Sign in to follow this  
Alex72

Sound engine - things in need of attention

@-=seany=-:

Those are related to content, not engine.

Can you explain?

Surely they are all things that need to be prioritised and assigned to some one to be fixed? If that's the case I'd give this a very low priority, or even wait for Arma3. Or are you saying that there are different teams who work on content bugs and engine bugs? If that's the case then no prob.

I would expect texture artists, modelers, and world builders not to be involved in the programming things, yes. So it feels natural to me that content bugs and engine work end up on (at least) two different priority lists. Was referring to your "before". But I agree, getting usable weapons stations on the UH-1Y took very long time... Maybe content creators gets assigned to DLC stuff? Dunno...

I think sound is fine. There are many, many more annoying errors (visual/ model/ config) that could use fixing before anything gets done with the sound.

IMO sound is more important than everything. They are what immerse you in a game - not graphics. Graphics is secondary.

Some of the sounds are complete ASS. I dont even know what the sound of an rocket flying by is supposed to be, its like some 8bit nintendo noise, I mean WTF?!?! Or the MP5 firing sound (and G36/XM8 for that matter). Ignoring the fact that its as effective as throwing rocks at the enemy, it sounds like a bloody popcorn machine. It is completely lacking the sharpness of a firearm.

Compared to The Battlefield series Arma 2 has an incredibly flat and stale sound even though the engine supporting it is actually quite good (like delayed sounds and such). Not to mention alot of the poor sound is not because of the sound itself, its because of the AI and the netcode doing a crappy job. Many times a machinegun will just be single fire with a second between shots, rather than bursts.

Correction: compared to the Battlefield: Bad Company spin-off series. Battlefield 2's sounds were worse than ARMA 2's in my opinion.

I have to admit, that weak sound in this game is a big turnoff for me.

Correction: compared to the Battlefield: Bad Company spin-off series. Battlefield 2's sounds were worse than ARMA 2's in my opinion.

Seeing as Bad Company 2 is pretty much Battlefield 3 on the PC and coming Battlefield 3 is more Bad Company 2.5 than Battlefield 2, I count it as the Battlefield series. Or something.

These have been since years mate. Like sounds disapearing. Really hope it gets fixed but...
Hi Alex, remember we discussed in an old thread about the FPS gun that doesn't pan when firing as your head turns ? :) Still the same :)

I think this was when you were a mear mortal before you got your shiny badge and BIS knuckle dusters :p

Edited by mrcash2009