Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

I am getting terrible (15-18 fps) and only as high as 25 fps in Arma 2 and could use any advice on how to improve it.

Here's my machine:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz

680i motherboard

4 GB Ram

2 - 8800 GTX in SLI

Vista 32 bit

Here's what I have done thus far:

1. Updated the nforce drivers for the 680i

2. Updated the nvidia graphics drivers to the latest

3. Downloaded and ran the SLI enhancement patch from EVGA

I can't tell if the SLI enhancement patch was applied successfully. I can't find ARMA2.exe in the list of profiles in the NVidia control panel.

My graphics settings are as follows:

Visibility - 2170

Interface and 3D resolution - 1920 X 1200 (native monitor resolution)

Texture - Very High

Video Memory - Very High (what is this?)

Anisotripic Filtering - Disabled

Antialiasing - Disabled

Terrain - Very High

Objects - Very High

Shadow - Normal

Postprocessing effects - Disabled

Interface size - Very small

Aspect: 16:10

This settings are my attempt to get better framerates, but truth be told, downgrading settings has not helped much. I would like to increase my view distance, maintain the native resolution and have good detail for objects, terrain and shadows. I don't care as much about Anti-aliasing and post-processing effects. However, my number one wish is to have framerates consistently above 30 fps.

Shouldn't I be able to achieve this with the hardware I have????

i wouldn't go nuts looking for answers - you are in a boat of many, not alone.

i have a similar rig with x64 Vista and have the identical problem. settings being changed bear no impact on fps. so it's 18-20fps ALWAYS regardless of scene complexity, shaders, draw distance, 3D resolution, etc.

some people are suggesting a loop error in the coding

yep, just wish there was a program that i could see the gpu load, bin searching for it but its impossible for nvidia i read most of the times.

there is this :

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html

but that is a little to much for me.

i use EVGA Precission http://downloads.guru3d.com/EVGA-Precision-1.5.1-download-2112.html

this shows you all the gpu details you need to know in the game (kinda like ts overlay or Fraps)

I have a friend who can run this on his amd dual core system (with 8800 512mb card) successfully on very high settings... I have a quad core system with 4gb of 1066mhz ram and a gtx-260. I get really bad framerates at anything approaching good settings. This rig eats crysis on full detail @ hi res for breakfast (which his can't) so what's going on? Can we have at least some confirmation that this is being looked at?

I have a friend who can run this on his amd dual core system (with 8800 512mb card) successfully on very high settings... I have a quad core system with 4gb of 1066mhz ram and a gtx-260. I get really bad framerates at anything approaching good settings. This rig eats crysis on full detail @ hi res for breakfast (which his can't) so what's going on? Can we have at least some confirmation that this is being looked at?

Dwarden confirmed on friday that it was being looked in to on the Steam forums.. not sure if he has here as well. if you look it polls it seems roughly 30% of the people that visit here have issues related to performance that are hindering enjoyment.

haven't heard anything since then though.

Setting "Multi-display/mixed-GPU Acceleration" to "Single Display Performance Mode" is a classic way back since DOOM3 (even if you only have one display and one GPU). It made a big difference for me back then and it does ArmA2 now as well.

Setting "Multi-display/mixed-GPU Acceleration" to "Single Display Performance Mode" is a classic way back since DOOM3 (even if you only have one display and one GPU). It made a big difference for me back then and it does ArmA2 now as well.

Where do you do this?

Thanks,

Oi

@ Mr.oi

NVIDIA Control Panel - Manage 3D settings

Disabled Phyix on BFG GTX 285 OC"...made no difference at all. Still getting 30-40fps on normal/high settings.

I'm Running a Core 2 Extreme 3.4Ghz and SLI 512mb 8700GTs, 4G OCZ ram and I also get max 20-21 FPS (almost always 17-21). I over clocked my Cores to 850MHz on my GPU's with EVGA Precision and barely any difference. I've confirmed my SLI is working, yet no performance difference at all when running on a single GPU, it seems to just split the load when enabled.

I've changed the shortcut to Crysis, and used the evga patch.

I've worked and tested every option combination in Nvidia Control panel over and over. Tweaked the CFG files, and nothing substancial at all.

My friend has an 8800GTS 680MB and a Dual Core processor, and he's in even worse shape.

A few of my other friends rigs that don't even meet the minimum Requirements are playing it at higher settings and faster FPS. :mad:

ArmA 1 was developed for the 7 series cards, and now ArmA 2 seems to not have been developed for any of the 8 series, and some others above, without serious tweaking to achieve barely playable FPS. Is this game even Nvidia Compatible???:confused:

Are we going to have to wait for a whole year of Patches before we get an enjoyable, playable game like ArmA was?

