your view distance set at?

Except for the OS (mine is Vista32) and GPU (8800GTX) his rig is the same as mine. My Q6600 is oc'd to 3.0Ghz. I get 29FPS on avg at 1600X1080, distance 1600 and most settings high/V high. I'd run out and snag a 275 right now if I could get 40/50 FPS LOL. Win 7 is on order.

What resolution? Cant really compare FPS until we know what resolution you run the game at. Also what is your view distance set at?

Running at my full resolution of 1680X1050.

I have the view distance set at the default of 1600.

:eek: HOW DID YOU GET THAT?!!

even with all my settings turned to the lowest.. so lowest resolution also, my max was around 4500!

Hey, probably not the news you want but that "fluctuating FPS" in built up areas is a Vista/Win7 thing. I can replicate it perfectly, it's related to inexplicable CPU spikes.

The only solution for me was to install it under XP64. I've never seen it once under XP64.

Eth

Can you make the arma config file read only and see what happens? I haven't tried as I'm still trying to figure out what my vid card memory number is supposed to be. If I have 2 cards, each with 768MB of memory, what should be in the file?

I tried and it did not help. And seems only logical that you can't change those values - after all you can't just put any values there as they are dependent on available video card and system resources. Either Arma2 is not always able to autodetect them correctly or it might be a driver problem. Also the total system memory might be the problem. If Arma2 takes ~2 gb memory (never saw the peak usage much more than ~1gb with 32bit XP when I was monitoring it), video card takes ~1gb (in my case), other system resources take something and then there is this nonlocalVRAM that could be more than 1gb (or is it included in what Arma2 allocates with maxmem?). And in 32 bit windows you only have 4gb addressable memory and all these must fit in.

With SLI 768Mb I'd quess nonLocalVRAM=1610612736=768*1024*1024*2

-KJT-

Intel E8400 @ 3GHz

Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 - 8GB

EVGA GTX285 1GB (FTW version, factory OC'd)

1920x1200 @ Very High/High/Normal Settings

Drivers are @ 186.18

I'm having the same problems most others have had here.

My FPS would fluctuate between 22-45 (mostly staying between 22 and 28fps) in the first bit of the campaign. I would prefer it to stick to >30, but it was decent.

When I made it to Chernagorsk (sp?) at about the 3rd or 4th mission in, where you load in on top of the building in town... I get between 8-14fps when I look towards the town, and maybe 15-20 when looking away. I get the same FPS issues when playing multiplayer in and around that same town.

I also experience a number of texture/LOD issues. I've had an AI soldier standing maybe 6 feet from my guy, and his camo pattern was blotchy and blurred. I used the zoom key when looking at him, and the camo pattern sharpened up. When I zoom out, it would go back to blurry again. This was even more weird because the 3-4 other soldiers standing maybe 12 feet away from me had the detailed camo pattern. So, a texture that was 'closer' to me was showing the lower detail version than one that was farther away.

Oh, and my ArmA2.cfg file shows incorrect values for the VRAM. If I'm reading the number right, it's detecting my card has 256MB, when it has 1GB.

I've checked and tried all sorts of things recommended here.

Disabled V-Sync

Bumped Pre-Rendered Frames to 8

Lowered my resolution

Lowered my detail

Lowered my view distance

None of this seems to make any difference at all. I know my PC should perform better. MadTommy has the exact same CPU and similar RAM to mine. He has a GTX260 and I have a GTX285, but he manages to get decent FPS. The only thing I have left to try from his posts are to run in windowed mode, and lower my resolution to 1680x1024.

Can someone tell me what a 1GB video card should have for the ArmA2 config VRAM entries? I'll plug that in manually and see if it helps at all.

I really hope the 1.03 patch improves performance. Loving the game, otherwise.

Ive never touched the cfg m8 , all i do is ingame change video memory to v-high.

Hey, probably not the news you want but that "fluctuating FPS" in built up areas is a Vista/Win7 thing. I can replicate it perfectly, it's related to inexplicable CPU spikes.

The only solution for me was to install it under XP64. I've never seen it once under XP64.

Eth

Yeah you are right I am sure, since a lot of the XP users are getting better results.

Thanks for your reply

What does the pre render frames ahead do for you guys because it doesn't do anything here?

I used to set it to 0 with Oblivion, Gothic or other games with wide open areas but setting it to 8 seems crazy.

Also, setting AF higher then normal might take only a few FPS off but when you move left to right (aiming) you will notice a lot more lag. In other words upping AF does take a pretty big hit for smooth gameplay.

Object details is another one that can drop your FPS by a good amount.

With SLI 768Mb I'd quess nonLocalVRAM=1610612736=768*1024*1024*2

The *2 at the end is wrong. Each SLI Card has the same things in the RAM AFAIK.

What does the pre render frames ahead do for you guys because it doesn't do anything here?

Object details is another one that can drop your FPS by a good amount.

G'day Mate,

It didn't work for me. Yeah I agree Object details and Terrain detail (thanks Eth).

I recently found if I use render ahead of 8 and triple buffering with vsync on for my GTX275 in Arma 2, I actually get stable frame rates that dont dip or crash when looking various directions.

Yep, I rolled mine back to the 186.09 Beta drivers and I am getting 35-60 never above 60 because of VS ( I have it forced off in NV Control Panel, but it don't work). All very high settings 1650 - 1080 and 3600 view distance. I think this whole thing is a driver issue and hopefully is fixed soon.

BTW has anyone tried the 186.21 Drivers yet for Vista64 and W764? They were released a while ago but they have yet to become availible on Nvidia's official site. I am going to try this when I get home. The 186.09 drivers gave me some issues in other games and lock-ups.

