Sign in to follow this  
chaos1986

ARMA 2 - Seriously bad graphics for a 2009 game

His rig isn't set up for gaming and the only games that gave him problems were R6V2 and GRAW2.

just incase he didn't get round to the fix (I reistalled GRAW2 other night when the CTD's were peeing me off lol) tell him to disable physx and on the ingame physx setting set it to 'normal' :)

Edited by wooly-back-jack

Im kinda curious what percentage play this game fine. I can tell you that I have 9 friends that play this game and gave no issues but none of them go on these forums at all. Kinda makes you curious how many people out there run arma 2 fine or how many have problems but gave up without posting on the forums.

True...every week during multiplayer co-op we get 15-25 guys that play for 4 or 5 hours straight flawlessly...everyone has a working game afaik; but none of them post here. You can even look at the reviews...most are 70-80% which I'm sure wouldn't be so high if the game was as bad as people on here make it out to be

Yes there are bugs; but I (and many others) haven't found any game-breakers (yet ;) )

Edited by No Use For A Name

And they have every right to, because the average gaming consumer these days is a PS3/360 owner.

PC games for PC owners on the other hand operate in very different circles, PC games = greater possibilities, greater complexities, greater modding ability but that all comes at a price, and that price is a lack of simplicity and some basic PC understanding required.

Not in the 90's. Games worked out of the box in the 90's. And in the early 00's.

Right back at ya buddy.:cc:

Just curious though, is your system store bought, build it yourself or have someone build it to your specs?

QUOTE]

I build my own systems. I run them through RAM, HDD, CPU and Video test before ever putting them into production. In all honesty what difference does that make? If my system meets or exceeds requirements there should not be a problem to play the campaign.

There is a long line of people with same performance issues. Why dont you read a little before justifying a game that A LOT of the community is having problems with. If its running great for you than great! Go PLAY THE GAME and stop wasting your time here.

Not in the 90's. Games worked out of the box in the 90's. And in the early 00's.

Not the more complex simulations. People had to do things like edit config.sys and stuff like that in the early 90s. All that under dos, with not much in the way of an internet to find support, yet people manged.

How all you get is the sound of a bunch of crybabies, upset because they have to wait few weeks for a patch.

Im kinda curious what percentage play this game fine. I can tell you that I have 9 friends that play this game and gave no issues but none of them go on these forums at all. Kinda makes you curious how many people out there run arma 2 fine or how many have problems but gave up without posting on the forums.

Out of the sixteen people in my group, only two had any issue.

1) one is running a sub-spec rig (and knew it wasn't going to run well)

2) the other ran into problems with a SP3 update that hosed A1 from being able to launch, and A2 suffers the same fate (so he just plays on his laptop)

*I'm certain that #2 could resolve everything with a fresh install, but he lacks the time to address it

Not the more complex simulations. People had to do things like edit config.sys and stuff like that in the early 90s. All that under dos, with not much in the way of an internet to find support, yet people manged.

How all you get is the sound of a bunch of crybabies, upset because they have to wait few weeks for a patch.

I'm not upset because I bought this game a month ago and can't wait. I will wait, but I'm sure I sadly won't fully come back in this game.

What is your job ? Do you sell broken things ? This is the new trend in technologics.

What about a restaurant that would sell rotten things or half finished dishes "yeah, french fries comes after the dessert, but it's before the starters so you can't blame us, you had everything" ? Or a truck driver that would make car accidents just to be faster ?

Video Games is the only market that permit these things ? I want to work fast me too !

Personally, I'm a software dev for insurance compagny. I should do the same, testing things is boring after all.

I know, I know, customers would eventually owns millions of euros to some random insurances compagny, or the opposite, but hey, that's life guys. A lot of them would have no problems so "why do you rant crybabies" ?

Maybe I come from dark ages or i'm some kind of dumb naïve guy or else but quality > quantity imho. I don't understand why BI released this thing one month ago.

In my gamer experience (from Supermario in the 80's to now) it's the second most buggy game at release I ever played (1st was Soldner Secret Wars and the release was a shame).

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Out of the sixteen people in my group, only two had any issue.

1) one is running a sub-spec rig (and knew it wasn't going to run well)

2) the other ran into problems with a SP3 update that hosed A1 from being able to launch, and A2 suffers the same fate (so he just plays on his laptop)

*I'm certain that #2 could resolve everything with a fresh install, but he lacks the time to address it

I wish I could apply in a group, lol.

Edited by Blueshift

Exactly, and even the most mainstream, uncomplex PC game could be an absolutely chore to get running because of the way that soundcards used to work within the OS, I had a "Soundblaster Live Value!" years ago and the drivers for it were terrible, getting it to run properly in games was a right chore, but of course once I did get it working it was a really nice soundcard :)

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

I don't understand why BI released this thing one month ago.

BIS didn't release this thing one month ago.

BIS didn't release this thing one month ago.

You told too much or not enough.

Anyway, to me, and i'm very sorry to say that because of all the work involved in it, it's still a thing.

