Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

NVIDIA video card(s) owners read here!

I think beginning of the Razor Two mission (its like 4th mission) is a good indicator... i can never get over 30 fps on that.

Spec:

Q9550 (2.83Ghz per core Quad Core)

8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

10k RPM Veloci Raptor HD

Dual GPU 295 GTX

I think beginning of the Razor Two mission (its like 4th mission) is a good indicator... i can never get over 30 fps on that.

Spec:

Q9550 (2.83Ghz per core Quad Core)

8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

10k RPM Veloci Raptor HD

Dual GPU 295 GTX

Just for fun lower the viewdistance to 2000 and check your fps.

Something interesting?:

With the new 58134 patch my LocalVRam gets detected wrong.

It says

localVRAM=2014937024

Where I have a gtx285 with only half that memory.

Could that cause some crashes?

Also it put's 3D_Performance=-4194304 which doesn't sound too good.

Is this a driver issue?

(VistaX64, GTX285)

Something interesting?:

With the new 58134 patch my LocalVRam gets detected wrong.

It says

localVRAM=2014937024

Where I have a gtx285 with only half that memory.

Could that cause some crashes?

Also it put's 3D_Performance=-4194304 which doesn't sound too good.

Is this a driver issue?

(VistaX64, GTX285)

We have the same OS and graphics card. Your "localVRAM" should be 1059127296, the "non local VRAM" is 2145615872. "3D performance" is the same as you.

8800gt q6600 4gig ram NVdrivers 186.18

no change....17 - 23fps in demo (editor) on low settings and even with grass off. Not much different on high settings either.

Main killer is the ai's highest LOD (level of detail) I've noticed. It'll be running fairly smooth but as soon as they enter my fov from 10 - 20 meters away it drops 15 or more fps, whether it be 4 of them or 20.

Is it possible to disable the highest LOD? It would run great if we could do this.

Can someone please test this? Go into the editor have a squad walk towards you from a good distance away and see if your fps dies a slow and extreme death the closer they get to you. I know my cards average but i've also tried on a brand newly built q8400 gtx260oc with no other software apart from xp32 on it.

I will put my findings here because there are a lot of treads about the performance, but i have nvidia so i can only say the following for the nvidia cards.

Have the game since friday and spent most of my time now tweaking it because performance was bad. First of al my system specs :

Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz

nvidia 750SLI chipset

2x 500 Gb raid striping 4 partitions

4Gb 800Mhz ram

vista 32

XFX 250 GTS 512 mb

These are my findings :

oc cpu further no big performance

oc gpu no big performance

all the tweaks that you can find on this forum, no big performance but it got more stable no more big frame drops.

I play the campaign arround 23 fps and it stays there, little drops to 20 fps but hats it. thats playble for me because this is no high end rig anymore.

But i notticed something weird.

My gfx almost doesnt heat up in the campaign.

idlle its arround 55 C

on load in the campaign it goes to arround 65 C

This is strange to me, because in arma1 i get 75 C and fan spinning up in arma2 no fan spinning up and 65 C

I also have a meter for the watss my total system is using.

in arma1 and other games it usses more then 340 watts.

in arma2 in the menu it usses arround 305 watts.

when i start the campaign and play it it drops 15 watts !

so i am thinking some how arma2 isnt using the full power of my gfx.

no heting almost, dropping watts etc. etc.

that for me is a sign it is not working hard.

dont know why, did every tweak, renaming the exe etc. etc. etc.

but if power consumption is going down and there is nog big heating of the gfx something telse me its not working as hard as it should be.

We have the same OS and graphics card. Your "localVRAM" should be 1059127296, the "non local VRAM" is 2145615872. "3D performance" is the same as you.

I realise that it's probably wrong, but i just wanted to point out that Arma detects it wrong.

The best thing is: even if i overwrite the value with half of what it says, when starting the game the value gets overwritten by 2145615872 again.

I realise that it's probably wrong, but i just wanted to point out that Arma detects it wrong.

The best thing is: even if i overwrite the value with half of what it says, when starting the game the value gets overwritten by 2145615872 again.

Right-click the config file, select properties and then mark "read only". That will prevent the game from overwriting your customization.