If you are running in window mode, Vsync is always on it seems. Try Full Screen Mode

I did the first test at 1920x1200, with everything set to very high, except no AA and post processing disabled.

Test One - 27

Test Two - 25

Test Three - 21

Test Four - 26

Test Five - 10

OFPMark is 2100

Then I did the test over with 2560x1600 resolution, and left the other settings the exact same as the test above and got the following numbers

Test One - 25

Test Two - 23

Test Three - 20

Test Four - 24

Test Five - 11

OFPMark is 2050

What the hell is going on with this game! Something is very very off, when the difference between 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 is 2fps!

I'm runnin two ultras in SLI, 8 gigs of ram, evga 750i FTW, & vista ultimate 64

--------------------

EVGA 750i FTW

INTEL Q6700 @ 3.6

Swifteck H20 Watercooled

Two 8800ultras in teh SLIz

8 GB G.SKILL PC2-8500

Omega Claro Soundcard

Thermaltake 1000w PSU

Antec 900 case

Gateway XHD3000

Vista 64 Ultimate

I did the first test at 1920x1200, with everything set to very high, except no AA and post processing disabled.

Test One - 27

Test Two - 25

Test Three - 21

Test Four - 26

Test Five - 10

OFPMark is 2100

Then I did the test over with 2560x1600 resolution, and left the other settings the exact same as the test above and got the following numbers

Test One - 25

Test Two - 23

Test Three - 20

Test Four - 24

Test Five - 11

OFPMark is 2050

What the hell is going on with this game! Something is very very off, when the difference between 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 is 2fps!

I'm runnin two ultras in SLI, 8 gigs of ram, evga 750i FTW, & vista ultimate 64

--------------------

EVGA 750i FTW

INTEL Q6700 @ 3.6

Swifteck H20 Watercooled

Two 8800ultras in teh SLIz

8 GB G.SKILL PC2-8500

Omega Claro Soundcard

Thermaltake 1000w PSU

Antec 900 case

Gateway XHD3000

Vista 64 Ultimate

Make sure you run the test twice for every time you change a setting, the second run will be more accurate. The 1st run usually has a lower score than the second because it has to load all the textures. When the test runs a second time some textures are already there (in ram or whatever) so they load quicker

I will try that and report back my findings....very frustrating, this is an amazing game....I wish it was as easy as it was back in the day with Battlefield 1942 when all you had to do was buy a radeon 9700pro and some ram and then walla...done! Now we got all kinks of crap working is various ways...arrrgggH

I'm having very good performance in the game but I get massive GPU overheating after about 30 minutes of play. In fact, my video card simply stops the computer at that point (machine turns off automatically.) This happened multiple times - would be nice to know how to protect the hardware other than not playing.

Here are my system specs for reference:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+, 2.81 GHz

- 3GB RAM

- GeForce 9800 GT, 512 MB

- Windows XP SP3

- VSync off

- Pre-rendered frames: 0

- PhysiX off

- driver 182.50

It seems to be working and I made sure that the heatsink is not clogged up by dust. It just gets very hot during the game. I"m looking into installing some watercooling into the machine.

It seems to be working and I made sure that the heatsink is not clogged up by dust. It just gets very hot during the game. I"m looking into installing some watercooling into the machine.

im not sure that dust is going to effect thermal properties of a heat sink.

what is your ambient temperature there? is your room very hot?

How many case fans do you have? Do you have a good airflow path through the case? Lots of exhaust?

This may be something to try it worked for my 8800 gtx OC :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114024&Tpk=blitzstorm

anyways its cheap and it worked for me.

Dust particles block airflow - a dusty video card is a recipe for meltdown. Dust is actually one of the worst possible things that could happen to hardware, for multiple reasons.

The room is not otherwise hot - I have AC running (I'm in Texas, so AC is a must anyway.) I also had no issues with ArmA 1, which drives the machine pretty hard, too. I'll try to check the fan speed on the video card just to make sure but I think it's fine.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

How many case fans do you have? Do you have a good airflow path through the case? Lots of exhaust?

This may be something to try it worked for my 8800 gtx OC : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114024&Tpk=blitzstorm

anyways its cheap and it worked for me.

Hard to say about the air flow. I have the standard fans that came with the case (one in the power supply and another at the back. There's one directly on the processor and the one on the video card.) I also have a small fan installed and there's a cone sitting on the processor that directs the air flow onto the processor.

The machine is spewing hot air when I run ArmA 2; otherwise it's fine. Seems like the heatsink on the video card is juts inadequate. It's one of those closed heatsink boxes: lots of thin metal plates inside, connected to the top large metal plate cover. Fan is embedded among the thin plates.

Thank's a lot for that cooler link - I'll take a look and see if I can get one of those.

Make sure you run the test twice for every time you change a setting, the second run will be more accurate. The 1st run usually has a lower score than the second because it has to load all the textures. When the test runs a second time some textures are already there (in ram or whatever) so they load quicker

Nope...I actually got a few FPS LESS when I would run the test a second time. I have tried multiple resolutions now.... 1280, 1650, etc a bunch of lessor resolutions and they all test at similar numbers that I get when I test 2560x1600!

It is very annoying to say the least, the game is playable, but suffers from stutters every now and then, which is becoming very annoying for me now. I have the demo on my raptor drive and it does not play any better or more fluid then the full game which is on my slower/larger hard drive.

I would also like to note that the game plays AMAZING when I play on the ARMORY thing....very fluid, very high FPS, no stuttering, no lag....so why does the game play so much better in the armory, but worse when I play single player or multiplayer?