492 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the demo?

• the demo is great
    • the demo is good
    • the demo is so-so
    • the demo is not good, I do not like the game
    • the demo is not good, I have problems installing it
    • the demo is not good, I have problems playing it

I just had to dig up my old account after all this time MIA so i could drop by and say that I love the demo! Can't wait to get my hands on the full game now :)

Oh and you did a damn fine job with the tracers.. I'm loving them ;)

my system:

intel C2Q 9300

GPU: MSI NX8800 GT (GeForce 8800GT)

4GB RAM

and the the game crushing every 30 min'.

any sugestion?

I need to know if it just the demo or the Full game will do the same.

Hi, more screenshots of the demo:

Plastic Units Shape.

As you can see there, the units BDU show a weird plastic shape, their BDU and their skin;

all the units look pale and decoloured, even the blacks, that in the demo, the rebels use

the black yankees faces too which make the rebels give the shape that they're PMCs

from somalia, rodesia, haiti, south afrika or any country that exports fighters outside

their borders; i don't that this be bad, i just think that is weird.

Burned Image As M1A1 Gunner.

That screenshot like the previous one was taken setting the time to 14-06-2003, at the

18:00 of any summer; and when you switch to the gunner possition... the image was like

burned, this didn't happen as driver. The two AIs that i ordered to act as gunner and as

commander get like 5mins late to enter the tank for no reason, one of 'em was at no more

than 12m from the tank, standing doing nothing and going over his knee from time to time.

Pop Corn Sky:

ArmA2_Bug_07.jpg

That's how i seen the sky that same date but at the 21:00, the NVGs were very bad...

they don't look closer to how this devices look or to how they work.

I busted a pair of BMP-2s and one thing that surprised me was that some time after that

the fire had been extinguished on their remains... shudently it began again, like side ammo

explosions, was a good thing; other thing less pimp that i seen was that the ACOG sight

don't have any shiny tritium element, which was very dissapointing, almost as much as

check that the reticle that it uses still beeing the army reticle instead the USMC ACOG

sight reticle.

More Pop Corn Sky:

ArmA2_Bug_08.jpg

As you can see... is better to don't look to the sky by night, at least in the demo, is really

dissapointing how the NVGs work, even more than in the ArmA, where they were already

bad implemented/represented.

A very pimp thing is that at least the M24 and that kind of rifles with that grip, have their

propper handle animation and also a very pimp sound. Let's C ya

If colors are too bright for you I would suggest you mess with the gamma correction and brightness sliders in video options. It's currently set at an 'even' default because it's not for everyone but amazingly enough DOES make a big difference.

Hi,

No wonder game developpers in general seems to prefer console over pc.

The same game on what seems almost the same pc config gives so many different results...what a nightmare. No wonder there are still bugs on some machines.

I tested the demo on the same machine with 2 different OS (2 separate disks) using the benchmark mission.

E6600

2 G RAM

7900 GT

1440x900 for both output

No Postprocess

No Filtering

No AA

No Shadow

Very Low terrain

All the rest on Normal

Vista Ultimate SP1 = 22 fps

XP Pro SP3 = 20 fps

Today, I changed the 7900 GT for a 4870

1440x900 for both

No Postprocess

No Filtering

Very Low Terrain

AA, Shadow and everything else on High

Vista Ultimate SP1 = 31 fps

XP Pro SP3 = 44 fps

According to these results, there is no doubt that I'll be using XP to play Arma 2. But I would like to understand...

How come there is such a huge difference between the 2 OS with the 4870?

Cheers

XP is less demanding, running less tasks then vista by default and is also more tweaked since it's been around longer, more service packs and such.

Edited by NodUnit

It's great, however whenever you look at the orange trees or a town, your frame rate gets slaughtered, even on a mid to high end card.

and Alimag, SP2 for vista is out... that should help some...

I played the demo probably for about an hour in total and had zero problems. No crashes, nothing. Just poor performance and poor visual quality - but that was expected as my computer is way below the minimum requirements.

This demo worked much much better than the demo of Armed Assault! That one was pretty much a PR disaster as far as I am concerned - it screwed up the graphics in a big way right from the first moment I got it running, and I had to switch the settings by myself to get it to even look like it is working correctly! I mean it can work slow that's fine, but if the graphics are all really screwed up then that can't be right no matter if I have a fast or slow computer. This ArmA 2 demo did not screw up graphics on this slow computer which is mostly the same as the one which was used to try the demo of Armed Assault for the first time. The first impression is extremely important and with this new ArmA 2 demo it is certainly much better. BIS has made progress.

Maybe old news, but you can have some additional fun with the demo editor if you learn how to place stuff by trigger execution. I.e. many things are 'missing' from the editor as valid options, but here is how to place (some) of them:

veh = createVehicle ["Gue_WarfareBLightFactory", getMarkerPos "mkr1", [], 0, "FLY"]; veh = createVehicle ["GUE_WarfareBAntiAirRadar", getMarkerPos "mkr2", [], 0, "FLY"];

The other createVehicle syntax might work too, didn't try it.

Classnames of stuff to try here. Obviously you won't get everything to work, as the demo has been cut down in size by removing some addons. But it gives you more to play with than what the editor has enabled.

Bug: the aircraft radar object when destroyed is not lowered significantly. The rotating 'dish' will continue to rotate above ground afterwards.

