Sign in to follow this  
Nedarb

One thing I hate about the command system...

I miss hitting 9 then 5, which selects the whole team in Flashpoint.

Press ~ instead, like in Flashpoint. ;)

i made 1 team red and 1 team green ,,,but cant seem to select each team.

Ihavent quite figured that out either. In Arma 1 it was under the backspace menu ... listing the colors, you could then scroll to color and then send a complex command ... anyone know how this is now done in 2?

Basically how do you select a color of team to then go on and command them fully?

Hah, I can't believe I missed that for this long. Thanks!

The commanding mode (default space) is the fastest way to utilize teams.

Spacebar hold

Mousewheel to team Blue

Middle click to select

Give order

Spacebar release

I've been struggling with that as well! Only "keyboard way" I found to select a colored team is to press SHIFT-Fx and the colored team the unit is in will be selected.

However this casues problems when trying to get VAC (and other voice recognition programs) working since some of the units will (most likely) get killed during combat and then VAC will not be able to select the specific colored team.

Would really like to see separate keys to directly select colored teams instead of current implementation ( maybe it's already possible somehow and I'm just being slow??? ).

One suggestion that would be better...

SHIFT-F1 = Always select Red team

SHIFT-F2 = Always select Green team

SHIFT-F3 = Always select Blue team

SHIFT-F4 = Always select Yellow team

SHIFT-F5 = Always select White team

or if that breaks other things maybe...

CTRL-F1 = Always select Red team

CTRL-F2 = Always select Green team

CTRL-F3 = Always select Blue team

CTRL-F4 = Always select Yellow team

CTRL-F5 = Always select White team

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

You can also press 9 Team> 1 Green, 2 Red, 3 Blue, 4 Yellow, 5 White.

You know whats annoying? I haven't gone into the thread much but I HATE this "Quick Command" menu. I want it REMOVED. It doesn't make it easier, it makes it insane.

You want a unit (who is a driver in a truck) to move, you select the unit with F2 and click that location right?... NO!, that tells him to Disembark! HUH?! Ohh its a "dynamic" order system now, of course... aka CRAP. You have to carefully scroll your mouse down to "Move there".

What happens when you are controlling 10 AI? HUH? You want me to micromanage 10 individual AI with this little new "method"? So instead of pressing "F3, left click to move" for each unit, you want us to press "F3, use mouse to scroll down, find the option and read the command 'Move to', press middle mouse button, then start over again for 9 more units?!?!?!" HA! Not happening, sorry.. ARGH.. I hate it! Someone please, just throw it away! An option, a mod, a script Argh! Anything!

And another thing, if you click on a town all the way across the map, if theres a damn vehicle within 100 meters of the location (That you cannot see!), the order is given to automatically GET INTO the vehicle, NO I did not give that order.. oh well, (sarcasm) but technically I did but because its "dynamic" its automatically selected... (/sarcasm) I have to manually AGAIN scroll down for each movement to "Move to"... argh that is so annoying!

I control each of my AI's movements so they are always in the right position. When I take a town in a game like Warfare or any mission for that matter, they are always up against the sides of the building, or against trees or bushes, which require fine tuning each AI's individual movements. Instead of taking 5 seconds, it now takes 30+ seconds. It's so much more clunky and annoying I can't begin to express how much I hate it.

/rant.

Controlling AI used to be almost fun to some extent. With Arma2, this once fast and fluent process is now clunky, slow, and a painfully retarded process that really needs to be addressed.

Edited by Victor

Why are you not using the complex menu?

I must be the only one to like the new system better (well most of the time...)

I've been struggling with that as well! Only "keyboard way" I found to select a colored team is to press SHIFT-Fx and the colored team the unit is in will be selected.

However this casues problems when trying to get VAC (and other voice recognition programs) working since some of the units will (most likely) get killed during combat and then VAC will not be able to select the specific colored team.

/KC

I am fairly new to VAC and I still have to create a profile. In preparation of this I am systematically listing all commands which can possibly be issued as voice commands. There are a few things I don't fully understand so this list is not complete, but it already consists of roughly 300 separate commands.

