Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

"Connecting Failed" issue - Specially when hosting Campaign

My friend and I worked the problem out. We found out a few things.

First of all the ports needed are deffinatly:

2302 UDP

2304 UDP

2305 UDP

I have seen tons of people post different ports that are needed to play but it is ONLY the above 3. I believe BIS even stated somwhere that the ports are 2302 2303 and 2305. That is bullshit.

I can connect to everything now without problems. I did read somwhere that with certain router you need to set up a virtual server to host games.

If all else fails you can bypass the router completely and that works too but for most like me that is just not an option. Good luck all.

i have the same issue as well. i am however trying to connect to a dedicated server that others have no issue connecting to. i do go through a router with NAT, and that is necessary.

it takes at least 3 times to get a connection, sometimes i can never connect with even 7 tries. get connection failed message. if i do by some miracle get into the game, it takes about a minute before the connection gets gradually worse; broken yellow chain, broken red chain, red chain with the messages 'no message to 10 seconds', etc. eventially i just have to drop.

anyone have any ideas? all the udp ports are allowed to the dedicated server and my game machine is in a DMZ.

found an error in my arma2.rpt file:

Exe version: 1.02.58134

NAT Negotiation failed (NNThink - result 2)

would be nice to know what that means. most of the entries are result 2, but some are result 3.

anyone?

Turn of any software firewalls you have, including windows firewall.

Turn off your hardware/router firewall and setup a static IP.

Turn DMZ off and portforward the above mentioned ports for TCP and UDP.

Disabled hamachi network service if you have it installed.

Yapa

I'm having the same problems, after installing a new router today (the SMC SMC7904WBRA-N). My mate just can't connect to my game, with the connection failed error. I've done the following:

1.) Forwarded all ports from 2300 to 2305, as well as 53,80,88 and 3074 for both TCP and UDP (as per the instructions on portforward.com)

2.) I've allowed ARMA 2 through the Windows Firewall (running Windows 7)

3.) I tried disabling my router's firewall - no difference, and to be honest I'd rather not have to disable such protection for one game

4.) I even ran a port checker to see if my ports were open - all the ones listed above showed up as open.

It's really annoying... and yet, not so surprising =\

Any ideas?

A quick update on the status of my problem. I changed my router's port forwarding settings last night; instead of setting it up to open a range of ports (2300 to 2307), I gave each port a different entry (2300,2301,2302.2303, etc).

The result? One friend could join without a problem. Yet my other friend, while trying to join the exact same game, got the connection failed error. I've done all I can from my end - here's hoping BIS fix it in the upcoming patch.

i have done all of the above: put into dmz; removed from dmz and forwarded ports; never run windows firewall, hamachi is not installed. the only i have not done was disabling/bypassing my router. that i am not going to do as this game is supposed to handle NAT. i have too many computers on my home network and can just not bypass the router. the 1.02 patch even states that it fixed NAT issues so what gives? others are experiencing this as well, so my guess is it was not really fixed.

nobody? no help? the reason i bought this game was to play coop online. if i am stuck with MP i may as well sell it. urrgh!

Yes, I still have this same problem (even after 1.05) and I would like to solve this! It frustrating not to be able to play the campaign in co-op for example!

Install Wireshark and set it up to look at your network device & filter for UDP packets while connecting to a game (or receiving connections from others) this will allow you to see if the packets are actually arriving at your PC (and hence not being blocked by any upstream firewalls).

Meanwhile, I have very similar problems connecting to ARMA2 online games. Sometimes I can connect just fine, sometimes I just get stuck at the server info screen. With all the other player pings greyed out. No idea why.

DrMcCleod,

Following your sugestion I downloaded and installed Wireshark and with that program opened (and filters set to UDP) I noticed that the UDP packets do seem to reach the hosting PC (when a friend of mine is hosting a game in his PC) and they also reach my PC when I'm the one hosting a game BUT nevertheless I can't connect to hosted ArmA2 games (if it's hosted on someone's PC) and others can't connect to me when I'm the one hosting a game on my PC when playing ArmA2!

The strangest thing here are:

1- I can easily connect to the vast majority of dedicated servers available in ArmA2 server browser but I can't connect to someone which is hosting an ArmA2 game in his PC despite always seeing that hosted game in the ArmA2 browser - If someone couldn't connect to a game that I was hosting that would be far more understandable (due to ports closed, firewalls, etc... which BTW were all opened an disable when testing these connections) BUT not being able to connect to someone's game while other internet players can it's simply unexplainable!

2- Internet players can't connect to games that I host despite all ports and all firewalls (windows and router) being either opened or turned off.

I know almost for sure that the problem seems to be related with a partical incompatibility of my Router with ArmA2 (or vice-versa) but honestly I would like to see this solved (even because it also seems that I'm not the only one having similar problems as well)!

Do you think it could have something to do with the operating system with some of our issues? Like my friend and I are trying to get ingame with one another and he is hosting on a Windows 7 opsys, while I am on Windows XP. I wonder if that may have something to do with the firewall not allowing each other to play together, even though they show up in the multiplayer internet browser as a joinable game.

Nope.

Actually I solved my problem when I changed my router, so it' possible that the problem could somehow be related to my previous router. Like I said, when I changed my router (same operating system, etc...) this problem of mine was imediatly solved.