Sign in to follow this  
Nedarb

One thing I hate about the command system...

The command system in Arma 2 is essentially the exact same as the system from Arma 1, except for one obvious (and very unnecessary) change.

In Arma 2, you must use the F1, F2, F3, etc. keys to select a squad member(s), and then you must use the number keys from 1 - 9 to issue which set of orders.

Put your middle finger on the W key and try to stretch your pointer finger all the way to the F12 key or the 9 key without moving your middle finger. It's pretty much next to impossible to do.

Basically, this system forces you to take your hand off the keyboard and take your eyes off the screen AND stop what you're doing just to issue an order.

As opposed to the old system where you simply press the spacebar, use the mouse wheel to select exactly which unit(s) you want, then click the mouse wheel again and select the order, all without having to take your eyes off the screen or your hands off the keyboard.

Arma 1 command system = faster and more efficient, don't need to drop what you're doing to issue a simple command.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

EDIT: Of course it would be great to have the option to use the old system, so that players who prefer the current system aren't forced to change it.

Edited by Nedarb

hein?? did you try to remap the keys to a configuration you feel more confortable? This was the first thing I did.

May I suggest a x10 better method? Voice recognition!

Check out VAC. When set up properly you won't go back using your fingers commanding your AI troops anymore. I've used VAC in ArmA I (and other sims) with great success for quite some time and I will make an ArmA II template when time permits...

http://www.dwvac.com/index.html

PS: VAC is shareware, there are freeware alternatives (search for Pilfius and Shoot!) but VAC is one of my better investments along with OFP/ArmA/ArmA II but YMMW :)

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Instead of before in Arma 1 where you simply hold space, select specifically which squad members using the mouse scroll, and then selecting an order, all WITHOUT having to take your hand off the keyboard.

In Arma 1 you could quickly and efficiently give out orders WITHOUT having to stop what you're doing and take both your eyes off the screen and your hand off the keyboard.

Why did they change it?

I agree

hein?? did you try to remap the keys to a configuration you feel more confortable? This was the first thing I did.

When I *attempt* to re-remap the controls, I just end up messing everything up. Very frustrating.

Does anyone know exactly which controls I would have to map to which to get the same command system from Arma 1?

If there's no possible way, I think I may be having second thoughts about buying the game (yes, this is a big deal to me).

May I suggest a x10 better method? Voice recognition!

Check out VAC. When set up properly you won't go back using your fingers commanding your AI troops anymore. I've used VAC in ArmA I (and other sims) with great success for quite some time and I will make an ArmA II template when time permits...

http://www.dwvac.com/index.html

PS: VAC is shareware, there are freeware alternatives (search for Pilfius and Shoot!) but VAC is one of my better investments along with OFP/ArmA/ArmA II but YMMW :)

/KC

This I gotta check out, sounds too good to be true. ;)

Of course in the perfect gaming world, there wouldnt be any need

of configuration, this would already be in the game.

I put it under mouse button, basically its "back" that is the key (backspace) that brings the menu up to use menu's instead of 1-9 keys. I have it under mouse button in Arma1 so I can do it all not taking hand off mouse.

But ... I reported a bug in Arma2, basically if I assign "back" (backspace) to that same mouse button I have in Arma1 it wont bring the menu up at all. Also as a result I cannot exit both the AUV menu and also the construction menu (it simply wont repond) as they both use backspace/back also. So I undo setting it and now its back to backspace only, all work fine and low and behold I have to do the same manual keys again.

Hope they fix it.

Heres voice recognition with arma 1 BTW .. looks like a route im about to take in Arma2.

Found a profile for arma with the VAC voice recognition software BTW (off topic to a point)

http://www.tacticalsites.com/~buccaneer/Uploads/VAC/VACArmA.rar

Edited by mrcash2009

This I gotta check out, sounds too good to be true. ;)

Actually it's not and I'm quite amazed how well it works even with my broken English after just 15-20 min training the speech recognition engine! It uses Microsofts SR engine and it is really good.

Of course in the perfect gaming world, there wouldnt be any need

of configuration, this would already be in the game.

Someday maybe but until then a third party app. is OK with me :)

/KC

I put it under mouse button, basically its "back" that is the key (backspace) that brings the menu up to use menu's instead of 1-9 keys. I have it under mouse button in Arma1 so I can do it all not taking hand off mouse.

Thanks, so it is possible to use the old command menu.

But, the command menu where you select your units doesn't seem to be there.

I'll try to explain:

There's two command menus:

The first one that should come up is the one where you highlight your units, but it doesn't appear to be there.

The one that does come up is the "Order" menu, which comes second.

The second command menu looks like this:

1. Move

2. Target

3. Engage

4. Mount

5. Status

6. Action

7. Combat Mode

8. Formation

9. Team

0. Reply

The commands highlighted in green are the only commands that I can choose; the rest are greyed out.

This means that I obviously need to have a unit selected to use the grayed-out commands, but if I wanted to select a unit I would still have to use the number keys instead of being able to use the mouse scroll wheel.

Is there another similar menu that will let you choose units using the mouse scroll wheel?

Sorry if I'm not making any sense; I'll try to make it more clear if no one understands.

EDIT: And I'll definitely take a look at that voice recognition program.

But ... I reported a bug in Arma2, basically if I assign "back" (backspace) to that same mouse button I have in Arma1 it wont bring the menu up at all. Also as a result I cannot exit both the AUV menu and also the construction menu (it simply wont repond) as they both use backspace/back also. So I undo setting it and now its back to backspace only, all work fine and low and behold I have to do the same manual keys again.

I was wondering why it wasn't working whenever I tried to map it to a different key. Definitely hope they fix it.

