Sign in to follow this  
SaOk

SP Missions by SaOk

Saok I have only played your Black Forest mission - and let me say it was absolutely awesome! The little touches made it great too - like having to get a coffee from the woman in the town to stay awake. This mission is definitely one of my favorites - the level of immersion is way up there! :)

For some reason only after I reload savegames in your mission the game starts to stutter really badly, and it's only ever happened with the Black Forest mission - it never even happened ever during the campaign for me, ArmA2 runs sweet on my machine - that's why I can't understand what is going on in your mission. It's fine up until I have to reload a save game.

Great work anyway dude! I'm gonna go check out your other missions!

The game also runs little slower on my comp after reloading. I will try to find a way to fix that.

I'm really enjoying the mission so far (even if it doesn't run too well on my comp) but I'm stuck on the NAPA objective. I've cleared the town, taken out the tank, and cleared out the enemy barracks and field hospital, and nothing happens. The NAPA guys just stand around the field hospital area. Is there something I missed, or is this just a glitch?

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

LoL, forget my last post. Turns out there was some guy hiding out in some bushes a couple hundred meters north of the town. I never saw him, but one of my guys did and he took him down by pure luck. In the future though, it would be nice if you made it so that the russians can't run too far away, so that people don't have to look all over for them.

I will improve that NAPA objective. Russians are also often hiding in medic tent with only visible legs. Also I need to make an actor to replace player in cutscenes and it would be better to have separate selections for ACM skills and appearance rating.

New version 1.00 of "Black Forest" is available. Its hopefully a final version unless I get voicefiles for it in future. There is a new better difficulty selection, improved reinforcement system for player and new optional objective.

You can send NAPA squad to Stary Sobor anytime with HOTEL-radiosignal (0-0-8?). The mention was just to hint that they are more vulnerable when fighting outside of the citylights.

Black forest: I accepted NAPA mission to attack stary sobor (and call reinforcements 0-0-8).

1) I decided first to go the Middle outpost to sleep and start the attack with NAPA the next day on daylight: well after the cutscene of the sleeping, the objective "capture the HQ in Stary Sobor" was signed as "failed".Is it correct?

2) So I went to Middle outopost to "take breakfast": nothing happened for 5 minutes (no text file, no" objective done"). Is it correct or is it a bug?

3) Performance: The graphics engine and fps are oscillating, it is not fluid as standard BIS Missions. Could be the AI load, some scripts loading. Just check to get more stable fps, as also others suggested.

Bye

Alex

P.S.: great great mission atmosphere....night, fires in the trenches...good!

Edited by eirulan

After you return to middle outpost for sleeping, you cant do the optional tasks anymore. It isnt informed very good in briefing. I should make small update for that.

In breakfast objective you need to go to west outpost to meet squad leader near small radio mast (cutscene). After that visit at tower where you should get visible text conversation before the action begins again.

For me the biggest performance drop comes from quite rare "Zero divider"-error which is a bug in Ambient Civilian Module. I have no idea why it appears but I will try to prevent it somehow. Also I could still try to decrease unit count in mission. There is some needless units at east outpost which could be deleted while player isnt near.

I will try to make an update for this mission soon.

Hi great mission spent nearly 8 hours (not non stop) on this beast. Nice touches with the coffee/breakfast/mission linking... but the big attack after 'breakfast' is just ridiculous and frankly impossible.

Rant start:

If my squad remain on the look out hill all is fine. Destroy anything that attacks.

But it seems there is a trigger that activates when you go back to the west outpost to defend, that imediately spawns overwhelming odds from all sides, there is NO way to survive let alone beat them back, they spawn far too close to the trenches. I don't know what the point of taking control of the two groups in High command are as they do nothing their told, not to mention that they seem to teleport all over the battlefield after enemies miles away.

Tanks, mass artillery, insurmountable odds versus pea shooters and limited static defences, friendly AI stand on top of the trenches and can't fire over them, they just get mowed down.

Rant ends. (just typed this having Alt F4 in furious frustration)

soooo....

This said up until this point was a really great mission.

Had no real problems with the performance.

One thing I would suggest before you start getting Voice overs, is to rewrite the dialogue, maybe get a native English speaker to help you out... it's not bad, but just doesn't flow like normal conversation would.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

In breakfast objective you need to go to west outpost to meet squad leader near small radio mast (cutscene). After that visit at tower where you should get visible text conversation before the action begins again.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to complete the mission the next time!

