Sign in to follow this  
wazandy

Dear Bohemia Interactive. Are you actually reading this forum?

This is getting rather ridiculous.

Your game is randomly crashing, slowly disintegrating and producing random gamekill bugs in systems worth many thousands of dollars.

Your players are now having to personally debug the game themselves.

Many have had to completely reinstall entire operating systems just to make sure their systems are stable enough to run this thing.

I'm now actually rather enjoying this, in a purely masochistic way, as I really can't believe how a game can personally bug itself to death.

If it's not textures reappearing and disappearing at random, it's those amazing complete shutdowns and crashes to desktop that start to happen for absolutely no reason. Silver faced soldiers, a screen that suddenly decides to blur itself completely and, of course, those amazing AI pilots who fly into trees for absolutely no reason.

I've got a system that can run Crysis on ultra settings at a blistering frame-rate, yet Armed Assault 2 sometimes drops to 5/6 frames a second.

Can you please let the community know that you're actively working on mending what is, basically, a half-finished game.

Until then, I can't wait for OF2 - and I NEVER thought I'd say that.

Many have had to completely reinstall entire operating systems just to make sure their systems are stable enough to run this thing.

I have one question, how do you install your GPU drivers? (I mean EXACTLY how do you install them.) It makes a BIG difference.

I've got a system that can run Crysis on ultra settings at a blistering frame-rate, yet Armed Assault 2 sometimes drops to 5/6 frames a second.

Have you changed the drivers since you ran Crysis? Or does it still run great and stable while AA2 is giving problems? (Answer truthfully and not to save face.)

Edited by redmotion

If you read the threads you'll notice that there's a bunch of guys with "Staff" or something like that near their avatars, those are the actual developers and such constantly reading these forums.

BTW, a lot of the bugs you mention seem to be FADE related, might want to reinstall to make sure that's not the issue.

And not trying to sound insulting, but I played through the campaign, the scenarios and make my own missions and rarely encounter a bug now (except for the AI occasionally running over civilians, but who says that's a bug ><)

Although, I could just be lucky and have landed with the perfect setup.

If you tweak a little ArmA II, you will figure out that it is not as buggy as you say.

Of course, you can't know it but get a look at the ArmaHolic performance topic within these forums.

Many little advices to seriously improve your performance until BIS enhances this aspect.

Regards,

TB

I have one question, how do you install your GPU drivers? (I mean EXACTLY how do you install them.)

Have you changed the drivers since you ran Crysis? Or does it still run great and stable while AA2 is giving problems? (Answer truthfully and not to save face.)

I've rolled back to 182.50 after trying both the latest drivers and the 190s.

Oh, and I delete through control panel, restart in safe mode, sweep with driver cleaner, restart, add new driver. Perfect.

No, I haven't played Crysis at all since AA2 - to be honest, I'm too busy attempting to play it but I'll fire it up if you want me to test.

I'm not alone here, i7 and 2XX cards simply don't work with this game yet.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

If you read the threads you'll notice that there's a bunch of guys with "Staff" or something like that near their avatars, those are the actual developers and such constantly reading these forums.

BTW, a lot of the bugs you mention seem to be FADE related, might want to reinstall to make sure that's not the issue.

And not trying to sound insulting, but I played through the campaign, the scenarios and make my own missions and rarely encounter a bug now (except for the AI occasionally running over civilians, but who says that's a bug ><)

Although, I could just be lucky and have landed with the perfect setup.

As I've said on earlier posts, I'm just incredibly disappointed really.

I couldn't play Armed Assault because it wouldn't run on a Vista 64 system well, and now I've upgraded to a system I can barely afford (pretty well to play this game) and I find that my system is actually unique in the fact that (from what I read in many, many posts) AA2 HATES it!

Yarr, I think it's a 2xx issue. I'd suggest searching the forums and trying every fix stated, and hopefully it'll be fully fixed by either Microsoft or BIS soon enough.

Hehe.

The best card I could afford can't run the one game I want to play!

* sigh *

Yep, the world hates Gamers, hopefully it'll be patched soon.

Now if they could just release a patch to "fix" my girlfriend.

Yep, the world hates Gamers, hopefully it'll be patched soon.

Upgrade.

lol

Give me her number. I'll see what I can do.....

while in no way disputing that this game has issues ( havent found the piece of software that doesnt) i want to make you aware of the majority of players that dont have problems with the game. most of them you will rarely hear from as they have no reason to ask questions or complain.

i am running arma2 on a low- mid level system without any issues whatsoever... which, i have to be honest, seriously surprised me.

i dont want to sound patronising , so please take this in the spirit it is said:

1. make sure your software environment is up to the task.

- clean out all unnecessary programs, use a utility to clean and defrag your registry.

- use utilities like Game Booster to deactivate all unnecessary background tasks before starting the game.

- read technical forums and tune your hardware. NO- i dont mean overclock (that tends to add instability) but rather set your graphic settings in the utility that comes with your card. (for example deactivate V-synch. arma runs and looks fine without it.)

2. Make sure your Hardware is up to the task:

- dont simply rely on big numbers. a big CPU and a big Graphic board need loads of power. that is something that is often overlooked.

- open your PC and get rid of dust - the ammount of PCs i have serviced and had to clean out first is unreal. DUST creates HEAT - Heat creates problems.

- defrag your hard drive. nothing is a bigger dampener on Arma than a heavily fragmented HD.

