Sign in to follow this  
NIKO MY CUZIN

I bet OFP runs great now

I don't worry that much about people with slower PC's, yeah OFP is an old game but in the time since it came out people had more then enough time to upgrade their PC to something that can handle the game :)

Looks nice, just needs some more detail in the cities :) Maybe some road signs showing were to torn to get to a city and when you come to the city a sign showing the name of that city :)

Now i play the game on 1600x1020 with terrain "normal" , "visual detail to 5.17" , "FPS to max" and "visual distance to 1k".....

when you say fps to max what do you mean by that ? the slider in video options ?? which way do you have it .. that slider comtrols the LOD the game uses so having it all the way to the right "max FPS" means the game will down grade your gfx to give more fps and having it all way left (less fps) means the game will use the best detail

Now i play the game on 1600x1020 with terrain "normal" , "visual detail to 5.17" , "FPS to max" and "visual distance to 1k".....

when you say fps to max what do you mean by that ? the slider in video options ?? which way do you have it .. that slider comtrols the LOD the game uses so having it all the way to the right "max FPS" means the game will down grade your gfx to give more fps and having it all way left (less fps) means the game will use the best detail

Yes i mean the slider in the video!

if you set FPS slider bar all the way to the right it will force the game to give more FPS and can downgrade the LOD(the object looks a bit sqare'ish) on the object if you have a battle in towns for example and it causes lagg!!!but now i dont have much lagg problem so i can keep the both sliders to the right and the game runs smooth(never drops below 60FPS when playing missions in big towns and such) and the object do not lose any LOD (the more you set you "visual distance" slider to the right the beter the objects will look at long ranges!!!

Due it's age, OFP is incapable of taking advantage of newer hardware. A 2-3 year old PC will probably run it just as well as the latest Core i7 penis extender.

Pure win.

Of course OFP engine doesn't take advantage of all that current PC do offer, but it works a lot better on powerful systems.

I was wondering about the issue of max viewing distances - I for one have always noticed only marginal improvements over the times as I have upgraded my hardware, but I must say I'm quite happy with my current rig (Intel C2D 8400 3Ghz, 2GB DDR3, GTS-250 1Gb), normally I run OFP at 3k viewdistance, my trick being that I use few addons and old islands that don't need additional addons. One thing I remember though is that in MP the viewdistance is reduced, is there any fixed value for that? Same goes for the weather, it also impacts viewdistance - best weather gives farthest viewdistance, whereas crappiest weather gives reduced viewdistance - would anybody know as to how far the viewdistance is reduced to with worst weather?

Buzzard,

As I have upgraded over the years I have noticed improvements as I changed video cards. From the early days when my Voodo 16mb card forced me to run at 640x480 in 16colors with low terrian and low VD, then upgraded to an MX400, but when I moved to the FX5700 128mb I saw the biggest change in performance and finally I could access the higher resolution modes in 32 colors :)

I now have an GTX8800 320mb and can run terrian at normal and VD at 5k with very little lag. This being not too realistic I try to keep VD around 1200. I'm not sure what the default VD is for MP. Most MP missions set the VD with or without weather effect from maybe 600 to 1000? Some missions run a view distance negotiation script that benchmarks all clients machines and sets VD for the lowest ranked machine. Playing with others that all have good computers I have seen VD negotiated between 2000 and 2200.