Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

Binoculars and laser designator.

We now have the ability to move when having binoculars or the laser designator selected, thats good.

The bad part is that when we have them selected we are forced to look thru them unless we are on the move.

I'd like them to behave like a weapon, its annoying to be forced to look thru the binoculars just because im holding them.

In short, make it like a sniper rifle instead :) .

i once could walk with binos selected and not watching through them. This was tested in Demo version.

But i don't remember what i did :s

Ill try to find out what i did to be able to walk with binos selects but not looking through them.

Binos should be made the same as the Laser des for sure. You can walk with binos but you cant remove them with mouse click like the laser des.

Laser des in ARMA2 is made like ACE1's click function plus that you can walk/run with them. But binos stays when you walk and is taken down when moving faster. However as soon as you stop they go back up. Click to look through and click again to move away from eyes would be best - just like the ARMA2 laser des.

Alex

There's another problem with binoculars; if you're using them standing, then go crouched, your character puts the binoculars away, brings out the main weapon, then puts that away and brings out the binoculars again. It's annoying, and if you don't have a weapon it's actually impossible to use binoculars crouched.

I agree the binoculars should function as a weapon, although I do think pressing B should put them up to your eyes immediately.

this also happens if you are in prone position with binoculars and press to get up, he will get up and pick up the rifle and then go back to binoculars. Annoying crap.

This issues were pointed some time ago even for ArmA1.

I guess BIS have not fixed it yet, hope they fix it in the future. It sucks big time.

Edit: I agree to what Heatseeker edited in 1st post. i would like to be able to hold the binoculars not not being forced to look trough them. Would be nice to use a V key of some kind to look trough them and keep them down to quick see whats around us in a general way without actually using the binoculars and without changing to other weapon.

Note: this suggestion was added to "my feedback (positive and negative) area"

Edited by bravo 6

Edit: I agree to what Heatseeker edited in 1st post. i would like to be able to hold the binoculars not not being forced to look trough them.

Yeah just like the LD. They should share same animations.

The Binocular hard coded method is from like the Stone Age way back in OFP. By all rights it should just be another "weapon" that you can raise, lower, use optics, etc that you can do with an M4 but BIS has continually ignored the caveman implementation from long, long ago.

Hi, yeah the way that the binocs work in ArmA series suck, that thing of stand up, switch

to the main or side weapon or even AT weapon and then to the binocs again... really suck.

That annoying wrong chain of animations have killed me many times in SP as well as in MP.

Other thing that will be pimp to see, is if the binocs were modern models, not late 70s ones

taken out from a Steve Mc Queen's movie.

They, like the LD, should work/be like any scoped weapon, and when unarmed... you should

be able of use 'em in crouched possition, using the same anim that's used when you've

an AT weapon selected and pull out the binocs, that if you change your knee... that should

also be the crouch firing possition. Let's C ya

*Edit: This is the possition that i meant:

ArmA_108.jpg

It would only need to bend forward the unit's back and then it will be perfect, i was

wrong about the knee, left one up, right one on the ground seated over the heel.

Edited by wipman

All very good points, and please make it so that B key also brings out the LD - not as action menu item.

But you can have Binoculars and LaserDesignator at the same time.

But you can have Binoculars and LaserDesignator at the same time.

Correct, perhaps we shoulnt since both can be used for the same purpose?

For example you cant have binoculars, laser designator and NVG's.. so if your going out at night (and need NVG) you have to choose betwean the LD or the binos anyway..

Also noticed that if you have nvg's in your inventory and put the laser designator away your character model will put the NVG model away instead, a minor thing from the past (OPF) :D .

If you've got LD you don't even need the binos lol..

Another thing that i just noticed from Demo version and can Not do.

Some times its really useful to use the roll over animation to quick get cover.

Roll over can Not be done when we are using the binoculars.

Would be nice if we could and be able to roll over with the binoculars in the hands, in order to find cover quicker.

I'm not asking to also include the Laser Designator because it might be bigger and heavier then the binoculars.

We should be allowed to have any permutation of binoculars, laser designators, or NVGs... what if you want to bring some to give to someone else? Why artificially limit options.

What ArmA needs to do is stop treating Binoculars as a "special case" item that's all hardcoded with the class name and shiz and just make it a regular weapon.

Funny how you can move with binocs faster in crouch than in upright stance.

With 3rd person turned off, I don't see any difference in binocs and LD.

What annoys me is that with crosshairs turned off, you don't know if you're designating or not.

I'm REALLY SAD that we CAN'T (at least in the Demo) use the binoculars while in tank/vehicle commander/driver/gunner/cargo position when Turned Out.

This should have been implemented already.

I think the driver should also be able to use them inside the vehicle or when Turned Out.

OFP2_tank_binoculars_s.jpg

Heres one thing that i liked in OFP2 pictures.

Beast_tank_binoculars_s.jpg

Beast youtube video (01:03 / 09:10 mins), commander uses the binocular in tank while turned out.

@BIS, is there a reason not to implement binocular while inside vehicles?! If people want to use them inside the vehicle, even if it seems stupid, let them use them if they want. I only see benefits to have this working.

more pictures:

picture 1

picture 2

picture 3

orig.jpg

071115-A-6646C-224.jpg

071115-A-6646C-102.jpg

Edited by bravo 6

Hi, we never gonna be able of use the binocs when in a vehicle, this is like with any other

weapon when you're in the cargo or any other seat in a vehicle; you become "part of the

mass". That's the most annoying thing that i find in booth ArmA and ArmA2, which is a big

bug, limit or however you want to call it. Will be pimp to be able of assign a key for the

LD as we do with the binocs or the NVGs. Let's C ya

Hi, we never gonna be able of use the binocs when in a vehicle, this is like with any other

weapon when you're in the cargo or any other seat in a vehicle; you become "part of the

mass". That's the most annoying thing that i find in booth ArmA and ArmA2, which is a big

bug, limit or however you want to call it. Will be pimp to be able of assign a key for the

LD as we do with the binocs or the NVGs. Let's C ya

But then why CAN you move your head inside the vehicle? If you CAN move your head inside the vehicle, you should also be able to use a kind of binoculars.

Also it exits a soldier animation when soldiers are in cargo position (chopper or truck) so there could be an animation to use one hands to hold the binoculars with an animation to raise arms.

If there is a movement for the wheel, we can see it moving inside, this means there are animations inside vehicles.

With some time i believe BIS could accomplish this perfectly if they want.

Edited by bravo 6
typo

Make new 'turrets' available with forced optics if you have binoculars, or assume that vehicles have binoculars in them. Not sure what the engine allows. So you get a new action like 'Use Binocular' that would be something like 'Switch to Commanders Seat turned out with binocular' thingy? Dunno...

How does one use the Laser Designator? I tried it in Multiplayer and it didnt work - nothing happened.

Is it disabled in Multiplayer?

You bring it out, fire once to turn on the laser, fire again to turn off the laser. The laserDesignator takes a battery magazine. It won't work without the battery.

You bring it out, fire once to turn on the laser, fire again to turn off the laser. The laserDesignator takes a battery magazine. It won't work without the battery.

Ahhh it needs a battery magazine, thanks so much man.