I will call it a game when I could stop to play it by my own, and more than 12 min 53 sec +/- 12 min 02 sec -edit- and stop reading thread here and on 100% of them say "oh I have this bug too !"

It's sad (for me).

Edited by Blueshift

Eh? I'm not referring to you calling it a thing, I don't care what you call it, call it Emma if that's what you prefer ;)

so "why do you rant crybabies" ?
Honestly, because every time a PC game comes out, every forum is filled with people complaining about how bugged, how broken or simply what a POS such-and-such a game is. We see this year after year after year.

The rants might have some validity if the same phenomenon didn't occur in every forum for every new PC game. Because it does, you begin to understand that this is how PC games work and expending energy whining and complaining is a complete waste.

Personally, I'm a software dev for insurance compagny.
And I've been a software dev in one form or another for 22 years. So I'm sure we've both had some access and insight into the code behind Arma and have seen that it's orders of magnitude more complex than most any software developer will ever see in his/her career. And Arma 1/2 being a sim that tries to include so many aspects of military combat is far more complex than most FPSes.

Once you accept the fact that this is how PC games work, you can be at peace with it. Ranting accomplishes nothing.

Yea I had the same problem in Win 7 RC (64 bit) with 8 G RAM
Was that Arma or Arma 2? I ran Arma in Win 7 with 8GB of RAM and it ran flawlessly. Edited by DesertJedi

Honestly, because every time a PC game comes out, every forum is filled with people complaining about how bugged, how broken or simply what a POS such-and-such a game is. We see this year after year after year.

The rants might have some validity if the same phenomenon didn't occur in every forum for every new PC game. Because it does, you begin to understand that this is how PC games work and expending energy whining and complaining is a complete waste.

And I've been a programmer/analyst for 22 years. So I'm sure we've both had some access and insight into the code behind Arma and have seen that it's orders of magnitude more complex than most any software developer will ever see in his/her career. And Arma 1/2 being a sim that tries to include so many aspects of military combat is far more complex than most FPSes.

Once you accept the fact that this is how PC games work, you can be at peace with it. Ranting accomplishes nothing.

My special insight concludes that I can't do anything to fix the "thing" :) (and now it threathens me lol)

I told you "2nd most broken game in my gamer experience" and playing v.games since Mario, it's not a joke just for the purpose of it.

It's the truth in my experience. It includes your config.sys games (such a big deal by the way).

In the great years of 2009, now you can't reinstall games all the way you want on top of that. You've got 3 lives. Then game over.

In 90's, had a problem ? Reinstall ! Time wasted ? Don't care i'm a child !

I'm not sure I lost days of (insert big quotes heres) "work" in the 90's. Arma2 scores, more or less, 15 hours here. Multiply it by the bunch of crybabies like you told, and you have quite a raisonable amount of free man.hour-1.

Imo, when games were made by technogeeks they would work. If something was broken you could try. Today games are made by artists and "every single forum is filled with whines" like you said.

Well...

Edited by Blueshift

It's the truth in my experience. It includes your config.sys games (such a big deal by the way).

Nor is it any big problem today to try different setting, update some drivers and wait a few weeks for a patch.

The world get whinnier by the day.

It's so funny when people with acceptable problems (and the acceptable barrier is really low for me : no bsod, ctd if I can play 1 hour, the very same barrier as in the 90's) say the other part of the world is whinners.

You're posting in a special place of the forums where people have technical problems you know. You guessed it's full of "whinners", so smart of you.

Let's whine then : "please, let me see AI bugs"

Edited by Blueshift

And I've been a software dev in one form or another for 22 years. So I'm sure we've both had some access and insight into the code behind Arma and have seen that it's orders of magnitude more complex than most any software developer will ever see in his/her career. And Arma 1/2 being a sim that tries to include so many aspects of military combat is far more complex than most FPSes.

Was that Arma or Arma 2? I ran Arma in Win 7 with 8GB of RAM and it ran flawlessly.

What is wrong with your perception? Arma 2 is the least optimised game I have ever played on PC (10 years of PC-gaming, always up-to-date with the latest hardware and software). You mentioning this is with every other PC-game is just plain stupidity. Most PC-games have bugs, because complex software can't be bug-free, but no other game has as many bugs as Arma 2. The framerate issues people are having are not normal and not only for people posting their issues on this forum, but for about everyone who has played this game.

BIS is lucky that in Europe there are no warranty laws for software (although, some European politicians want to create warranty laws for software, so maybe one day...). If there were warranty laws, BIS would have been bankrupt because of all the refunds people would ask for Arma 2.

What is wrong with your perception? Arma 2 is the least optimised game I have ever played on PC (10 years of PC-gaming, always up-to-date with the latest hardware and software). You mentioning this is with every other PC-game is just plain stupidity. Most PC-games have bugs, because complex software can't be bug-free, but no other game has as many bugs as Arma 2. The framerate issues people are having are not normal and not only for people posting their issues on this forum, but for about everyone who has played this game.

