Sign in to follow this  
ricnunes

"Connecting Failed" issue - Specially when hosting Campaign

First of all, I've already searched this forum about this issue and found something which I believe that it could somehow be related with but after following the tips that I found I wasn't sucessfull in solving my problem, therefore I decided to post and create this thread.

The problem appeared today when I tried to play the campaign cooperativelly with some of my friends but unfortunally when I was hosting my friends couldn't connect to me (they always got the "Connecting Failed" messenge) with the exception of one which lives in the same city as I and curiously have the same ISP as I.

Then my friends (with the exception of the one that could connect to me, since he had to leave in the meanwhile) decided to host the campaign themselfs but then I was the one getting the "Connecting Failed" messenge everytime I tried to connect to the host.

This is really odd, since I have my Router Firewall disable, I have a DMZ pointing to my PC and I even opened the 2302, 2303, 2305, 2307 TCP and UDP ports (even if I believe that this shouldn't be necessary since I have the router firewall disabled and DMZ pointing to my PC), I also gave permition to ArmA2 in the Windows XP firewall and even more odd I have absolutelly NO problems connecting to a ArmA2 dedicated server. I can connected to every dedicated server available but if someone hosts an Internet game in most cases I simply cannot connect to that game and similar situations like this happens since Armed Assault. But this is more frustrating now, since I wish so much to play the campaing in coop with my friends!

BTW, my router is a Gigabyte GN-BR03GM.

I would really appreciate some help on this one!

Thanks in advance for replies....

I'm guessing it has to do with the net code. It's most likely detecting a high ping at first then blocking the connection, which would explain why your friend on the same ISP can connect as it never has to leave the exchange. There should be a way to change this in a config file (or if running a dedicated server) but I'm not sure how to do it myself.

Other than that, it could be an ISP issue. Servers are easy to connect to since they generally use Synchronous connections (same upload and download speeds) whereas home users use Asynchronous, slow upload fast download (ie; ADSL)

That could leave the problem at one of two likely issues. First being the netcode of the game, it may be designed for synchronous servers and the difference in time between sending and recieving at high administrative distances could be an issue.

The other possbile issue is if you ISP is detecting your server as an attempt to hog bandwidth and blocking it, although this is unlikely as the same problem happens on the other end.

Then again it could be related to a lot of other problems.

I'm not sure if what you mention could be the problem.

For example in one situation where there were 4 of us (me included), one of my friends (which doesn't live in the same city as I) decided to host a ArmA2 campaign game and everyone except me, including the friend of mine which lives in the same city and has the same ISP as I, managed to connect to the host.

So I'm not that sure if an ISP issue could be a possibility since the friend that has the same ISP as I seems to tbe able to connect to those Internet hosted game without problems.

Regarding the game's NET code I also have my reservations since my friend that has the same ISP as I have the same install as I -> ArmA2 (505 version) plus patch 1.02 without any mods or config files edited.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

No probs.

Just a suggestion to help isolate the problem. Run a trace route to each computer and get them to run a trace route to yours:

from command prompt (cmd) type tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace the xxx's with your friends outside ip address)

If that works fine (no timeouts) run a ping,

Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t

let that run for 2 minute and see if any packets are lost.

Hi Bulldogs,

I did what you sugested (Traceroute and ping to one of my friend's IP) and here what happened:

Using Traceroute the following happened:

- The traceroute to my friend's IP took 10 jumps in which everything appeared to be ok with the exception of Jump #9 which returned a Timeout.

Using the Ping (with -t parameter) during 2 minutes everything worked fine. I had no packet loss (0% loss).

Hope that this info can somehow be usefull to track the problem. And once again, thanks Bulldogs for helping me.

I have the exact same issue...

Me and my friends have tried Hamachi but the lag is way to bad to even bother, other internet games work just fine, just the ones created by me or my friends don't work.

Anyone else have more ideas?

Yes, I'm also beging for more ideas/solutions as well! I'm getting desperate on this one...

BTW, my connection to the internet is the following:

I connect to the Internet thru a Cable modem. Connected to that modem I have a wireless router. Connected to the Router I have my PC connected thru wireless and another PC connected thru LAN and sometimes I also connect my laptop thru wireless. I also have DMZ enable pointing to my PC (that has ArmA2 installed) in the router.

I did some tests, trying to connect my PC to the Router thru LAN with the exact same results (connecting failed). Then I decided to connect my PC directly to the cable modem and after that I could sucessfully connect to the servers/internet games which I wasn't able to connect before (when having the PC connected to the router). But since I have 2 PCs (3 with my laptop) which I want to connect to the internet thru my internet connection I need the router, so connecting directly to the modem is NOT an option!

Again, I beg for help in this one!

I get this error 90% of the time trying to connect online.

I can't even get my own LAN game going. I have 2 computers and just want to play a friggen LAN game. Connection failed! Tried to make an internet server, CONNECTION FAILED!

I tried to join an online server with both CPU (took awhile to find a server!) but finally I had both connected in the same server, so it wasn't an IP thing.

Then I tried another test. Both computers connect to only about 10% of servers, but NOT THE SAME ONES! WTF! I have no idea how to fix or even what to try when nothing is consistent.

HELP HELP HELP. I really want to play!

with the exception of one which lives in the same city as I and curiously have the same ISP as I.

Well I am not in any way networking expert but that sure smells like some NAT traversal problems. Does the friend connect to your public IP address like the rest of the guys or some other IP, possibly on ISP's intranet ?

BTW, my connection to the internet is the following:

I connect to the Internet thru a Cable modem. Connected to that modem I have a wireless router. Connected to the Router I have my PC connected thru wireless and another PC connected thru LAN and sometimes I also connect my laptop thru wireless. I also have DMZ enable pointing to my PC (that has ArmA2 installed) in the router.

