Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Poor FRAPS performance.

I see in videos on Youtube that most people can record their ArmA2 exploits with little slowdowns. However my own experience is that I'm getting very choppy footage from FRAPS. As soon as I stop recording the FPS goes back to smooth, but as soon as I record it's very choppy. Not even uniformly bad, sometimes I get a few seconds of reasonable footage but for the most part it;s very stop-start.

I notice that when running ArmA2 and recording with FRAPS, that both cores of the CPU are at 100% In Armed Assault I was able to run the game on one core and FRAPS on the other core, which gave me good performance.

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, experiences in getting smooth FRAPS performance where they used to get poor performance?

I've tried running the game & FRAPS on different drives, setting core affinity to each core, as well as both. I''m running WinXP Pro, 2x250gb + 1x500gb HDs, AMD x2 4800+, 2GB RAM, 8800GTS.

i had a significant performance increase by adding another HD to my system. so i have a separate physical drive for the OS, the game and for fraps.

aside from that i'm curious about other suggestions too...

Be sure to make Fraps save to a different HD than the one the game is running on. It helps a lot. ;)

You alread said running Arma2 and Fraps on different drives didn't help, but that's precisely what made the difference for me. Almost like night and day. A few other things I use are 25fps while recording, and half-screen recording(resoluton is halved). A full-screen recording is four times as big as a half-screen, so it's easy to see how this makes a difference. Quality suffers of course, but for general Youtube use and such it isn't too bad.

Am having this issue as well. My fps goes all the way down to 1- 6 FPS when recording and I have tried setting to my 2nd HD. Makes no difference.