- problems can come from all directions... even if the game itself might be perfectly written... there is a chance that some 3rd party problems occur.( the way the OS handles the graphic drivers for example )

last but not least- be concise when reporting a problem, be helpful and be patient.

there is not one bugfree piece of Software that i am aware of... and the lads at BIS are trying... really... they do :)

my system:

Processor

Model : Intel® Core2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz

Speed : 2.13GHz

System

System : Packard Bell BV iPower J8600

Mainboard : Packard Bell BV P5NSLI

Bus(es) : PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus

Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No

Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes

System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD P5NSLI 0204

Total Memory : 3GB

Chipset

Model : ASUS 0070h

Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 267MHz (1.07GHz)

Memory Module(s)

Memory Module : Micron 8HTF12864AY-53EE1 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-4300U

Memory Module : Micron 8HTF12864AY-53EE1 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-4300U

Memory Module : Aeneon AET760UD00-30DB97X 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300U

Memory Module : Aeneon AET760UD00-30DB97X 1GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300U

Graphics Processor

Adapter : GeForce 8800 GTX (1.00, 768MB, 1.33GHz)

Audio Device : Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi

Operating System(s)

Windows System : Microsoft Windows Vista Home 6.00.6001 (Service Pack 1)

ArmAII avg FPS: 30 @ 1360x768

Your game is randomly...

I agree with you wazandy. My system is not as fast as yours Q9300 280 GTX but I have a lot of problems too - even after last patch.

The Armaholic-tips are not bad, but why we need to advise the program with command line options like -maxmem=xyz. Its on the responsibility of the programmer to call "::GlobalMemoryStatusEx(...)" or other API's to know how much mem we have.

Edited by Steinfisch

Your game is randomly crashing, slowly disintegrating and producing random gamekill bugs in systems worth many thousands of dollars.

Your players are now having to personally debug the game themselves.

I'm now actually rather enjoying this, in a purely masochistic way, as I really can't believe how a game can personally bug itself to death.

If it's not textures reappearing and disappearing at random, it's those amazing complete shutdowns and crashes to desktop that start to happen for absolutely no reason. Silver faced soldiers, a screen that suddenly decides to blur itself completely and, of course, those amazing AI pilots who fly into trees for absolutely no reason.

Can you please let the community know that you're actively working on mending what is, basically, a half-finished game.

Until then, I can't wait for OF2 - and I NEVER thought I'd say that.

2xx cards are not the issue as I have very few performance problems with 3 x 280 under XP 64.

There do seem to be some problems with Vista/Win7 64 Bit. They'll get fixed sooner or later.

A2 isn't Crysis and these constant "I can run Crysis @ 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 with details @ solar system" references really aren't making your case. Crysis is a fairly rail based FPS game. While it allows for some limited non-linear gameplay, it is not in the same realm technically as A2.

Finally, there are definitely problems with the game but the simple truth is that it is ALWAYS this way with BIS. In a few months, when the game has had some more patches and once the community has had some time with it, performance will improve dramatically.

OFP/ArmA isnt a good place for those who want a perfect experience out of the box. It doesn't matter how much money you throw at it, these games require some degree of patience or you will just end up tearing your hair out. Anyone who does any research or has played any of BIS's previous games knows what to expect.

I'm not saying I like it, but I wouldn't purchase anything that they developed knowing what I know if I wasn't prepared for the long haul and OFP/ArmA is an experience that you have to strap yourself in for.

OFP/ArmA are more like canvases than games to me (and many others I suspect). I have never bought them for the campaign or the SP. I like the freedom they afford in terms of creating my own missions and it's a freedom that NO other game permits.

Good luck,

Eth

PS : Good luck with OFP2. It might be more your cup of tea :)

Edited by BangTail

why should they read this forum? dont think that many devs read forums regularly, forums are a "valve to release" pressure and to minimize support in the hopes that people will help each other, the forum mods are the sheriffs who make sure that theres no "bad marketing" on the forums, i.e. deleteing, locking posts that are bad for the companies reputation (sure they ll lock this post soon).

why should they read this forum? dont think that many devs read forums regularly, forums are a "valve to release" pressure and to minimize support in the hopes that people will help each other, the forum mods are the sheriffs who make sure that theres no "bad marketing" on the forums, i.e. deleteing, locking posts that are bad for the companies reputation (sure they ll lock this post soon).

You obviously new to this forum ... (look around more to find developers posts :)

BI forums are around over 9 years and lot of developers are regulary visiting them, reading posts and entering discussions ...

we value our community ...

Seriously, there are so many severely critical posts and they are not locked. All I ever see is mods locking stuff that is repetitive.

BIS have their flaws but not being involved with their community and/or disallowing criticism are not among them.

Eth

Look back over the Arma 1 threads, you'll notice that the developers not only helped in the forums, but they helped modders develop some top mods.

I just hope that they fix the bugs prior to the US release in retail. There are a lot of gamers that I know that would try a game like this but if it is broken for them they usually just cast it aside and tell their buddies to not bother. I have the 505 version that I got online.

There seems to be a 2XX problem. My friends with these cards report worse FPS than the rest of us with much cheaper systems.

Im sure BIS is looking into this.

Dear Bohemia Interactive. Are you actually reading this forum?

Dear Wazandy,

Yes, hence the 3 patches so far, hence the numerous "Bohemia Interactive" posts on various support issues, hence the numerous official requests for feedback/information to help guide us in our patching plans and such.

Kind Regards,

Bohemia Interactive.