Sign in to follow this  
Calcutter

ArmA 2 - Server Ban List - ?

Hi there,

We've had our server up 24/7 since release and it's been very well populated, there is some great players coming and well... Going, due to a small amount of idiots trying to prove who can be the biggest 'tard!

We as a clan have time for anyone with questions and we will help people on the server, but we don't have time for people who smash the base and assets up and teamkill! So now I have sort of vented some frustration and after 20 minutes or so of browsing numerous websites and the forums. I would like to know how (if it's possible) to set up a ban list to ban players from the server using their ID?

I would appreciate a prompt response, I want to try get this under control ASAP so we can play the damn game and not have to admin 24/7! :yay:

Hi,

Create a file called ban.txt in the arma 2 server dir

Add one entry per line for each miscreants user ID

you can comment it with //

eg

666 // Banned satan for being a git to Jesus

Hi,

Create a file called ban.txt in the arma 2 server dir

Add one entry per line for each miscreants user ID

you can comment it with //

eg

666 // Banned satan for being a git to Jesus

Thank you very much! :D

Wonder if its a good idea to publish this somewhere. I know if I posted a updatable list on a forum.. googling the id would show that they have been banned else where. And maybe even after a while well established servers could share lists.

Wonder if its a good idea to publish this somewhere. I know if I posted a updatable list on a forum.. googling the id would show that they have been banned else where. And maybe even after a while well established servers could share lists.

Yeah definitely, I think it's best to leave it for a bit now, as you say, it would have to be a trust thing, last thing we want is sharing ban lists with people on, who didn't deserver a ban! :)

You know what would be REALLY great is if the server admins made a public ban list we could all share, So be an idiot on 1 server expect to be banned from all the decent ones, Yes its harsh, but so is life

( very fed up with idiots )

Hi all

In reply to Razor: The problem with global ban lists is ensuring it is not just some dodgy admin on a server not liking a particular player. For them to ban some one they do not like is fine it is the server admin's server, but for that dislike to be translated into a global ban is unreasonable. For now I think it is better for servers to keep their own ban lists.

If we are going down the global ban list route then we need cast iron proof, concurrent photo or FRAPS with server log, gathered across multiple servers.

It also important for bans to be supported by evidence and for there to be a server ban court so people can appeal a ban eg. if someone gets TK ban for being pilot of a copter that is taken out and crashes or for any one in the crew of a copter that crashes when the pilot disconnects or is killed.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

On one server with CTF map I had to make multiple TK because is some bug. Someone end somehow on the roof of the building without ladders and we all spawning on that person on the roof.

After some time I decide to team kill all living person on the roof and jump down and kill myself. After my suicide we are all spawning normally so such team kill was necessary.

I agree with idea for sharing ‘tards ID but also we have to give people opportunity to be erased from this list and publish that too if he prove his innocent.

Walker- I didn't say Global ban list and was cautious to mention such a path.

Although if there are 4-5 servers that I know are well administrated I would more than welcome copying their ban list so with the spare time I have I can enjoy playing on my server in the manner I wish.

As cal says.. leave it for a while just yet!

Is there any way I can ban servers from coming up in my list? You know the ones that are doushes because I didnt have teamspeak so kept TK'ing me in the air. I dont wanna play with people like that either

You know what would be REALLY great is if the server admins made a public ban list we could all share, So be an idiot on 1 server expect to be banned from all the decent ones, Yes its harsh, but so is life

( very fed up with idiots )

I back that, and will share our servers ban list, once it's populated, with anyone that wants it.

Edited by He||razør

I can only speak for Zeus community

We personally wouldnt use someone elses ban list

We prefer to assess the individuals actions on our server and after investigation then take the required action.

Unfortunately there are only a few Long established BIS communities I would even consider using a ban list from and even then, who is to say, the admin at the time wasn't just having a bad day and reacted to a situation without investigating it first.