No change with Physixs on/off

ArmA2 Demo Mark 45 fps

XP PRO SP3 32bit

Q6600 @3.1Ghz

2GB Ram @1088Mhz DDR2

9800GT 1GB ram Core @ 800Mhz Ram @ 1Ghz (2G data) Shader @ 1900Mhz

Nvidia Driver V 177.98

1680 x 1050

Visibility 1680

Quality Preferernce V High

Texture Detail High

Video Mem High (1 GB in config)

AA Disabled

Terrain Detail Normal

Object Detail High

Shadow Detail High

Post Processing Disabled

My setup hates AA... I get what looks like snow on all trees and some flashing textures.

Um, not really sure where to post this, but I figured out this might have something to do with NVIDIA drivers. If a mod thinks I posted this in the wrong thread, ofcourse feel free to move this post somewhere else, I'll just find it.

So, everytime I ALT-TAB from the game and back, I get a 1pix transparent border on the top and left side of my monitor, which keeps flashing fast and I can see my desktop in that border line. It's not so noticable in daylight missions, but at night or when I enter a dark place, the flashing is horrible and keeps distracting me from playing the game.

Is there any solution to get rid of this thing?

Here's a cellphone recorded video (3GP format) of the issue:

Download (and a mirror incase you're having trouble with mediafire)

My PC:

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2,91GHz

4GB RAM

GF 9800GTX+ 512MB

Windows XP Professional SP3 (With all the Windows updates ofcourse)

NVIDIA Driver version: 186.18

Physx helped a little, a few FPS at best.

Turning Vsynch off has had the biggest impact, jumping my FPS by about another 5 on avergae in the Campaign City section early in the Campaign.

In that mission im now getting about 33 Tops, dropping on avergare no lower than 22, except on the odd ocasion down to high teens FPS.

im on 182 drivers.

Cyrsis 64 SLI on

-Winxp

-Nosplash

might try the latest drivers and see what i get??

I still think its the CPU optimisation, GPU still has lots of guts. Which is odd as i have an oc I7920 @3.7ghz & 6 Gig ram

Right-click the config file, select properties and then mark "read only". That will prevent the game from overwriting your customization.

But game would still use the wrong value - not the one in config?!

-KJT-

but if power consumption is going down and there is nog big heating of the gfx something telse me its not working as hard as it should be.

You found the answer :yay: BI have gone green, just think thats a 35-50 Watt differnce x no of world wide players, BI have found a way to save the planet:D. Thankyou BI........

Now that you've saved some power, could you please optimize your very inefficient code.:mad:

I will put my findings here because there are a lot of treads about the performance, but i have nvidia so i can only say the following for the nvidia cards.

Have the game since friday and spent most of my time now tweaking it because performance was bad. First of al my system specs :

Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz

nvidia 750SLI chipset

2x 500 Gb raid striping 4 partitions

4Gb 800Mhz ram

vista 32

XFX 250 GTS 512 mb

These are my findings :

oc cpu further no big performance

oc gpu no big performance

all the tweaks that you can find on this forum, no big performance but it got more stable no more big frame drops.

I play the campaign arround 23 fps and it stays there, little drops to 20 fps but hats it. thats playble for me because this is no high end rig anymore.

idlle its arround 55 C

This is strange to me, because in arma1 i get 75 C and fan spinning up in arma2 no fan spinning up and 65 C

i noticed the same thing and my system is half as beefy as yours with equal performance...). also i noticed that whatever changes i made had no major influence on performance in the game... the FPS in the menue screen however seem to be varying... i wonder if there is some engine that doesnt initialise for the actual game itself....

Edited by Mc Speedfreak

Mc Speedfreak;1336873']i noticed the same thing. also i noticed that whatever changes i made had no major influence on performance in the game... the FPS in the menue screen however seem to be varying... i wonder if there is some engine that doesnt initialise for the actual game itself....

