Sign in to follow this  
SaOk

SP Missions by SaOk

I started playing the COOP version of The Battle Of Zargabad and it so far is a great mission! Thanks for all the work you put into making it SaOk!!!!!

Really well put together mission!!

Thank you :)

That "Russian Invasion"-mission is in the first post in the small "Older ArmA2 Missions"-section. I havent yet updated it as I planned a long time ago, but I will see if find a good mood for it again some day. I should have now better tools to finish it with many of them scripts from the Zargabad mission. I also have new unreleased scripts for AI groups to move between different fixed defensive positions (with separate waypoint/unitpos for each soldier that can make them use even forfications as cover). The mission could be also good for multiplayer.

Black Forest is a total chaos from inside. Its following a number to keep units low, the unit deleting is made differently and there is much variation how things are done. It will require much rewriting again before its coop compatible, but I will see. :)

One tricky part would be the suddent time change from night to morning. I read the skiptime have 30sec delay before clients see the effect. Not sure how to make it look good, but I will do some testing.

hehe, I've played Black Forest, it's one of our fav missions…even though I've never beaten it. It's such a long mission, that it could practically be considered a campaign by itself. :D

No I don´t mean that you should make Black Forest COOP (Totaly unsure how this should wrk, and the mission is waaay to long anyway) I´m just not sure if the mission reall works with CO and the latest Patches+ACE

It should work good - I played it with CO last summer and before that I tested many times with ArmA2+ACE. The mission is long, but there is also an option to skip many tasks and stay mostly in CDF trenches. But I will see if I would update it anyway someday.

New hotfix (v1.1) is available for "The Battle of Zargabad"-COOP. Briefing and tasks should display now always for players joined in progress. Also the ammotruck gear cargo is fixed and I added an UN AT-soldier to guard the airfield (respawn position).

Edited by SaOk

New "Black Forest"-SPmission version 2.5 for FDFmod is available.

blackfbo.jpg

Mission Description:

Night is falling over the black forest. Lieutenant Hakkarainen is ready to get some sleep but suddenly he is ordered to meet Captain at one of the outposts in Black Forest. The trip could already be dangerous with boredom and lack of energy. However after the briefing there is suprises ahead.

Features:

-Overview/Briefing/Gear Choose

-Voice acting/ambient sounds (by SavedByGrace)

-Ability to call reinforcemets

-Custom Minefield System

-Sleepy vision/folumetric fog/sleeping/snow/color filter

-ACE2 compatible

-Cutscenes

-Optional (half hidden) targets that affect on later objective

-Artillery/Healing/High Command-Modules

-Many FSM/Other-scripts (campAI,spotlightAI,ambientCAR,scoutcarAI...)

-Unlimited Savegames

-About 1,5-4 hour playtime

-Ambient life

Note:

-Many objectives arent mandatory. You can fail the mission only if you die

-Unlimited Savegame by 0-0-1

-Use high command via Ctrl+Space (Available on late mission)

-Use artillery via 0-8-1 (Available on late mission)

-Call reinforcements via 0-0-3 (Available after first proper objective)

Requirements: ArmA2 Combined Operations (~1.57) + FDF mod

Download 2.5 From ArmaHolic

Download 2.5 From Gamefront

Edited by SaOk

my god what an excellent mission black forest is, action every where, optional task, friendship level!?!?! ur choice affect the dynamic of the game dammmm almost feel like a RPG game or it is a RPG game, not to mention great length and replayable too.

u got every thing right. unlike some well design mission but only hav too fewer tasks which took may be 30min to an hour to complete, really left u hanging n just hungry for more and worst of all those author show u all the task right off the bat it totally spoil the mystery no suprise no option at all...

every thing in ur mission just spot on, any way in 1 word to describe ur mission, it is just dammmmm amazing~~~~~~

more great thing about ur mission is, well u surely r a talented author don't know how u manage to pack so much action, cut scene, special function and 10 hours+ game play in 1 pbo yet silky smooth FPS all the way even for my poor little duo core machine, just amazing bravo~~~ totally PRO job no doubt...

ty for ur time and effort, really... i enjoy it heapssssss...

Edited by j rock

Thank you. :D

I also have a weak q6600 that can drop the FPS fast. I totally begun to hate low fps, so I made a lot spawning/deleting cycles for Black Forest. The whole mission was a big experiment - all seem to work, but I have improved the methods a lot to newer missions that arent as big, but inlude also much spawning/deleting.

But I will try to make an another 4+ hour light RPG style mission someday again (maybe for FDFmod). Currently I have a campaign coming, but I still like more the SPmission format without loading pauses that reset things for every mission start.

I love your missions SaOk.I look forward to your future releases.Thanks for all your time and effort in creating your missions.