Really. If I want to drop to a knee then I dont think about it for a while, then decide yes i'll do it and then take another little while to physically do it. I just do it. And it I want to go prone I'll go prone in the same manner, and funnily enough I didn't mind if I skinned my elbows when I did it or had a booboo with my knee.

Your exaggerating a bit here mate. The speed of their movements resembles that of a soldier getting set on his knees. Can a person physically drop a speed knee in Rl -of course. Matter of fact when I watch combat footage in the ME, the movements of soldiers even under fire tend to be methodical rather than scramble your a$$ off. Now if you were talking about a 'panic' button like "sprawl for your life"; maybe shift+X or Z, I don't see a problem with it, but overall the biomechanics of the soldiers feel truer to life than most shooters. If you know a shooter with a more legitimate movement feel, feel free to post em up.

Oh, just remembered another rather serious bug, one that has been around for a while:

Dropping a Stinger missile, it have no ammo bag shown, meaning it is too easy to actually loose. In Arma1 and ACE, this wasn't fixed until the end life of Arma1 (not everyone had Adnys mags I guess).

Oh, and for the love of God, pleeeaaaase give us something better than generic ammobags for everything.

I can never carry people, they just slide on the ground next to me.

I had to update a few drivers, but this game looks great once you finally have a chance to play.

Got the demo up and running last night, steam version

my spec:

E6600 @stock

GeForce gtx260+

2gb ram

1x 320mb sata hdd(system/program files)

1x 160mb sata hdd(page file/bt/crap storage)

asus p5b deluxe

creative sb x-fi

in game setting:

1920x1080(22" native)

fillrate 100%

VD: 2500

AF: very high

AA: low

pp: disabled

texture: normal

terrain: very high

object: normal

VM: normal

so far i have only been reassigning keys and are able to run the benchmarking mission once which tells me avg fps at 35

Edited by 4 IN 1

for an AMD athlon 2300 (@1.5 Ghz) and 2 gig old corsair ram, and NVIDIA 7600 GS.. not too shabby!

for an AMD athlon 2300 (@1.5 Ghz) and 2 gig old corsair ram, and NVIDIA 7600 GS.. not too shabby!

Now that's amazing :eek:

First off, great demo guys! I just love the immersiveness in this game. Can't wait for my full game copy to arrive.

One question though; why does my PRNTSCRN screenshots turn out all black? I run a dual-monitor setup, the "game" monitor is all black, while the other shows my desktop background.

Great game it should be! Without question, I would pay it at the earliest time for getting a game disc.

Hi all

Really. If I want to drop to a knee then I dont think about it for a while, then decide yes i'll do it and then take another little while to physically do it. I just do it. And it I want to go prone I'll go prone in the same manner, and funnily enough I didn't mind if I skinned my elbows when I did it or had a booboo with my knee.

You can not drop to the ground in less than 1 second.

Physics people. You are more than 1m tall. Earth's gravitational acceleration at sea level, 9.80665 meters per second per second.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Gotta say I'm loving this game... can't wait for the full version!

Although I have had numerous CTD using the demo... and I can't get my Graphics cards to work in crossfire (none of the suggested work arounds have worked for me :() - hope ATI come out with a hot fix soon.

I'm dissapointed that yet again the developers have chosen to handicap people with less powerful computers by including fancy waving, highly detailed grass.

This grass kills my framerate, it did in Arma 1. But in Arma 1 I could at least run Kegetys low detail plant mod which lowered the polys on the grass. Unfortunately, thanks to the hackers of Arma 1, Sig checks eventually came into force which meant I couldn't use the mod anymore. From then on I could only play on servers whos owners were clever enough to figure out how to set terraingrid to 50 on both the server and mission (not many).

Now the stupid grass is back, and it's enough to make me pass on Arma 2. I really don't feel like running the game on super low detail JUST to make up for wavey grass that I don't want, when I know full well I could run the game on high detail if the grass wasn't there or could be set in the options to have less polys.

Thats all I want, Suma - an option in the graphics menu to have low, medium or high grass detail. You'd make the game playable for thousands of people who don't have the latest hardware.

FYI I have an Nvidia 8600GT and an Intel E2180 processor - yeah not cutting edge but i can run other, modern games at medium or high detail just fine. Arma is the only game that becomes unplayable, and its simply because of the grass and its unalterable level of detail.

Hi all

You can not drop to the ground in less than 1 second.

Physics people. You are more than 1m tall. Earth's gravitational acceleration at sea level, 9.80665 meters per second per second.

Kind Regards walker

Maybe you can't, but I certainly can.

About the demo, playing with a 360 controller (the default 360 setup) 2 things:

1. Were is INVERT LOOK????????? (for mouse yeah, for 360 controller?? no???)

2. How to free look?? (In Elite you'd pull left trigger, but in ArmA2?)

(3. were is the 360 version ...j/k)

This grass kills my framerate

QFT! I have to say with the grass, a scaling option which could lower poly count and make grass static would do wonders for the performance of everyone who's not running a quad core with 8GB ram and a massive gfx card.

Hi, other bug that i've seen in the Demo is with the glasses, they don't show any texture

in the player profile, so i didn't used any in the game; i guess that they won't work too.

ArmA2_Bug_09.jpg

There it's. Let's C ya