Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

STEAM troubleshooting

???

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE does not have any Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2 tingy in it.

i find only Bohemia Interactive Studio in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\

any your workaround/fix doesnt seam to work.. :?

edit.

i just looked around in regedit and i noticed that i find a key called Main in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA 2

it has the correct path.

im using xp64 bit.. maybe that why it dosent work ??

erm

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384253(VS.85).aspx

in more words

The Wow6432 registry entry indicates that you're running a 64-bit version of Windows.

The OS uses this key to present a separate view of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE for 32-bit applications that run on a 64-bit version of Windows.

When a 32-bit application queries a value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<company>\<product> subkey, the application reads from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\<company>\<product> subkey.

The figure below shows the structure under Wow6432Node that 32-bit applications will see.

A "registry reflector" copies certain values between the 32-bit and 64-bit registry views (e.g., mainly for COM registration) and resolves any conflicts using a last-writer-wins approach.

in short - it should be properly redirected auto ...

NO, it's not possible to register retail version to STEAM ...

A bit short of an answer... Why not?

I have the CD version of ARMA 2 and just bought the Steam version of OA.

So here we have a new beta, and I can't really make it work with the Steam version. I tried installing the beta, but it doesn't seem to register OA, just the old cd version of ARMA.

There is a folder in the Steam directory under "Expansions" called "beta", but it crashes when I try to launch the .exe situated there.

What is the correct way of beta patching a Steam version?

A bit short of an answer... Why not?

because CDkeys STEAM use are theirs own key systsem so You can't register ARMA 2 DVD Key or ARMA 2 OA DVD with STEAM self

Just curios

Was there a Steam update prior to last night?

I had lots of trouble with the _runA2CO.cmd that was totally different and messed up my setup.

Fixed it now, but it was really frustrating because I didn't get any notification from Steam. I have Steam for both ArmA2 and ArmA2:Operation Arrowhead

Hi NoBrainer.

Yes.. it was a steam update for some days ago.. and YES.. if screw up your _runA2CO.cmd. Therefor it's a good idea to make a backup of it and name it whatever you want, and use that one to startup ArmA2:CO ;)

EDIT: Jeg har gått på samme smell opptil flere ganger pga Steam update, den sier jo ikke ifra om det er ny update, derfor har jeg laget egen _runA2CO.cmd ;)

Ha forsatt en fin kveld, skååååål :p

yeah you should not overwrite _runA2CO.cmd because if it gets updated your changes are lost ...

make own copy

also since the last one you can use the "set launch options" in game properties within steam

Not tested the beta so I run Steam 1.52. But the other night I had to "force" -cpuCount=4 and -exThreads=7 (i7 860 cpu).

I had multiple crashes when trying to take a weapon out of a weapon crate.

But with the "new" settings it did not crash.

It was no CTD, but A2CO did not respond anymore.

I thought -cpuCount and -exThreads was not necessary with A2CO?

only with the newest betas , as oa went gold before exthreads, i think

Hey I'm new here, I've tried to run Operation Arrowhead (bought with steam with the ArmA II game) but apparently I get bad serial number used in setup. I can run ArmA II no problem but it's OA that's fine. I have tried the solutions, verified the game cache and also I run as administrator from a shortcut. To no avail I still get the error and I don't know what else I can do. I've contacted steam on it and they told me the same solution which doesn't work for me. I use Windows 7, if anyone can help that would be great.

Edit: I might have also be in the wrong location for this issue *sigh* apologies if it is.

Edited by Jason9811

Hi and welcome :)

First, you have bought both versions? ArmA2 + ArmA2:OA or just ArmA2: Combined Operation?

Restart Steam. (Rightclick the steam logo in the system tray and select exit, then log in to steam again).

If that doesn't work, reboot.

Fixed it for me.

Hi and welcome :)

First, you have bought both versions? ArmA2 + ArmA2:OA or just ArmA2: Combined Operation?

I bought Combined Operations. ArmA II works without any problems, it's just OA that has the bad serial number in setup error. Thanks for the welcome by the way, appreciated :).

Yeah I've tried reboots, restarts everything. It's not seeming to work out.

EDIT: Okay I got the game to work it was a strange problem with steams installing the game. Apparently OA has no "KEY" binary code inside of it. For future reference I made a step guide for anyone else who gets this error and it might just help the situation more. Also 90% of the credit goes to the steam help support. This is easier for Combined Operations.

STEP 1:

First go to START> RUN

STEP 2: Type "regedit" (picture below)

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7269/step1a.jpg

STEP 3: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and look for the folder called "wow6432node" (Picture Below)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8136/step2t.jpg

STEP 4: Click "wow6432node" and locate the folder "Bohemia Interactive Studio" there you will see the ArmA folders. (PLEASE VIEW Picture Below)

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4053/step3k.jpg

Step 5: After viewing the picture above you'll need to edit the binary of the key to do so view the picture below (MAKE SURE YOU SELECT ALL or whatever you can select THE BINARY INSIDE OF IT! EVEN THE GIBBERISH!)

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9475/step4xz.jpg

Afterwords load Operation Arrowhead and it should load for you. That's the best I can do after stumbling on the problem, I was able to get into multiplayer no problem too. Cheers and hope it works for the rest of you. If you have just the expansion OR the original you'd have to work on the binary yourself or ask the company to provide you (with the appropriate key) the binary for it.

Now before I get people complaining about this, this way was for some reason the ONLY way I could have had it worked. I've reinstalled everything (wasting bandwidth as well) yet for some reason it would not produce the KEY. I have bought these games and STEAM wouldn't make the key even with the verifying cache and administration mode. Either way I can play now.

Edited by Jason9811

I am having some major graphics issues, I am getting gray boxes from the lowest graphics setting to the highest graphics setting. I have read a number of these threads, and I am running Steam beta, I have tried to change the end of the file name, I have tried to run in windowed mode. I have the same problem with ARMA 2 and ARMA 2 operation arrowhead.

OS Windows 7 64 bit

Processor Intel® Core i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, 2267 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

4GB RAM

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD 1.68 G RAM

My computer is all of 4 months old and I can run Battlefield 2 on the highest graphics settings without a problem.

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD 1.68 G RAM

There's your problem. I don't think BI supports intel gpu's.

intel core 870@2.93

8gig

ninvidia ge gtx 480gaming graphics 4095gb

500 gig hd

win7 64 bit

I have went thru all fixes listed with neg results including

below

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Tim, If it still does not work, please try deleting your ArmA 2 expansion entries: Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK". Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ Note: In 64-bit operating systems, this path may begin as: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ Right-click on the entry "ArmA 2 OA" and select "Delete". The entry may appear as a folder. Exit regedit. Load Steam using the following instructions: -If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator." -If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps: 1) Exit Steam. 2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK". 3) Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE 4) Right click and select "Permissions" 5) Check the boxes for "Admin" and "System" to "Full control" and "Read". From the Library list, right-click on "ArmA 2" and select "Properties" from the menu. Select the "Local files" tab and click the "Verify integrity of game cache..." button. Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes. Once the process is completed, the "Check" window will automatically exit. Do the same for "ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead". You should now be able to launch your game. If you continue to have difficulty, further technical support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the link below for instructions to contact the support provider for this title: Title: ArmA II series Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7614-RUPL-1145 Please let us know if you encounter any difficulty contacting the support provider for this title, or if you have any further questions.

I am at a loss as to what to do any help would be appreciated

I don't really get it about patch install. I have arma:CO from Steam.

Do i need to install latest pacth for Arma 2 AND OA? or is it a CO patch that includes both?

please help....

Just run the latest beta installer and it will make an icon on your desktop.

Edited by Strikor

i just bought arma 1 from steam and i keep getting the message file too short addons/character.pbo after a check box appers gets to the point with 2 more check boxs and stops

New STEAMclient beta changelog from 9.12.2010

- Fixed starting game executables with very long command line parameters (>255 characters)

this is very important fix for STEAM users of all ARMA serie games

makes way easier to run any mods at any path via commandline :)

the A2:CO option in STEAM is not for beta version, You need create new batch file for the beta with proper mod entries to run in A2: CO mode