Removing Vsynch has removed the introduction screen (Carrier) FPS cap of 60 for me. It now goes up to anywhere like 130ish FPS?? Not helping that much in game though.

doesnt make a diff what i change... tried turning everything off in ctrl panel .. tried to max all... same results

(sorry my english - learned 20 years ago, and never used... :j:)

...so i am thinking some how arma2 isnt using the full power of my gfx...

this is exactly the same as i thought. it looks like to be impossible for me to reach framerates over ~25 fps on every detail settings (except on the main menu screen with ~50-60fps; all settings highest). most fps i see is 10-20 - really not playable. i've tested this game on my vista ultimate 64-bit, xp prof. and win 7 64-bit without any success. used different drivers and configs... sli or not. best stable fps i found under win xp, but only ~2,5gb ram available (32bit-sys) :(

while playing i see the same low gpu temp's as wardog01 ~50-60°C on both gpu's. other games like crysis bring up to 80-85°C on gpu - looks like the graphics cards have nothing to do while cpu goes from 50-80%

like wardog01 i spent most time tweaking... not playing... until now.

I have an

XFX nForce 780i SLI Socket 775 Motherboard

Nvidia BFG 8800GTS 512MB

OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

Windows Vista Home Prem 32-bit DSP OEM

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3Ghz 6MB 1333FSB

I get the stutter in game even if i put my graphics on low. I know my system can handle everything on very high no lag bc i tested it with a lot of high detail and system strenuous games. My comp handles everything. Can you please help me out and is the real game going to be like this or is it a problem only in the demo. Im in the U.S. and waiting for the release for American version and i will be really mad if the game will be like this.

idlle its arround 55 C

Just curious, are you monitoring the clock speed of your GFX card? Does it get to the same frequency for both Arma1 and 2?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me switching off PhysX did nothing.

-WinXp gives me about 4 extra FPS, although no gain when "zoomed"

Forcing off Vsync from the drivers gives me a couple of higher FPS while Zoomed, also seems smoother when zooming in and out.

XFX780i(p07)

C2Q9300 @stock 2.5

XFX9800GTX*2 SLI (Driver Version:186.18 / PhysX:909.04.28)

4gb Dominator 8500

Extreme Music

VistaU64

Edited by -=seany=-
Vsync

Ive now tried 186 drivers and they have caused me big problems. I can now not save in game without it crashing back to desk top?

Anyone else getting this?

Ive gone back to 182 drivers, but the problem is persisting. It also tried to do an auto save and had the same CTD?

Anyone know how to fix this?

I got CTD all the time.. regardless of what I do... and I tried "it all" so to speak...

totally unplayable for me

Just curious, are you monitoring the clock speed of your GFX card? Does it get to the same frequency for both Arma1 and 2?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

yep, just wish there was a program that i could see the gpu load, bin searching for it but its impossible for nvidia i read most of the times.

there is this :

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html

but that is a little to much for me.

I always play all my games with physx turned off unless a game specifically supports it.

Im running 186.18 drivers, this game is unplayable.

I'm also really miffed as to why in the patch notes it says:

"* .58134 Fixed localVRAM detection on Vista x64 systems with 8 GB RAM and more"

Well not for me it hasn't. I'd shelved this game last week because i couldnt get a decent level of performance out of it, and the only way to get arma2 to recognise either of my 2xGTX285's was to cripple my system by limiting Windows to only use 4Gb of my 12gb ram.

The end result for me is just not worth it. I work 5 days a week as a Windows engineer for my job, and i've now spent in total more than 30 hours trying to get ArmA2 to run at an acceptable level. It won't run at more than 20fps, I've tried damn near all suggestions on this forum to get a decent performance level. Yet Crysis on the benchmark levels on the same system averages 56fps with everything maxed at 1680x1050. I really dont want to have to come home after a hard day and continually screw about with my gaming rig settings, or config files, or shortcuts to get this game working. I really wanted to, because it's been sold as a very immersive experience.

I am very jealous of you lot that get decent performance!

Sorry BIS, but thats enough from me. I'll just chalk this down to a bad purchase decision and maybe come back to it in a few months time perhaps.

yep, just wish there was a program that i could see the gpu load, bin searching for it but its impossible for nvidia i read most of the times.

there is this :

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html

but that is a little to much for me.

I use RivaTuner myself, pretty easy to use. Give it a try:

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

If you have any questions about it, PM me and I'll try and help you ;)