I did some tests, trying to connect my PC to the Router thru LAN with the exact same results (connecting failed). Then I decided to connect my PC directly to the cable modem and after that I could sucessfully connect to the servers/internet games which I wasn't able to connect before (when having the PC connected to the router). But since I have 2 PCs (3 with my laptop) which I want to connect to the internet thru my internet connection I need the router, so connecting directly to the modem is NOT an option!

Again, I beg for help in this one!

So the way I see it:

Your PC over the router -> router over the modem to ISP's network -> friend on the same network * OK

Your PC over the router -> router over the modem to ISP's network -> ISP's gateway to Internet -> other guys on 'net * NOT OK

Your PC directly over the modem to ISP's network -> ISP's gateway to Internet -> other guys * OK

If that is how it is, then the game has problem getting over more than X hops which is kind of weird and is way over my limited knowledge in networking. The traceroute would help if you can compare the one from the outer net to the one from your friend's who can connect. I may be speaking total bullshit here so please take me with pinch of salt.

Well I am not in any way networking expert but that sure smells like some NAT traversal problems. Does the friend connect to your public IP address like the rest of the guys or some other IP, possibly on ISP's intranet ?

My friend (that has the same ISP) connects the same way as the other friends.

So the way I see it:

Your PC over the router -> router over the modem to ISP's network -> friend on the same network * OK

Your PC over the router -> router over the modem to ISP's network -> ISP's gateway to Internet -> other guys on 'net * NOT OK

Your PC directly over the modem to ISP's network -> ISP's gateway to Internet -> other guys * OK

Well what happens is the following:

If I'm hosting a game:

-> The friend that has the same ISP connects to my game without problems.

-> Some of my friends can connect to me ONLY when using REMOTE option. If they connect thru "normal means" (using filter) they get the "connection failed" messenge.

-> There are other friends that CANNOT connect to me not matter what method they use (Remote or "normal").

If my friends are hosting a game, the following can happen depending on the friend:

-> With some friends I can ONLY connect thru the REMOTE option. The "normal way" (using filter) get's me the "connecting failed" messenge.

-> With other friends I simply CANNOT connect (independently of which way I try to connect).

I hope this helps...

If that is how it is, then the game has problem getting over more than X hops which is kind of weird and is way over my limited knowledge in networking. The traceroute would help if you can compare the one from the outer net to the one from your friend's who can connect. I may be speaking total bullshit here so please take me with pinch of salt.

I've been wondering about this as well...

My friend is having the exact same situation. We checked the threads on this before, doing the netsh winsock thing, adding all the ports, enabling upnp but it didn't fix it. The tests we did:

My Created Server:

-His brother (on a modem + router) could connect, but he couldn't (also modem + router), ping was 2500, got connecting failed

His Created server:

-Neither I nor his brother could connect (same thing, 2500 ping, connecting failed)

His Brother's Created Server:

-I could connected, but he could not connect to it (same thing, 2500 ping, connecting failed)

He CAN connect to other servers from the server list in multiplayer. He also tried connecting directly to my IP address and that didn't work.

He and his brother are located in the same area, I believe. I am a few states away.

Any ideas?

Yes, I would also like to "hear" from BIS as well about this issue which seems to affect so many!

Same issue.

Can't connect two PCs up on LAN or online, unless we find that rare server that both can connect to(currently Brothers in Arma is the only server we have found).

For myself, I cannot join my brother's server, on our LAN, but he can join mine, but he tends to get a 'player x losing connection' and then eventually just disconnecting... wtf?

I have this issue also. I have searched for hours. No one seems to have an answer. I have tried ports, DMZ, No router. I want to play ARMA 2 with my bud who lives out of town but it's just not happening. We can play Internet games fine but when I try to host a game or he tries to host a game we get connecting failed every time.

It might be important to mention He is playing steam version and I am playing D2D version.

Well we can play it over Hamachi with no problem exept horrible pings. I can host and he can join me without problems. If he host I cant see his game.

Having the same problems - regardless of what ports are open/firewall on/off/MDZ on/off. Needs fixed (along with alot of other stuff)....

Hello.. ppl.

ok i have seen this error in the forum but never had it myself.. untill now.

Very strange

i Have a server that is hosted on another computer in my house.

Where i dunr domination campaign. it has worked perfect for over 2 weeks.

And today now when a friend and i wanted to try,. he can get on. bu i cannot. it says "Connecting Failed" i have tried everything. turned of my firewall restarted game/computer/router/server etc etc.

still the same. Connecting Failed!!!!!

what is wrong.?

The server is located on a computer in my house runnning dedicated version. so the same ip as me. i have tested to run it on different ports. 2303, 2379 etc etc.. no differense..

i can get on to other servers but my own dosnt work.???

anyone?

Still can't get a game to launch properly from the pre-game lobby - everytime I try I get the broken link symbol & everything de-syncs/crashes. . . . Also my mate can only connect to the lobby through the Remote option.

HOWEVER ... we've noticed that whilst the connection drops immediately on launch if I maintain the game as live he can subsequently re-connect to the game 'in-play' & play without any/much lag for +1hrs.

I can only surmise that since I've not changed any ports/firewalls etc during the rejion that the connection problem IS caused directly by the netcode - most likely when the game is starting there's far too much info sent immediately on jion (ie whole groups of AI all suddenly on the move at once - which is smoothed out in the first5-10 secs before my mate rejoins.

Maybe you could try this too Redfilf & let me know what happens - this still obviously isn't ideal, however it might let you play for a while anyway. Typically in Arma I I always tried to phase the AI groups into movement over the period of a minute or two & this might be worth a try as a temp workaround if you're any good with the editor.