Another note, the game engine is 10 years old, and I've gone back and tried the original tech demo called "Poseidon" an almost Doom looking relic of BI's base engine for OFP, ArmA,& ArmA2. It maxed out at 35 FPS, and it came out in 1999. :confused:

Yep tried many things last night including the Single display mode. I don't even get the option to turn on anti aliasing in the arma settings and texture detail can only be set to "normal". If I turn round quickly the textures take up to a second to draw properly and sometimes my unit will walk past me with completely white faces. This is beginning to drive me insane.

Is there anyone out there with a similar rig that isn't having any problems?

q6600 @ 3

4gb corsair dominator 1066

BFG GTX 260 oc

Asus p7n

Vista 64 Ultimate

Unless I'm missing something, this should be eating arma 2 for breakfast and have power to spare, unless the optimum requirements on the back of the box are a lie?

Has anyone tried the Vista (64) 186.18 windowed?

Do you get a performance boost (as said in the startpost nr 3)

Yep tried many things last night including the Single display mode. I don't even get the option to turn on anti aliasing in the arma settings and texture detail can only be set to "normal". ...

try applying the patches...

Has anyone tried running ArmA II in Window Mode? I go from unplayable frame rates at lowest settings, to near maximal settings and frame rates that never dip below 60 (keeping resolution a constant)...

Intel E6859 @ 3Ghz

Nvidia 8800 Ultra

2Gb RAM

:o

Has anyone tried running ArmA II in Window Mode? I go from unplayable frame rates at lowest settings, to near maximal settings and frame rates that never dip below 60 (keeping resolution a constant)...

Intel E6859 @ 3Ghz

Nvidia 8800 Ultra

2Gb RAM

:o

Tried and performance dropped about 5 fps in single missions like i thought it would. In village sweep mission normal/high detail settings i get usually 18 - 25 fps now with this window mode it dropped to 15 - 20. Fraps used for measurement.

Edited by Potatomasher

Whilst trying to squeeze some fps, I noticed that the 3d_performance variable in the arma2.cfg file is exactly the same on my main rig as it is on my laptop... Is this significant? Considering my laptop has Nvidia 9300M graphics I would expect the two numbers to be different on the two machines. If this is the case is a higher number better? Can this be altered manually to make performance higher?

I have an BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB and i tried all of the things you said to do and nothing worked. my system specs are

BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 512MB

OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

XFX nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 Motherboard

Windows Vista Home Prem 32-bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz 6MB 1333FSB

Thats my system spec. I dont have any problems playing any other game but this one. I really hope with the release of the game in stores there will be a patch because each day there isn't a fix for it makes me not want to buy the game.

I think beginning of the Razor Two mission (its like 4th mission) is a good indicator... i can never get over 30 fps on that.

Spec:

Q9550 (2.83Ghz per core Quad Core)

8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

10k RPM Veloci Raptor HD

Dual GPU 295 GTX

LOL... why do people feel the need to lie about the system specs, especially in a thread where they are important......

soooo a socket 775 CPU with DDR3, and your using triple channel with 8GB lol?

DDR3 = X58 since the memory controller is on the CPU Die, therefore ddr3 doesn't work with P45/48 Chipsets, nor will it!

LOL... why do people feel the need to lie about the system specs, especially in a thread where they are important......

soooo a socket 775 CPU with DDR3, and your using triple channel with 8GB lol?

DDR3 = X58 since the memory controller is on the CPU Die, therefore ddr3 doesn't work with P45/48 Chipsets, nor will it!

quite ignorant to suggest it is a lie, rather than a mistake.

why would someone lie about their specs? larger question - why would somebody call someone out on lying about their specs on a troubleshooting board?

My specs. Q6600 3.0Ghz, 8800GTX 768 stock (182 drivers), 4mg RAM DDR2 800, Vista 32.

I used the config suggested in the ARMAholic thread, disabled Physx, set pre-rendered frames to 8, no AA, no AF. I get just under 30FPS with Fraps. That seems smooth but is barely acceptable. I was in the 15-20 range without those adjustments so it is an improvement but, I can run Crysis with a custom config ( CUDAATS) with better FPS and it looks much better too.

This game needs some looking to for those of us with 1-2 yr old hardware we should get better results than this and those cats with the deep pockets and killer rig.... well they have every right to be p*****

as a continuation of the general moan about 2XX series gpu, even with resolution now at 1440 X 900, view distance 4km and some settings turned down I get about 15fps if I'm lucky.

Tried and performance dropped about 5 fps in single missions like i thought it would. In village sweep mission normal/high detail settings i get usually 18 - 25 fps now with this window mode it dropped to 15 - 20. Fraps used for measurement.

Technically that's what it should do, though I don't really trust FRAPS telemetry... I guess there's something peculuar to my setup... What OS are you using Potatomasher?

:)