Sign in to follow this  
xxpagxx

What's with all the lollygagging?

In eager anticipation, I quickly downloaded the Arma 2 demo this morning. Finally what I've been waiting for. An FPS with a heavy focus towards realism and teamwork. I was quite excited. After playing lots of America's Army and Project Reality, this was something I was really looking for. Ultimate teamwork.

But my experience with this game has been abysmal. Don't get me wrong. The game itself is amazing. The whole engine and design is quite what I expected.

But the multiplayer community... Ugh.

In every PvP server I joined, there was absolutely no teamwork. There was team killing, and everyone just sat around spawn, doing close to nothing.

What's going on here? I had a vision that this game would feature 100 vs 100 player battles across 20 kilometers of terrain. Squads fighting toughly over control of different points. Dogfights overhead, and the sound of tanks firing shells in the background.

But apparently this isn't so. Even the full game doesn't have any of these types of servers. It's mostly Co-op with a small amount of players. It seems that PvP just doesn't work towards someone who's not in a clan because everyone just ****s around.

What good is an ultra realistic simulator if people don't actually play? As of now, it seems to me that America's Army and Project Reality are loads more realistic due to the actual teamwork from the players.

Am I mistaken? I don't know, maybe I haven't given this game enough of a chance, but it just doesn't seem like the "100vs100 pvp" game that I thought it was.

What am I missing? :(

Edited by xxpagxx

You're missing a team or as you call it: clan. In more than 5 years of OFP/ArmA I did 99% of games in my team and with 2 different teams playing PvP or CoOp. Random server just isn't the thing with kiddies running around, not to even mention all of the cheaters...

I agree get yourself a clan, I locked our server after 2 days of the german release due to morons joining so now with a locked server and a good bunch of lads we can get down to some serious but good for a laugh gaming.

I can't stand playing the game by myself but as soon as I get even one of my mates online with me using Voip it just transforms the experience. CTI is fantastic with friends especially when the Human ratio is higher on both sides.

Hi xxpagxx

As others have said join a clan.

There is a squads and fan pages section of this forum devoted to them!

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

The top post is a sticky directory of them. You can then look through the posts in the rest of that section of the forum for more details on that particular clan or just go straight to their website from the directory post.

The big clans also run public servers; the better ones are adminned. They use these to recruit from, and to train people in their clan ethos. They also use their public servers to gather log files, FRAPS and Print screens on TKs, game breakers and the like to include in Ban Lists; as well as intel on hacks for inclusion in the anti cheat software.

Such adminned public clan servers are a good compromise in terms of freedom and the reduced numbers of numpties. If they have veteran players on they will take charge and get people playing as a team.

Once you become a member of a clan you get access to their locked and hidden servers most of the really big clan servers are locked and or hidden.

Kind Regards walker