BIS is lucky that in Europe there are no warranty laws for software (although, some European politicians want to create warranty laws for software, so maybe one day...). If there were warranty laws, BIS would have been bankrupt because of all the refunds people would ask for Arma 2.

Utter, utter rubbish.

Why dont you all smoke some hash laugh this off.

This isnt the first game with issues and it sure wont be the last.

Since you guys are flexing your gaming experience. I've been gaming since I got my atari 2600 in 1986. I was 7 years old. First video game I've ever had. It was like sliced bread, and I was hooked since. I've had 3 explode ( I mean go BOOM), 6 games simply stop working, and some gave garbage screens. Point being, games first time out are always plagued with issues, since the dawn of gaming. ITs very common for every game company to release a game and fix the issues later, some companies close up shop never to be heard from again. (Falcon 4.0 anyone?)

You guys dont need to beat the crap out of yourself over it. The games only been out a month, ease up boys.

Not trying to be a smartass, just seriously take a chill pill guys.

Edited by rogue221

Why dont you all smoke some hash laugh this off.

THis isnt the first game with issues and it sure wont be the last.

I've been gaming since I got my atari 2600 in 1986. I've had 3 explode, 6 games simply stop working, and some gave garbage screens. So shitty games first time out are always plagued with issues, since the dawn of gaming.

You guys dont need to beat the crap out of yourself over it. The games only been out a month, ease up boys.

Shhhhh, my secret plan... I'm making me ennemies here, so a lot of people will want to kill me online when I could play so I'll never play alone... :D

"Where are hte demo realase date ?" muahaha :o :yay:

I think I hurt myself first :)

LOL! Thats more like it.

For the record Chaos probly didnt realize there was a fixp before he made his post. He hasnt replied since, and is probly stroking his wood at how wonderful it really looks.

:P

Edited by rogue221

I actually spotted something troubleshootable (maybe) in the last few posts.

Droezelke : ignoring all the rant of this post and the others, I noticed that you said something about the fps issue affecting everyone who plays the game (may have been a misunderstanding on my part), just noting that I don't suffer from the issue and everyone I play with doesn't suffer from it so you should be able to find a way to fix it (theoretically) but if it's a hardware compatibility issue and changing drivers doesn't fix it then let's hope the patch does something for it.

I actually spotted something troubleshootable (maybe) in the last few posts.

Droezelke : ignoring all the rant of this post and the others, I noticed that you said something about the fps issue affecting everyone who plays the game (may have been a misunderstanding on my part), just noting that I don't suffer from the issue and everyone I play with doesn't suffer from it so you should be able to find a way to fix it (theoretically) but if it's a hardware compatibility issue and changing drivers doesn't fix it then let's hope the patch does something for it.

First of all: I'm talking about the single player campaign. The online part runs smooth. About the hardware: Intel quad core q9550 @ 3.4GHz, 4 Gb DDR2, GTX295 graphics card. I can play every game (except Crysis) at + 60 fps, all maxed out at 1080p resolution. So I have enough hardware power. I tried to run the game on 3 OS: XP, Vista 32 bit, Win 7 64 bit. Only with XP and a lot of config tweaks and driver adjustment settings, I can play the game on normal settings with +30 fps. Tried many drivers.

If anyone says it's my hardware that causes the troubles, it's just ignorance on his part.

To make a comparison: when Vista was released, about everyone was having troubles with it. It had nothing to do with hardware, but software issues. Everyone knew this, and Vista was burnt to the ground by PC-gamers. Nobody said then: stop whining, this is normal. But for some strange reason, some people at the BIS forums are saying that this is normal for PC-games (and in this case for Arma 2).

Vista needed about a year of updates to run pretty much stable. Now Win 7 is coming ((which is just an updated Vista), and the release candidate is running very well. Microsoft learned from their mistakes, but Vista is a blemish on their part.

The first Arma was as bug ridden as Arma 2. As it's an update engine in Arma 2, so we as consumers should expect that the game runs stable if BIS learned from their mistakes. But again, they didn't. Arma 1 needed up until patch 1.14 to be stable (18 months). Will this be the same for Arma 2? Let's hope not.

Call it rubbish what I'm saying, I don't care. But I believe I'm not blinded because of being a fan of Arma.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming your hardware, I'm blaming an incompatability between your hardware and Arma 2 (or at least the drivers and Arma 2), so that problem should hopefully be fixed by either your hardware manufacturers or by BIS in an upcoming patch.

Just checking, does lowering the view distance and video memory increase the FPS at all (even if only slight)?

For reference, I'm running :

9800 GT

E7300 @ 3.5Ghz

4GB Ram

Settings :

Resolution - 1280x1024

GFX settings all on normal

1600 view distance

During campaign my fps is averaged as :

Windows XP - 45 fps

Windows Vista - 33 fps

Windows 7 - 38 fps

(keep in mind that Windows 7, while not fresh, is a fairly new install)

Well as we can most likely assume the guy fixed his graphics issue and the shame was too much for him to ever post again, let's consider this asked and answered before it becomes another bickerfestâ„¢