:)

Thanks for the feedback, Electricleash (and others). You are actually right with the high command - its not working as intended for the two group at west outpost. They would need proper "AI tactics"-scripts. I will improve the whole west outpost part. The objective shouldnt be impossible even now but its quite challeging and even more if you didnt destroy enemy artillery in one optional objective.

AI should already be able to shoot over the trenches as you can see in my old mission teaser clip:

Have you set up the AI skills in settings? I am using 1.0 skills for friendlies and 0.6 for enemies. I think it gives a nice balance with good team-mates and challeging enemy.

And the dialogue is poor now and it definitely wont be voice-acted without massive changes. I am waiting for my skillfull american writer friend to get his copy of ArmA2. Before that I could try to improve it myself but it will never be very high-level. ;)

Edited by SaOk

New version of "Black Forest" is here again. It should run much better now. There is less scripts running background, more unnessecary stuff deleted during the mission and also there is little less unimportant units at east outpost. I recommended not to overuse the ACM rate. 0.4 is already giving much ambient units around you.

There is also other changes and tweaks. e.g. Breakfast-objective is little less challenging with new minefield and rebalanced unitpower on both sides. ACM is also dropped to 0.1 after sleep to prevent unnessary performace loss and weird events in last two objectives.

I would ask about Black Forest...

After "we" have hold west point nothing appear - no enemies at least to close of us (I for example shouted down bmp-3 and btr-90 etc)... Mi-24 flying over us, there are infantre and our T-72 etc ... all is calm... But this task doesn't comlete - I don't know what I need to do for comlete this task :)

Will other task in this scenarion or this is (defence) last?

Have you moved from the breakfast tower to the bigger outpost (the real west outpost) with trenches, other fortifications and tents? After you go there the last enemy squads arrive. I should have changed that to trigger off with a timer instead of player presence.

Have you moved from the breakfast tower to the bigger outpost (the real west outpost) with trenches, other fortifications ...

Yes, immideately I run to there and for example I use SPG-9 (cannon) to hit enemy armored vehicle (APC, Tank etc). And I run/walked practically on all that territory during russian assault. Frankly speaking I tryed to reply this episode many times without any success of complete this event. And once I dicided to travel to (?) outpost (previos optional task) to meet Ivan after fighting near the west outpost because I thought it is necessare for complete mission, I met only one men there was also without success to speak or other things (exept standard questions like - did you see here any interestins etc) So on my way I sought two russian tanks to South from west point, but next time I didn't find them.

Anyway this your mission is very interesting and nice for me. If you want I can give you some suggestions in private but it is not means that anyting is wrong.

Edited by Deyneko
My English - mistakes...

Deyneko, be free to send those suggestions here or private mail. I will also test that part again if there is something wrong, but it have worked fine before.

I will also test that part again if there is something wrong, but it have worked fine before.

Terrible sorry! :) Its works... I just didn't understand that I must go to "lower" part of the West outpost. I have completed this task.

Nope. :) I am glad that it was working right. But still that part seems to be confusing for many. I´ll see if I can make it better some day, but currently I am focusing on campaign which will have all the current three missions (with changes) and a lot of new ones. There will be playable characters on both sides (Russian and CDF) which could be a bad idea but lets see how it looks. :D

Edited by SaOk

Nope. :) I am glad that it was working right. But still that part seems to be confusing for many.

Because for examle I tried to stay on the high point for superiority - it is better position you Ñan see all battlefield. Also you have there a cannon, two DSHK mashinegun - so for me it is logically better position and in real situation I wouldn't change position. After your suggestion I went to lower position I hear shooting but nothing to saw upsun and I run to enemy empty tank. Next I got in it and killed them all include BMP-3 :)

I am focusing on campaign which will have all the current three missions (with changes) and a lot of new ones.

COOL we will wait.

There will be an update to improve the breakfast objective. Thanks Deyneko for great feedback here and in private message. ;)

hi!

Is there someone found the "missing soldiers"? (3rd objective)?

Edit: Ok I found them. I think it was a bug, because I went at the same place many times, and they were not here.

Sorry for my bad English.

And...

Very good mission!!!

Edited by kanakbob

Thanks kanakbob :). Thats right - The 3rd objective can go different way and if you dont find them the mission will still continue with failed 3rd task status.

I updated Black Forest to version 1.20. The breakfast-part should be better and more reasonable now. There is some other changes too. See the first post.