Sign in to follow this  
Bellum

Dedicated Server Bandwidth

How much upload bandwidth do I need to run a server with say like 50 players? I have a 2Mbps (256KBps) upload connection. Is that enough? On the ArmA Dedicated server page here http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server it states only 1Mbps is needed, but I know that with most servers the more people you have the more upload bandwidth you need.

You should've posted this in the multiplayer forum, where server administrators would likely come across it and be able to give you an idea of what kind of traffic they have. My hunch is 2mbit wouldn't be enough.

Are these 50 players part of an organised group, or are you hoping to host a public server? I have noticed players joining will need to download mission data etc. and this can take up a fair bit of bandwidth - there's often a few megabytes of data they'll need to download. From local servers I tend to download at around 80-100 KB/sec though on one occassion I did get around 200 KB/sec. I guess it depends how busy the server is.

With the demo I've only tried to connect to one dedicated server, and I downloaded 20 megs from it at 80 KB/sec before I gave up. I think it was bugged (I had to quit and kill Arma2 via task manager).

Obviously the main problem here is that if people are connecting and downloading the mission, it may reduce the bandwidth available to people already playing resulting in desync. If it prioritises players, then it might take so long for the user to download the data they need that they'll all give up before starting.

If it's an organised group, you might be able to supply the mission to everyone via another channel, but I'm not 100% sure that works (it might download the "server's version" even though they're actually identical).