June? Oh thats really far far away....

At least some Teaser vids, please?

The cutscenes take much time to create (for me). I am trying to add much cinema, but still keeping them in sensible playtimes and divided quite evenly trough missions. 7 cutscenes are already quite ready, one of them is a "Balota Highway"-style music video for a mission that I planned first to create as separate SP mission. I will see if I would create somekind of teaser vid or pic collection. I need to be carefull, not to spoil too much. :)

Here is two campaign teaser pics straight from one of the cutscenes (WIP):

preview1zs.jpg

preview2oa.jpg

The unitcapture function is a great help. ;)

Edited by SaOk

Looks very promising!

Saok, can you give any estimated timeline when your new campaign is ready?

I'm bored and need some new (quality) missions to play :) :yay:

EDIT: oh, just noticed you mentioned june.

Edited by subtee

Ok, so bear in mind that the following opinion may be exaggerated because Arma 2 has been my only respite from soul-crushing amounts of work this weekend.

But I just replayed Black Forest, actually completing it this time, and holy shit, Saok, I need to rant about how extraordinary this mission is.

It has absolutely everything. An inventive, atmospheric beginning that sucks you in like ArmA almost never does. Driving along dirt roads, your headlights shining off the fog, only to come across a herd of grazing cows which you have to drive around. It feels like a cutscene, building into the real action. (That volumetric fog also makes NVG suitably difficult to use. It should be standard.)

Then you have far-flung small-scale operations that are entertaining, logical and require careful planning. The mission goes on and on if you want it to, with objectives further and further afield that actually matter in the end.

Perhaps the best part is the performance. You must be a consummate coder, Saok, to have gotten this mission to work. I'm one of those unlucky bastards that thinks 30fps is high, and your enormous mission, stretching convincingly over half the map and creating a clear strategic picture, runs most of the time like an empty editor mission. It's so immaculate that it performs well even hours into play.

And then of course things build into an epic finish centered around excellently-placed fortifications. It's like Chernarus was designed for it.

I think what I liked most about the experience is that my plans fell apart. It felt like real war because in all three major engagements my carefully-orchestrated operation went tits-up, yet I still managed to claw my way out.

First some spetsnaz stragglers interdicted my Stary Sobor reinforcements, but I was rescued by the fact that the NAPA fighters were wizards with RPGs.

Later, my SPG-9 gunner missed a roadblock entirely, and all hell broke loose from a BMP.

Then a mortar round landed practically on my head just as I fired a captured Metis, leaving the base vulnerable to the tank when I missed.

Then my armor all got taken out, and I had to jump into the gunner's seat of an empty tank to finish the job myself.

But the map really is a work of art. I was continually running across little odds and ends of things, with abandoned bases and vehicles in the forest, all lit up by Russian flares. At one point I stopped and examined the map, imagining the strategic position in the rest of the country based on the symbols. Very immersive, and I'm glad you removed the ambient combat since the last version.

My only possible critique is that the folksy American accents don't fit the CDF at all, although I don't want to belittle all the work that went into it.

And hey, apparently I'm listed as a beta tester in the credits. Who knew?

Edited by maturin

I have a problem in the mission The Battle Of Zargabad. At start the Heli crush whit ground...

Thank you, maturin and Choki. :)

Black Forest required much of work. I was learning scripting and that caused much failures that forced to make big changes many times. I started to fight with the poor FPS already when there were bad leaks in game engine. That made me to remove that ambient combat and also civilian modules. I replace those with own more detailed but fixed spawning. For long time FPS still stayed poor in late mission, but finally when BIS patched the leaks, my spawning/deleting cycles begin to work correctly. I would create many things differently today, but even with the chaotic scripting in Black Forest, it runs quite smooth now.

I couldnt find any east-european voice actors back then so my good friend SavedByGrace (from "Fly Like an Eagle"-mission) recorded the voices. First a fake czech accent was planned, but finally I suggested just to speak with normal voice. The accent is wrong, but else I think he made an excelent job and there was some new nice details in radiochatting.

For credits, I tryed to gather all that had gave some feedback of the mission. :)

Choki, are you using any mods or old game version? The chopper shouldnt crash because its scripted to follow a recorded fly path. But, I will take a look of the problem. That dosent sound good.

The upcoming campaign is coming now faster. I have made much progress in week. Its almost playable from start to finish and there is only very few cutscenes needed more. I may release it first as beta without voice-acting and then add them hopefully soon during summer. Only Combined Operations is required, but DLCs are good to have. I´be been playing the missions with ACE2 mod to make sure it works great with it too.

Hi SaOk

can't wait for your campaign. Given the high quality missions you share it's going to be a blast. Thanks for all your hard work. In case you need some different voice over drop me a line.

kind regards