I have also thought about fireteam selection. I suggest following approach:

We know that

SHIFT + F2 calls the fireteam F2 is in (Voice: "Fireteam of soldier 2", or "Team of unit 2")

SHIFT + F3 calls the fireteam F3 is in (Voice: "Fireteam of soldier 3", or "Team of unit 3")

and so on.

You need as many voice commands as you have individual AI-soldiers under your command. (I think the maximum number is 22, but I am not sure.) Then you are able to adress each of them individually and with him the fireteam he is a member of. If one member of a fireteam dies, simply call another one.

Does this help you a bit?

Why are you not using the complex menu?

That is something I tried. I was able to assign fireteams but I could not order them around using the keystrokes [9], [9], [1] to select Fireteam Red, [9], [9], [2] to select Fireteam Green. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Alpha-Kilo

You know whats annoying? I haven't gone into the thread much but I HATE this "Quick Command" menu. I want it REMOVED. It doesn't make it easier, it makes it insane.

You want a unit (who is a driver in a truck) to move, you select the unit with F2 and click that location right?... NO!, that tells him to Disembark! HUH?! Ohh its a "dynamic" order system now, of course... aka CRAP. You have to carefully scroll your mouse down to "Move there".

Unless you click on an enemy, he'll move, and not disembark. At least for me.

And in response to first post:

Huh? It takes no time to select units using the F-keys. I've never even noticed that I've not looked at the screen. Probably because I'm always looking.

Maybe a future patch could give the option to use either the ARMA1 menues or ARMA2, i preferd the old system, cos i often cant remember witch key im pressing.

You can also press 9 Team> 1 Green, 2 Red, 3 Blue, 4 Yellow, 5 White.

Yes, you can select them but how do you issue for example an "Move There" order for them after you selected red team via 9-9-1?

You need as many voice commands as you have individual AI-soldiers under your command. (I think the maximum number is 22, but I am not sure.) Then you are able to adress each of them individually and with him the fireteam he is a member of. If one member of a fireteam dies, simply call another one.

Does this help you a bit?

Sorry but I'm not following you here, care to elaborate?

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Yes, you can select them but how do you issue for example an "Move There" order for them after you selected red team via 9-9-1?

Once you select them with the 9-1 (not 9-9-1 that would assign I think), those troops in group "Red" should be selected and you can order them as if you had pressed all their F-key numbers individually.

Menu

I think the new context sensitive menu is a step in the right direction, but I also think ALOT could have been done to improve it. The ability to bind buttons to "macros" or a certain step of orders would have been god given.

Example: Bind Shift-G to "All, Mode, Danger" or similar.

The new context sensitive menu fails because it demands the use of the mousewheel. While intuitive its not fast enough for me. I prefer the speed of the keyboard; particularly when I'm giving out a series of commands. Also a mousewheel isn't particularly accurate and in a heated firefight its easy to miss-judge an press the wrong button.

Small Tweaks

• I think the command menu should NOT be sticky. (give a command and it disapears)
  • Double-tapping Fxx should select the TEAM that soldier is a part of.
  • More context sensitive stuff. If I point a low-ammo rifleman at a dead soldier; I want him to loot that soldier.
  • I prefer "TARGET" instead of "ATTACK" (like a drunk headless chicken with a deathwish) as a default when using context menu.
  • Better and more abilities to set up teams. When I command 12 soldiers. I don't REALLY need to control each individual. The fireteam leaders would do.

Three-Button approach

Also see: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75689

Shameless plug.

-K

Menu

[*]I prefer "TARGET" instead of "ATTACK" (like a drunk headless chicken with a deathwish) as a default when using context menu.

I think if you want TARGET you can right click to TARGET. LMB is for ENGAGE/ATTACK. Been like that in ARMA1, I suppose it's still the same in ARMA2

Edited by Mr_Centipede

It is not. Mouse2 is now default for 'Back' I'm not sure what to bind to get it back to the way it was.

On the attack your team-mates are generally useless. They do not heed incoming fire, nor the location of rest of the squad.

