Sign in to follow this  
walker

On the Role of medics

Hi all

The role of the quiet hero

I thought I would write a little on the role of medics in ArmA II.

The medic like the helicopter pilot is one of the most respected people on the field of battle in ArmA.

It is the role of the quiet hero. When you take the role or see others take it respect that.

MARK YOUR POSITION

The map is one of the key medical assets. You can mark the position of your Aid station. Casualties, their buddies, team leaders, officers and the Battle Commander (BC) can all mark casualty positions and CASEVAC points on the map.

Your kit (until we get ACE)

Smoke: Take plenty 4 to 6 maybe more. The guys you are rescuing are in the firing line you are going to need it. be genourous.

Rifle, red dot or iron sites, you are not a sniper.

Pistol

Satchel charges for breaching walls to make it easier to get to casualties. But be aware until we get proper breaching charges in a MOD or preferably a patch these are big and you need to ensure your buddies and your self are well clear of the explosion. Give a warning and a 10 second countdown over VOIP BLUE Channel so all your side can hear.

Do not take AT it busts your camouflage, your survival often depends on not being seen. But you can ask buddies to provide AT cover or breach a wall for you

Your Kit will expand with patches and when ACE comes out.

On the battlefield

Think carefully before firing. Do not fire unless you or your casualty are fired upon, firing attracts fire. This does not mean let an open chance to defend you buddies go by. It means your role is to keep them alive and your role is seriously compromised by being a casualty or being dead.

Defensive aid practice

When in defense set up a central Aid station in cover and mark it on the map. Let casualties walk or be brought to you. If you have to go to a serious casualty that should not be moved let every one know over BLUE channel, mark a new proposed Aid Station position on the map close to that casualty, but still in cover and delete your old medic station marker, that way you will be able to treat the other casualties quicker.

Assault aid practice

Stay back unless ordered stay between 5m to 100m behind the front line, depending on urban and open country.

Assess the situation what are the threats? This casualty got hit from somewhere. Do not add to the casualties by getting your self killed or wounded. The overall BC should arrange a security team where possible, but do not expect it; your and the casualties best security protection is the BC winning the fight and pushing the enemy away form the casualty. If the casualty is out in the open throw smoke to cover the casualties position. If the casualty can be moved, you can drag or carry them to cover.

Triage

DECIDE who needs to be treated, if you are on your way to a serious casualty, do not be side tracked by a walking wounded, tell them to follow you.

The casualties role

Get to cover if you can, thus reducing the risk to you and your buddies including the medic.

Call for help [5], [4]

If you are walking wounded go to the medic, do not have them come to you.

If you are redding or blacking out a lot the medic needs to know.

If you are unable to move. If possible Mark your position on the map, in BLUE channel so all can see it "Need Medic" clear it when you are fixed.

Call for help use VOIP and Chat. "Need Medic at Grid Ref..."

Establish that the medic knows about you and is coming to you. Be a patient patient it will take time for the medic to get to you, do not spam the chat or VOIP. Ask for sit-rep every 2 minutes not more often.

The buddies role

Prevention is better than cure. Watch you buddies back, warn them if you think something is risky, weigh the move or shot what are the risks?

When they get hit. Do not add to the casualties thus making it worse.

Throw smoke to conceal them. Provide covering fire, keep the enemies head down, even shots in the air may attract some of the fire away from them. Call it in on BLUE Channel "NEED MEDIC! at grid Ref..." Mark Map, VOIP and Text. Establish the medic knows about the casualty and that the medic has an ETA.

Movement

Can you get to them? Are they in cover? Do they need cover? Can they be moved? Do they have to be moved anyway. DECIDE FAST 30 seconds at most. Drag them or if you have to go a long distance carry them. Is it better to move them to the medic? GET BACK IN THE BATTLE do not hang around the aid station if the casualty is going to be there a while, buddy up with some one else or go to your immediate Superior's position, winning the fight is what best protects the casualty.

Treat them. many soldiers have first aid capabilities. Asses the casualty. Where is the blood, use common sense if it looks real bad tell the medic.

Respect the medic

Thank the medic. If they ask for smoke give it to them no questions asked. Cover them, most of the time they are not firing, you should be giving them covering fire so that they do not attract the fire but think about it; will your giving covering fire attract fire and attention to where the medic is? Always try to give covering fire from a flank.

The Battle Commander's role.

Plan, Plan, Plan. Decide the medical role before the battle. Tell the medics what their role in the plan is. Pre-plan aid stations same as helicopter LZ's. They need to be in cover, enclosed brick wall court yards and inside buildings, or behind a hill. Are you going to assign a helicopter to CASEVAC and carrying a medic?

In battle remember a BC's primary role is to win the battle and the casualties and medics best defense is your doing that. Do not allow your troops to get hung up clearing casualties. Keep momentum win the battle.

I am sure many more experienced players than me will add to and dispute this post which is all to the good.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
grammar and spelling

Very good guide, I like play as medic and stay behind, I never take AT for an example but I never thought about smoke. Im gonna do that alot more cos usually you are in a hot spot when someone is injured. Or dragging the injured soldier away but we never had that option before(besides ACE.)

Nice one! Only thing I don't agree on is the satchel charges. I'd assume the medic has enough to carry as it is, and blowing holes in walls is the job of combat engineers and regular breaching charge-equipped troops. :)

Hi all

A quick reminder to mission makers that the latest patch seems to have solved the problem with battlefield clearance and using the medic.

Kind regards walker

Good tip on the smoke, people use the same tactic in Americas Army 3, unfortunetly for AA3.. Arma2 came out :D . I guess the smoke finally blocks a.i. visability now?

Good tip on the smoke, people use the same tactic in Americas Army 3, unfortunetly for AA3.. Arma2 came out :D . I guess the smoke finally blocks a.i. visability now?

I haven't tested it properly, but it does feel like it. The AI will instantly start shooting suppressive fire into the smoke, but I have successfully moved through smoke screens and dragged wounded away from streets thanks to smoke.

Done it too little to be sure it wasn't coincidence though.

Hi all

I am looking forward to new Medic abilities with future patches and the ACE MOD.

Kind Regards walker

Hello there

Great bit of info, as usual.

As I almost always play medic, I feel i have to slightly give my view on one point.

I almost always take the DMR or the SPR rifles, as these allow me to scope out the area that a casualty is in and gives me an effective weapon to clear my way without getting down and dirty in cbt (especially with so few rounds), also it enables me to get involved with the fight (mainly in a Domination map situation, rather than a hardcore map) withought actually having to stay in the centre (or close to) of the battle field.

This method of play allows me to to be able to plot my route to the casualty.

Not realistic I know, but a way that works (for me online) online.

I also favour the G36 as it has both distant and CQB sights.

ACE will probably alter this entirely though.

Also, Im so used to smoke being ineffective to AI in previous non modded games that I didnt think abgout using it for cover. Great Tip.

(oh another reason for my sharpshooting preference is that my FPS drop in town and again its easier for me to take down hostiles from a distance)

Rgds

LoK