Sign in to follow this  
Chaz

ATI 4800 series users

Which drivers work/do not work in order to get playable, consistent, unartifact-ed frame rates? What resolution are you using?

I have an ATI 4870HD 512mb.

Thanks.

I have tested my 4870 1Gb with 9.5 and 9.6 with no problems. FPS 35-55.

try to add "-winxp" on shortcut , i think it has something to do with vsync forced on vista.

with a single card, i think it's a plus . i don't have mouselag with that ...

I too have that card and would also like to know. I currently am running catalyst 9.4. I'm wondering if it would be smart to install 9.6? Also, lods are kind of annoying in arma2, as grass sometimes doesn't thickin up when its supposed to, and some tree that seem closer than others that are fully rendered dont render correctly and have that stupid 2d texture.

Edited by POTS

3D_Performance=-80000;

localVRAM=1000;

nonlocalVRAM=1995;

sceneComplexity=150000;

Try to add this to arma2.cfg. Then modify it to read only.

Just change localVRAM to 512, or what ever amount memory your card has.

I personally didn't like 9.6 as it would cause driver crashes and i had 4 BSOD with about 3 different games.

Now i am happily back at 9.5.

I too have that card and would also like to know. I currently am running catalyst 9.4. I'm wondering if it would be smart to install 9.6? Also, lods are kind of annoying in arma2, as grass sometimes doesn't thickin up when its supposed to, and some tree that seem closer than others that are fully rendered dont render correctly and have that stupid 2d texture.

i run 9.6 with vista64. i'm sure my mouselag is gone . and -winxp in exe shortcut is the reason. arma2 in multiplayer run baddly. capped @ 30fps it seem. but mouselag is the worst thing anyway. it's a less bad situation actually ...

i run 9.6 with vista64. i'm sure my mouselag is gone . and -winxp in exe shortcut is the reason.

Wow... I still can't get my head around what that command actually does.

Wow... I still can't get my head around what that command actually does.

i don't know neither. i know it's usefull for 4GB++ config. i tried, it feel better.

we called that placebo i supposed...

3D_Performance=-80000;

localVRAM=1000;

nonlocalVRAM=1995;

sceneComplexity=150000;

Try to add this to arma2.cfg. Then modify it to read only.

Just change localVRAM to 512, or what ever amount memory your card has.

Do you realize that localVRAM and nonlocalVRAM are in bytes, so you're telling him to set them to 1MB and 2MB respectfully? Do not touch those in files, but set Video Memory in-game setting to Default and it will use all of VRAM.

For 1Gb VRAM by the way it should read localVRAM=1073741824;

9.6 drivers cured the problems for me. I recommend a clean uninstall/wipe then reinstall. Use driver cleaner pro.

I am using 1920X1080 resolution. Most settings high, AA normal, post effects Low. In battle, no lower than 22 fps and it's smooth. Otherwise, a steady 30-45 fps depending on terrain and city.

newest drivers on both 4850 and 4870 both still give massive graphics corruption for me when gfx memory is full.

Yep 4890 user here and without me using the -winxp command, i get gfx corruption everywhere :( though i am on the 8gig issue i think lol

But i did expect better performance in this game , fps drops and jumps if its random at times. 9.6 drivers here on Win7 x64 Q6600.

dear hardware wizards,

I bought a Sapphire 4890 (Toxic Edition) to be able to run ArmA II on my PC.

I had a Sapphire 1950 Pro before.

Now after playing ArmA II (or any other 3D game/sim) for about 2 minutes (sometimes less), my PC shuts down and reboots. Like pressing the reset button.

My immediate reaction was: PSU isn't up to the job. I had a 1950 Pro so upgrading to the 4890 is a huge step when it comes to power usage.

But then I have a Xilencepower 600W power supply. 600 Watts should be enough. UNLESS it can't deliver enough peek power for that little extra juice that ArmA might need to load up textures, calculate effects, etcetera.

So is it the power supply or something else?

Is it possible that Xilencepower makes shitty PSUs that can't deliver what they promise?

