492 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the demo?

• the demo is great
    • the demo is good
    • the demo is so-so
    • the demo is not good, I do not like the game
    • the demo is not good, I have problems installing it
    • the demo is not good, I have problems playing it

Demo is great, can't seem to find how to jump over fences tho...did they leave that feature out in the demo?

A big thank you to BIS for the awesome demo. It has really offered quite a few hours of enjoyment for me and my friends the last few nights, cooking up insane schemes in the custom mission editor and just general tom-foolery.

In addition to a fun experience (priority #1, always) the game is insanely well optimized and looks fabulous.

I was able to play the original Arma demo with all very low and "disabled" options at native 1080p resolution and pull 17-30 fps. That's terrible. The game is 3 and a half years old.

Now, this demo on the other hand, I can handily play at 100% fill rate (3d resolution) at 1080P with most AA and AF disabled, terrain at High, objects on Normal, textures on very high,PP at very high and pull 25-60 FPS, depending on where I am looking. This is incredible!

Now, what's interesting is that I can lower the internal and 3d resolution to 1280X 1024 and crank everything but AA to very high and get FPS of about 40+ ! That's awesome! Game is SO beautiful. Here is my complete rig if you are interested.

AMD Phenom 9850 X4 @ 2.5 (that's a quad at stock)

Zotac 9800GTX AMP Edition (thats an overclocked 9800GTX)

2 gigs of wtfe ram ( :P )

32 bit Windows 7 RC client.

23 inch HP HD 1080P monitor.

This is epic win game. Holding on to my paycheck to buy the retail copy on the 7th!

Edited by Schro

Has anyone been able to add missions to the demo? It will be a few weeks before I can buy the full game and would like a little more action :)

Hi, yeah seems that the glasses do work, they're only bugged in the player profile; I don't

think that you can add missions Hellfire59, the demo may not have the models and textures

that a mission designed for the full game may have/ask for.

Look how pale the units and the player skin (a .jpg or the game's faces) are; same day time,

same date, booth under the shadow and still the ArmA's colours look better valanced.

The thing:

ArmA2_Bug_10.jpg

That's the bigger bug in my opinion and the thing is that that's not easy of change i think. Let's C ya

Im fine with missing resources, its a demo :)

I was just wondering if anyone has done for Arma2 what was done for OFP, buy making some simple missions with available demo resources :)

Edited by Hellfire59

about the glasses.. maybe its because its a demo, and we are not suppose to have all options available.. :)

The demo was good but you guys left out allot of things like the Artillary logic which i wanted to test out and other logic.

But overall the scenarios were pretty good. And online was kinda fun but my ping on most servers is usually 150 to 200 and some Hosts dont like that even though there is no notable LAG. Every other match was " You have been Booted" :(

But it was fun, cant wait to get my copy.

Hi, other bug that i've seen in the Demo is with the glasses, they don't show any texture

in the player profile, so i didn't used any in the game; i guess that they won't work too.

In game it looks just fine :)

Has anyone been able to add missions to the demo? It will be a few weeks before I can buy the full game and would like a little more action :)

Isnt the point of demo is that keep the amount of content very limited to keep you just wanting for that very reason the priced full version? I dunno how legal in this forums is helping people get extra content to demo if it have some restriction to preventing that. Thought the pbo and bin. so files are veryeasy open to edit and therefore you have good change add anything even to demo version.

I mean how many other demos there are having this vast amount of content not counting some shareware of full versions and such? I certainly have seen so many full priced games having less playability with 50$ you can get free with ARma2 demo.

Edited by arma2mods
more

I tried the demo today and my max fps on very low settings were 10. :/

But despite this, I must say the game seems awesome! And all the people that is wining about the AI, why?! The AI is REALLY improved! I really loved it, so all that is missing now is a new computer:D

If you add or change the existing demo missions you will not have a working bikey. So no, its not possible to add new missions (which makes sense as it is a demo).

Im pretty happy with the demo. The game is way better than I expected.

The performace is avarage, could be better but is not unplayable, hope gets better with new drivers and patches, aswell the netcode. The major bug I encountered was the AI doing nothing and some CTD.

There is no "camera.sqs" in the demo , changed command or...?

OFP had about 100 missions for the demo (user made), was simply wondering if anyone had seen such for this game.

Enjoying the demo immensely. I was still a bit apprehensive about ArmA 2 beforehand, but after playing it all weekend I will get this as soon as it hits the shops.

One thing I haven't figured out btw: how do I turn the UI off? I want to make some screenshots.

thank you all, sry for posting 2 times the same question, but im new at this and im not that good.:D

i just wish TRACK-IR was enabled in demo...

I give the devs a 10 for all their hard work; however, I am a BF fan and this games ultra realistic (marine simulator) game play brings the FUN FACTOR to a crawl. I would say it is just TOO MUCH of everything that kills it for me. Trying to duplicate REAL COMBAT on a computer has become a drag. I am glad the demo was released because it has stopped me from shelling out REAL CASH for game that I really don't care for. BF3 anyone?

I have a problem when i download the game and install it,its fine but when i launch it all it does is show the BI logo, Show its rated M,Then it shows pictures of vechicles and then goes black then my computer restarts.

Ive downloaded it from Steam and from websites but it happens everytime i try and play.

Any help?

I've been playing the demo a lot so far and its a great game but group commands are hard to use fast during battles and being new to arma I am still trying to figure out what the multiplayer is like. So far, we've been trying "custom" mission in wich we added AI units but after a while it gets somewhat repetitive.

What does the multiplayer humans vs humans looks like on real game servers with the real game ? What are the Humans vs Humans game mode like ? How does it feel ? How does the community plays ? Is there a lot of clan vs clan (unit) ? So far, on the DEMO multiplayer servers most people dont communicate and dont play as a team...

Obviously, there seems to be a lot of COOP online but to me humans vs humans is much better and such games should focus on that, not humans vs AI.

AI is fun for a while but rapidly get boring. Popular online games that last for a long time usually are games with good Humans vs Humans competition such as Battlefield 2: PROJECT REALITY, etc.

How does the team organisation works with humans vs humans battles ? So far I've only been able to control 6 or 8 units online in the demo.

The infantry vs infantry gameplay is nice.

Oh and I taught I would prefer first person view as a PR fan but the 3rd person view really is better at everything... Looking overwall, larger view of the field, better aiming at long range... Kinda odd but its great to see our character animations.

Please, someone answer my questions. Thanks.

Oh and can someone tell me how the "dead valley" mode plays out online usually ? Isn't it chaotic having every player buy his own little army... ?

Is there anyway to set our voice quality in-game ? There seems to be no option for that.

Edited by Skodz

Rather serious bug:

Played the Demo Warfare'ish singleplayer mission, and at some point the formationdir became completely messed up. I tried return to formation, changing formation etc, but the direction never updated to where I wanted it - set by direction of travel. A wegde looked like a V, and a column had me in the back.

Hence, their reports would be reversed. "Man, 400m, in the rear of us" was actually in front of us. I had this bug a lot for Arma1 as well, but I thought it was due to addons. now I know better. If we are going to use AIs, this have to work as expected.

Did it happen once the game was saved or loaded? I'm not sure.

I would like to see the bench mark result of arma 2 demo on these cpu's:

Intel core i7 920 (default and overclocked)

AMD Phenom II X4 940

AMD Phenom II X4 955

With a GPU better then old 8800GTX