Sign in to follow this  
TomNedry

PETITION to BIS: A Linux dedicated server version for ArmA2

Do you like to have a Linux version of the ArmA2 dedicated server?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to have a Linux version of the ArmA2 dedicated server?

• Yes, that's exactly what i'm hoping for
    • No, because i have a windows based server, hehe...

I thought I remember reading that the Linux server would come eventually?

Of course everyone read it. But be honest... how long is the game out now? They should really stop sitting there and ignoring the community. For me it was probably the last ArmA. I'm done with waiting for one patch after another and the eventually released Linux dedicated which may come or not at a date you won't be told...

its really frustrating....seeing our precious linux server rot without any useful server software :(

/signed

A Linux dedicated server is important for many professional server operators, who operate servers with powerful hardware and high bandwidth. These servers would handle high player counts and would have smooth gameplay. So a Linux dedicated server would benefit the players, not just the server admins.

id Software have consistently released Windows, Linux and Mac clients and servers for their games within months of each other. This is because they designed the games to be portable from the ground up. This saves money (by obviating porting) and better capitalizes on market opportunity (by making the Linux and Mac versions available simultaneously with the Windows versions). Besides, portable code tends to be cleaner and easier to maintain.

"Aside from the sales and marketing advantages reaped by your ability to support new platforms, portable code has a major technical advantage: it leads to better software. By revealing sloppy assumptions and lazy coding habits, dormant bugs are exposed much faster. Often, serious bugs are discovered very early in the process of moving to a new platform."

http://books.google.com/books?id=4VOKcEAPPO0C&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=benefits+of+portable+code&source=bl&ots=WC3qO1yz6T&sig=CnsIc4ztSL_brmfM7BqBE4Za09g&hl=en#v=onepage&q=benefits%20of%20portable%20code&f=false

I hope Bohemia Interactive invests time and money in making their code portable (at least for the server?) for ArmA 3 and beyond. It will pay off in the long run.

i guess some people still not noticed the Linux test server in public server listing ...

to avoid further posts like oneabove ...

i just repeat that obvious "it's being worked on and will be released when it's ready"

Thankyou for the clarification Dwarden :)

I don't mind waiting, just like to know its coming :D

i guess some people still not noticed the Linux test server in public server listing ...

to avoid further posts like oneabove ...

i just repeat that obvious "it's being worked on and will be released when it's ready"

Great news !

Shit I don't have time to beta-test it this week ... :-((

The problem with waiting so long is that most players have moved on to other games, mainly because of poor MP servers. When you lose the critical mass of players it ends up in a downwards spiral instead of the opposite effect. Combine this with over-bugged releases for a niche game and it's like BIS is trying everything they can to keep the fanbase at a bare minimum.

Obviously /signed.

Thanks to BIS and everyone who signed this thread and voted...

@Moderator, plz close...Thx