Edited by Nedarb

What you describe is basicly the "back" key (backspace menu) mate.

In arma 1 it would auto select all team members but in Arma2 it doesnt select any, so now you have to backspace (then select all with the " ` " Key (left of number 1 on the keybaord not numpad). Also in Arma2 hitting it once may only select members not doing something separate so you have to hit it twice in order to make sure all are selected ...

So it goes

backspace - " ` " + " ` "... then you will have all commands open to you for the 1-9 options for all members,

1. Move

2. Target

3. Engage

4. Mount

5. Status

6. Action

7. Combat Mode

8. Formation

9. Team

0. Reply

As I say the "backspace" key (in keys mapping called "back") I have assigned to mouse button in arma1, but the bug in Arma 2 = it wont open at all unless its only set to backspace.

In Arma 1 I simply selected my mouse button this auto highlighted all team members and all options were available to me right away in that menu, all using the mouse/mouse wheel to navigate, never taking eye off screen, never taking hand off the mouse ... not so simple in Arma 2 which is a shame.

BTW in the manual (505 DVD box copy here) on page 0.8 / 0.9 it refers to that key as "Complex Command Menu".

Edited by mrcash2009

I prefer the old system as well. almost 10 years of the same thing ..then CHANGE..grrrrrr

Actually it's not and I'm quite amazed how well it works even with my broken English after just 15-20 min training the speech recognition engine! It uses Microsofts SR engine and it is really good.

Someday maybe but until then a third party app. is OK with me :)

/KC

KeyCat

Thank you so much for your tip

I have downloaded VAC but i'm in troubles creating a good profile. Can you post your profile somewhere?

Cheers

Umm....in my game space brings up the command menu, then you scroll to what you want to order your men to do with the middle mouse button and select it.

My only problem is finding some way to tell my men to crouch/prone and go slow Trying to be all stealthy and they just run around everywhere.

There's actually three menus that vary drastically and it's confusing as hell. :)

There's Spacebar Command menu, which can change it's values based on what's selected and also by holding down Alt.

There's the F key menu, brought up by pressing a specific F key for whatever member.

Then there's the Complex Command menu, which can change it's values based on what's targeted, completely forgetting what you had targeted upon entering the menu.

Meaning, to tell everyone to Danger and Stay crouched you have to hit:

Backspace, `, Combat Mode, Danger, Backspace again, ` again, Stay Crouched.

I'd much rather just do: `, backspace, stay crouched, combat, danger.

The control menus are just not intuitive anymore, especially since they've changed so much since ArmA. Though I'm confident upcoming patches will fix these things, or someone will come out with a mod for it.

KeyCat

I have downloaded VAC but i'm in troubles creating a good profile. Can you post your profile somewhere?

Cheers

See my post a page back.

Umm....in my game space brings up the command menu, then you scroll to what you want to order your men to do with the middle mouse button and select it.

My only problem is finding some way to tell my men to crouch/prone and go slow Trying to be all stealthy and they just run around everywhere.

I think your missing the point of this thread. We know that, but you also are stating the same in the next sentence which is "complex commanding" , very specific things under the mouse cannot be done and need the 1-9 key menus at the moment.

Edited by mrcash2009

The context sensitive menu is "interesting" but I really liked the old system because you could create several teams and command them simply by holding space down and mouse-wheeling to select the teams before clicking to command a move/attack/enter etc. Much faster, now I don't even use teams, it takes something like 6 actions just to issue a move order using them, I have to use the F keys ALL the time.

It's much slower and works about half as well. Though I do like having the extra "level", wish they'd replace the context sensitive with the old unit/team select thing. Or if you were able to "group" units onto a single unit card that would be awesome. Not sure how it'd work though.

But yeah, bring the old unit/team menu back when you press the space bar.

Yes, for someone that can't even remap a feature that's configurable, this is certainly one that's worthy of your 'hatred'... ArmA did have an easier 'out of the box' setup but there are nicer ways to whine then going all hatey...

:j:

Edited by Hoak

ehm, why do you want to hold down the F12 key? You know clicking it briefly keeps it open holding it down makes it temporary, don't you?

My only little gripe with the new command system is that I DON'T WANT it to be toggled ! I just want it that when I press and hold I give orders and release it is removed.

However, if I press and release I have to press again to remove it ...... told ya it was a LITTLE gripe :)

My only little gripe with the new command system is that I DON'T WANT it to be toggled ! I just want it that when I press and hold I give orders and release it is removed.

However, if I press and release I have to press again to remove it ...... told ya it was a LITTLE gripe :)

I do agree with this too, I would like to see a toggle on/off option. In most games that use this approach its not toggled, that would be nice to have.

@Hoak ... not sure reading this thread where much "hate" is coming from, think you might be taking that a little too far as a description.

KeyCat

Cheers

Since BIS made some changes to the command keys I haven't yet ported my ArmA I VAC profile to ArmA II but someday, if someone beats me to it please share...

As mrcash2009 pointed out above, grab some of the examples profiles on their website and use them as a starting template and go from there.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

I do agree with this too, I would like to see a toggle on/off option. In most games that use this approach its not toggled, that would be nice to have.

@Hoak ... not sure reading this thread where much "hate" is coming from, think you might be taking that a little too far as a description.

I made a mistake here ... basicly this is implemented.

If you press space and hold for a short time and let go it will work. If you quickly press space it will keep it up IE / Toggle. Stupid I didn't realise this until today. What a "plonka".

i made 1 team red and 1 team green ,,,but cant seem to select each team.

I miss hitting 9 then 5, which selects the whole team in Flashpoint.