Could it be the motherboard not up to the job? I doubt this.

My system ran 3D Mark without shutting down.

When I dare to start the Furmark bench (not Futuremark) it shuts down instantly.

My system:

Xilencepower 600W PSU

Abit AB9 Pro board

E6600 @ 2.4 or 2.7 or 3.0 GHz (I tested the shutdown thing with these frequencies)

2x 1GB OCZ fatality 1066 MHz DDR2

Sapphire ATI HD4890 Toxic

2x WD 640GB in RAID 0

1x WD 320GB

some DVD writer

no soundcard (I use the AC'97 on board)

and yes, a mouse and a keyboard.

Edited by Pirate.

Remember mouse lag can for many be terminated by going to Windows Control Panel - Mouse - Uncheck the "Enhance Mouse Pointer" box. And also if that doesnt help fully you can also test turning off Triple Buffering on your video card. Im not sure how you do this on ATI?

Im going for a 4870 1gb or 4890 1g soon as i got good price on it. Just hope there are no probs with it and XP. I will come and ask you guys what to do when i get it. :)

Alex

keep an eye on you card temps. stock speeds on my 4870 allowed it to overheat and cause lockups. this was fixed with custom fan profiles using riva tuner

dear hardware wizards,

I bought a Sapphire 4890 (Toxic Edition) to be able to run ArmA II on my PC.

I had a Sapphire 1950 Pro before.

Now after playing ArmA II (or any other 3D game/sim) for about 2 minutes (sometimes less), my PC shuts down and reboots. Like pressing the reset button.

My immediate reaction was: PSU isn't up to the job. I had a 1950 Pro so upgrading to the 4890 is a huge step when it comes to power usage.

But then I have a Xilencepower 600W power supply. 600 Watts should be enough. UNLESS it can't deliver enough peek power for that little extra juice that ArmA might need to load up textures, calculate effects, etcetera.

So is it the power supply or something else?

Is it possible that Xilencepower makes shitty PSUs that can't deliver what they promise?

Could it be the motherboard not up to the job? I doubt this.

My system ran 3D Mark without shutting down.

When I dare to start the Furmark bench (not Futuremark) it shuts down instantly.

My system:

Xilencepower 600W PSU

Abit AB9 Pro board

E6600 @ 2.4 or 2.7 or 3.0 GHz (I tested the shutdown thing with these frequencies)

2x 1GB OCZ fatality 1066 MHz DDR2

Sapphire ATI HD4890 Toxic

2x WD 640GB in RAID 0

1x WD 320GB

some DVD writer

no soundcard (I use the AC'97 on board)

and yes, a mouse and a keyboard.

Problem solved. Got a 525W Enermax power supply and it does the job.

Can anybody comment on how a 2GB 4850X2 will run this game?

I'm considering replacing my 4870 512mb with one, I game at 1920x1200.

Problem solved. Got a 525W Enermax power supply and it does the job.

you problem wasnt that you had insufficient wattage but you PSU just sucked. you stepping down in power is proof of this :D

next time i suggest getting a corsair PSU they are god like

my 4870 was causing lots of lock ups due to overheating. It's ok now as i have used some advanced technology to solve the problem... i.e remove the side panel of my computer :p I am using the latest drivers and don't seem to be having any problems now

I also run on an 4870 1GB, but what i see now, is that when i open up my control center on my second screen, and run ARMA 2 on the other, the activity of the card NEVER reaches the 100%. its always between 40 and 80%. So what the hell, is this.. Im not getting an any higher framrate, its the same as on normal and high when i play on very high.

I don't know why it just doesn't run on 100%.. I OC my GPU to 1100 Mhz and 790 Mhz, but no improvement.

My rig:

Mobo: Asus P5Q-E

RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2

CPU: Intel core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16Ghz

GPU: XFX 4870 1GB XXX Edition

PSU: OCZ GameXstream 600Watt

Driver: 9.6

Resolution: 1920x1080

Please help me running this game smoothly, WITH some nice graphics.