-K

Sorry but I'm not following you here, care to elaborate? /KC

From the description of your problem (that VAC does not recognize your fireteam after one of its members has died) I assumed you had programmed VAC with just one AI to call his fireteam - maybe the fireteam leader. I simply suggested to program VAC with all members of a fireteam.

Let's assume F2 and F3 are on fireteam Red. You don't have to rely on of the voice command which represents SHIFT+F2 to call Red, you can also use SHIFT+F3.

And when programming VAC you should not use the voice command SHIFT+F2 "Team Red!", SHIFT+F3 "Team Red!" because you don't know if F2 and F3 will always be in Team Red. You might want to reassign them later. Saying "Team of F2", "Team of F3!" or something similar gives you more flexibility. It is standardized a bit for simplicity, but it is still user friendly because you see the colour of the fireteam in the soldier icons on your screen.

Is this better now or have I misunderstood your question completely?

Edited by Alpha-Kilo

Of course it would be great to have the option to use the old system, so that players who prefer the current system aren't forced to change it.

i second that , arma2 is a step BACKWARDS.

i used to give ALL orders with space and mouse.

now i have to play piano on my keyboard to simple order 2 man to do what i want.

its annoying, i want the old system back

I think the command menu should NOT be sticky. (give a command and it disapears)

I found out this is already working, do not hit the space bar quickly, press and hold, then command, then let go. Hit space quickly causes it to then toggle on/off.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

(ref this piflus profile thread : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76042 Posted here for relevance really).

Hi,

I actually use this a lot now and works wonders with the odd command system to assign colors and get things moving swiftly.

I added some more to your profile hope you don't mind me sharing this ..

http://www.zshare.net/download/62127997a62ccdb7/#

"Menu" - Brings up the backspace menu (TIP: If you want the 1-9 keys to go via mouse say "Menu - Team" - then you have the backspace 1-9 menus active to use it that way.) << this was the assignment bug I was referring to, using voice control fixes it by simply saying 2 words.

"Compass" - Shows compass for 3 second.

"Time" - Shows the watch for 2 seconds.

"One" -Didn't seem to be soldier selection in you profile for "one" especially for command view so added that.

"Map" - Brings up the map (say again to exit map).

"Jump" - Triggers the step over animation.

"Command" - Switches to High command control mode (CTRL + SPACE) - repeat to switch back.

"For" = soldier selection 4 .. seems that "Four" for me didn't get recognised too well.

Thanks for sharing, got this working a treat in Arma2 now, and the back key assignment issue is now history so I can use voice commands to get passed the annoying keyboard fiddling that comes with Arma2's commanding.

PS download Pilflus here :

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/PiLfIuS-Download-77969.html

Edited by mrcash2009

It's too easy to MEAN to press and hold but just press once and then you must press it again to get rid of that menu. Much easier to not have it toggled permanently on until pressed.

Gonna try this command system tonight.

Once you select them with the 9-1 (not 9-9-1 that would assign I think), those troops in group "Red" should be selected and you can order them as if you had pressed all their F-key numbers individually.

Sorry, but thats where it fails!? At least it doesn't work for me using 1.02.58134. Problems with my setup, bug or maybe an oversight??

Edit: Just double checked and I have to press 9-9-1 to select the red team and they do get selected but I can not find a way to issue a "Move there" order (for example).

If you have a red on #2, instead of F2 to select only him, you can Shift+F2 to select all reads.

Thanks, but if you read the other posts I already knew that.

And when programming VAC you should not use the voice command SHIFT+F2 "Team Red!", SHIFT+F3 "Team Red!" because you don't know if F2 and F3 will always be in Team Red. You might want to reassign them later.

Thats exactly my point! I miss a keyboard way (i.e not using mouse wheel etc) to select colored teams and then issue available orders to that team. As you said it's not a good solution to rely SHIFT-Fx since you may wan't to reassign specific team members during battle.

This was possible in ArmA I after a later patch (1.12 IIRC) but I can't seem to get the same functionality in ArmA II.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat