Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

STEAM troubleshooting

Arma2.cfg should be located under Documents/ArmA2

Thanks, I found it, but now it says "Adobe reader cannot open ArmA2Demo.cfg because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged"

@BLKJAG your issue sounds like very corrupted file cache

I figure that.. I even ran their game integrity/cache program.. I am just a little upset, since from the date of buying the game, I been dealing with this for 3 weeks and invested over 80 hrs of personal time - installing, reinstalling, OS, apps, drivers, routers config with other programs and apps that not even related to the steam.

And, constantly repeating downloading the game, the problem was as simple as that, which they should had offered as one of the first step to do first, instead of telling me goes through 100 others things before suggesting this one.

@fakename - one of the biggest marketing hoodwink are being done by Monitors companies, what they claimed they can do and what they can actual do are two different things -

Here some good sites you can go to learn more about monitors and their capabilities http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Master_Monitors_List & http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Peripherals,2/Monitors,8/ - the forum also have some great info

Edited by blkjag

Hi guys have any of you had problems with the mission badlands I have had to complete 2 missions on my own because the team is stuck and not moveing they report in but do not move I have tried every way to move them on but alass they stay in the same place at the beinging of each new mission they just move location but stay in the same place. It is P***ing me off a bit

Not entirely sure if that's steam related, it just might be a bad bug or glitch in the campaign. Check out the rest of the Troubleshooting forums (search function), it might have been discussed.

Got a Issue..

So i fired up steam.. it seams like it updated. and something is defently screwed up.. like..

when i make a mission in the editor and export my mission as multiplayer.. where on earth does the Mymission.pbo file get stored ??

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\MPMissions

contains 1 file.. a readme.txt. all that files says is "MPMissions" ..

when im in arma i can go into multiplayer and host the mission .. so i took a look in

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA 2\MPMissionsCache

and nope. its not there eigther..

so where is my mission file ? :banghead:

Edit:

fixed by reinstaling steam.

Edited by nuxil

Steam version in it's current incarnation does not need to be patched. When patch 1.03 is released, it should be made available via steam either the moment of release on BIS' site, or shortly after. Steam will automatically update your game (you may have to close steam and start it again to prompt it) so long as your Update settings for the game allow it.

Currently Dwarden (or one of the mods) mentioned that the patches obtained by means other than Steam will infact 'not' work on Steam, if I read his comment correctly.

hey ive had a quick look but couldn't really find anything of use

ive downloaded the arma2 demo through steam

and i keep getting ''data file too short 'addons\structures.pbo'. Expected 491679676 B, got 458582400 B'' when trying to open the game through steam

is there a fix for this please

thanks tommo

Edited by Cpt Tommo

did you right click on the game in your Games window and look in Properties. Go to the Local Files tab and click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". If you've already tried that and it didn't work, I'd suggest trying to redownload/install the game, which I know is frustrating, but that's all I can think off unless you want to look through the other 11 pages of this thread for possible solutions.

i got it to work somehow(just opened steam and it was updating) started to open up after but said error: shader model 2 not supported anymore =[

i guess this probably means my laptop aint good enough. worth a try =[

guess ill have to wait for the xbox version afterall

Yeah I believe the game requires shader model 3 ready video cards.

How many of you have the nv4_disp.dll crash issue?

have any of you tried disabling the Steam In-Game overlay?

So I bought ArmA2 from steam. Having some problems with it.

Downloaded just fine, and the game status says 100% - Ready. Launching it gave me an error, saying: "Game is currently unavailable. Please try again later."... waited for a few hours, and tried to troubleshoot the problem etc, no change.

Checked the ArmA2 install directory (Steam/steamapps/common/arma 2/) and noticed that there was no arma2.exe in there, so I got Spriggan to send me his arma2.exe through xfire, spriggan also go arma2 through steam.

Yay now I can load the game with no error! So I got on a domination server (since nothing else avaliable), played for a bit with no problems. Then I got on a berserk server, played for a bit and no problems, so thought everything was working fine now. But it turns out that I cannot join a bunch of servers, including trufrets dedicated test server. When I try to join it just gives me a blank "Multiplayer Setup" screen dialog, I cant see any of the mission info like you usually should be able to - no Mission / Description / Map / Side information. I can see players typing in chat and server messages, and I can press the "OK" or Disconnect buttons. When I click on the "OK" button it will say "Receiving mission file 0 KB / 0 KB" but Ill never get the file and it will just hang there forever.

I cant help but think this is related to the installation method but cant seem to get any support from steam, I put a ticket in but still waiting 12 hours to hear back.

The TG server is one of the ones I cannot join, which really sucks...

So any help from ArmA2 steam users would be greatly appreciated. I wish I didnt buy from steam but it was my only option since game not carried at any retail stores here.

When I join the server, it looks like this:

armaproblem1.jpg

When I click on OK, it looks like this and stays like this forever:

armaproblem2.jpg

fuzz, delete the ArmA2.exe Spriggan sent (or move it to another folder), and check the game cache integrity for the game in the properties by right clicking ArmA2 under your games tab, selecting Properties, and move under the Local Files tab. If you were missing the .exe file of all things, you might of been missing something else. Steam might of misreported the game being 100%.

Edit: I'm going to start assuming people already tried this.

Delete anything you received from Spriggan.

Right Click the ARMA2 Launch Shortcut in Steam.

Click Properties.

Click the Local Files tab.

Click the Verify Integrity of Game Cache button.

Let steam do it's thing, it will check your game cache and then repair itself if it's become corrupted or is missing elements.

Ok, so here's my problem, up until recently when I started A2, it erases all the controls I've mapped for my Saitek X52 joystick and each time I start the game I have to map them again, which is annoying... Also, when I map the controls, I noticed if I pressed next or previous (to go to the next control) it crashed my game, and it happened each time I did it. I checked the .cfg files in my Documents\ArmA II and set them to read-only, which they weren't, but still it keeps crashing.

Please help.

What exactly does -maxmem=2047 do?

I've used -maxmem=4096 because I have 4GB of memory. Is this the wrong thing to do? I'm not exactly sure how to use this switch.

What exactly does -maxmem=2047 do?

I've used -maxmem=4096 because I have 4GB of memory. Is this the wrong thing to do? I'm not exactly sure how to use this switch.

-maxmem is limited to 2047 max (anything over is set back to this max)

it defines the memory ARMA 2 will use at once yet it's not exactly limited because there is also

this http://www.bistudio.com/developers-blog/breaking-the-32-bit-barrier_en.html

which allows the engine use more than maxmem defined value ...

if you use -maxmem=1023 the engine may use more via OS by solution described in blog link.

lot of people will experience crashes and unstability with 2047

due way how OS handle resources and some drivers can do quite ugly stuff so using smaller value may help

(definitely suggested to try experiment with lower value in that case)

Thank you for the reply! I was surprised to see an official response.

So the game currently, is only able to take advantage of 2047MB of RAM, regardless of how much RAM I have in my system? Do I understand this right? Even 32-bit systems can address over 3GB of memory, so I'm not quite sure I understand this.

However I've experienced NO issues while using "-maxmem=4096" switch.

If I do I'll consider leaving it out, or trying 1023 as you suggest.

you got it incorrectly the game is able use more than the maxmem value using the memory w/o address solution ... it's not just 'used' by the process directly

and like i said numerous times -maxmem=4096 doesn't nothing else than being equal to -maxmem=2047, as 2047 is maximum value for this switch

STEAM version is now 1.3.0.58627 too make sure You update

Steam is attempting to re-download all of ARMA II instead of patching it.

The Patch File is listed at 134 megs.

Steam is attempting to download several thousand megs.