What I would suggest, is that each community keeps a web page which lists the user id's , the admin who banned him and the reason for the ban and perhaps links to that page from here

In addition, perhaps they could also have some system for grievance procedures so an individual can put his case forward after a ban

At the end of the day, choose your admins wisely, they are the foundation of a good community server (IMO)

What I would suggest, is that each community keeps a web page which lists the user id's , the admin who banned him and the reason for the ban and perhaps links to that page from here

I guess if you never want to play the game and you like babysitting, umm sure??

The Player List screen in ArmA2 doesn't display the player # like in ArmA currently. You have to type #userlist and get the player number from there, and then #exec ban 52 <-player's number) and it works.

Edited by He||razør

How do you find a players User ID? What is the command?

#userlist

or you can look in the log file on the server. banning them adds them to the ban.txt

Bisstudios should encourage all dedicated servers to password their servers; pubbers have no place in this game. They teamkill too much is realism modes. Also, all servers should have a no bullshit policy (2 strikes and you're banned).

Bisstudios should encourage all dedicated servers to password their servers; pubbers have no place in this game. They teamkill too much is realism modes. Also, all servers should have a no bullshit policy (2 strikes and you're banned).

If you did this the number of active servers would drop like crazy as Only clans / clubs would have servers as not too many people will pay to have empty servers all the time (there are enough empty servers). Its hard enough for server owners to get players in as people tend to find one server they like and play there.

But to make everyone run passworded servers is silly.

If you get too stern on the rules no one will stay and play either. Its a fine balance . Also there are a lot of new comers to the game that are used to the cod5 style of play where icons tell you whos who.

Lucious Aldin

Puggle

These two players have constantly cause TK problems at the aircraft carrier on a server I was playing on, just mowing down everyone.

I know it's not much help seing as these are their profile names but if you see them on your server please look up their playerID's (if that's possible) and put them on the banlist...

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

#userlist

or you can look in the log file on the server. banning them adds them to the ban.txt

Userlist is useless for me... it shows all the users except in the chatfield, which is only about 3-4 lines long... how do you look at chat history in game?

you can also add the player by the tag JAS. on every server that i have fund him in he is causing nothing but grief. he like to run arround and shoot other players in the legs and gimp them when they are far away from any help. he infact loves to pick a player as his main target, spending the whole mission just attacking that one player. he uses the halo option in some missions to follow he target arround and gimp them.

in the last server he was on the whole server made it thier mission to kill him on sight when he parashuting down on his victim. server admins keep an eye out for this player. he waits for the admin to either leave of go afk befor starting his crap.

Lucious Aldin

Userlist is useless for me... it shows all the users except in the chatfield, which is only about 3-4 lines long... how do you look at chat history in game?

Page up ;)

ban.txt

2723472 banned on 45.34.32

Will ban IDS 2723472,45,34,32 and 4924792

Lucious Aldin

Puggle

These two players have constantly cause TK problems at the aircraft carrier on a server I was playing on, just mowing down everyone.

I know it's not much help seing as these are their profile names but if you see them on your server please look up their playerID's (if that's possible) and put them on the banlist...

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

Whatever they have done, this is not cool man.

After reading this thread through in order to help curb some miscreants on my own servers, I get this feeling that some of you _want_ to effectively kill the multiplayer aspect of the game off.

Its already hard enough for people to get into the game with alot of servers enforcing an almost un-fun number of rules/regulations either previously established or made up on the spot (by penalty of kick/ban).

Sure, there are people who grief, but global permanent bans will only serve to push the multiplayer community to a small niche community of elitist players who would alienate newbies. I saw this behaviour in previous servers of the series I hosted and I would rather avoid the same cycle. There were other contributing factors I found with such a downward spiral, but perhaps if people are not enjoying the current game enough to continuously grief other players; perhaps a different game map/style should be tried. Alot of the suggestions i've seen so far only reinforce such an insular and stale endgame.