492 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the demo?

• the demo is great
    • the demo is good
    • the demo is so-so
    • the demo is not good, I do not like the game
    • the demo is not good, I have problems installing it
    • the demo is not good, I have problems playing it

does this mean i will ahve a problemw ith the game when it comes out?

i need to know this before i go and pre-order the game today

i need to know this before i go and pre-order the game today

I would believe so... you need gfx card with shader model 3.

just to give a little feedback on MY OWN impressions on the game based on the demo I just downloaded. All I can say is thank god I got the demo before buying the game. The control system is clunky and awkward and aiming, the one fundamental thing in any fps, is really clunky. While moving you can hardly see a thing due to some kind of blur and jerkiness, it takes ages for the character to do anything like dropping to one knee or even switching to hand grenades. The model's for buildings are all the same as Arma1 and there are even building models from OFP 8 years ago! (watchtower's). The weapons are the same as arma with the same sounds allthough the pistols seem to be a bit better.

The AI is as dumb as ever with the enemy standing upright in the open shooting down the street never looking around them. My AI teamates are retarded and keep getting lost or walking straight into the open instead of stopping at the corner (with their famed cm accuracy) to cover the street for everyone else.

The whole game just seems to be really slow, everything is slow, trying to aim is slow, changing postion(prone, kneeling, standing) is slow, anything to do with the action menu is slow including trying to drag an injured squadmate.

Overall I find this game just an expansion pack for arma1, other than a few nicer sounds and some more graphics, its EXACTLY the same as arma1 with some addons. I was really looking forward to this game but yet again I am very dissapointed. I have bought ofp, ofp:res and arma1 but I probably wont be buying arma2 as I'm just sick of the same problems of stupid AI and clunky controls as these two things ruin the experience for me.

@urbanwarrior mate all I can say is either you have a bad pc or your settings are all wrong... the demo I downloaded is pretty good I have quick response to KB and mouse input on mid to high settings.

All with no tweaking I am sure I will be able to get it looking even better.

NME AI may be a bit dumb but not as dumb as Friendly AI... MY TEAM KEEP SHOOTING ME!!!!!!!

I have restarted mission many times but after beach landing upto houses after while my own team will kill me even at close range.

Anyone else had this happen? I cannot play because they target me... am I missing something?

Edited by dogz

@urbanwarrior mate all I can say is either you have a bad pc or your settings are all wrong... the demo I downloaded is pretty good I have quick response to imput on mid to high settings.

All with no tweaking.

NME AI may be a bit dumb but not as dumb as Friendly AI... MY TEAM KEEP SHOOTING ME!!!!!!!

I have restarted mission many times but after beach landing upto houses after while my own team will kill me even at close range.

Anyone else had this happen? I cannot play because they target me... am I missing something?

My system isn't a massive spec but its not bad either (lets face it not everyone is going to have a top of the range PC) and I have detail on low to try and get the clunkiness to go away but it doesn't. The bobbing up and down while running makes me almost dizzy after a while.

My frindly ai dont shoot me on the beach landing, instead they just get lost and broken up. Some stay and hold a building without moving forward while other guys go running off into the surrounding fields! I initally thought this may have been a smart feature like flanking or whatever but no, its just dumb confused AI.

Just like Arma, this game is not polished, the only difference this time is I didn't pay for it.

Edited by urbanwarrior

My impressions: VERY sluggish, even on very low, minimal VD and minimal resolution the game feels all sluggish and just generally not fun to play...

I also don't see the massive improvements i was hearing about from everyone else.. I'll try fiddling with my drivers or something but at the moment its unplayable, and i have a low spec but it meets the minimum requirements.. Average FPS is 19 on the benchmark, but theres a delay between keyboard and mouse input and the actions on the screen, so it doesnt really feel like i'm 'playing' the game..

it takes ages for the character to do anything like dropping to one knee or even switching to hand grenades....

The whole game just seems to be really slow, everything is slow, trying to aim is slow, changing postion(prone, kneeling, standing) is slow,.

This is good because this game isn't counter-strike or unreal tournament.

Concerning the controls : practice makes perfect.

The AI is as dumb as ever with the enemy standing upright in the open shooting down the street never looking around them. My AI teamates are retarded and keep getting lost or walking straight into the open instead of stopping at the corner (with their famed cm accuracy) to cover the street for everyone else.

Wholeheartedly disagree here. I stopped playing Arma long ago exactly for that reason; that being, the friendly AI was a nightmare to navigate when entering urban areas getting stuck behind the most obscure things. Much better in ARMA2 where I haven't lost a squad member yet to mindless pathfinding. In Arma, the enemy AI just didn't make any sense, seeming totally clueless on what they were trying to do:Stop,Move, lay down, run around like a headless chicken and they couldn't find you if you weaved thru urban area. Arma2, I have been actually hunted, with enemy AI using small gaps in walls, peeking out and sprinting immediately for cover when I return fire -that NEVER happened in Arma despite well intentioned modders.

Overall, I'm very happy with the infantry Ai although the driving AI seems to have taken a few steps backwards.

wtf, how do I solve this problem, my computer has windows vista 64 bits, and its fully capable of running the game.

Ill be pleased if someone tells me how to fix this.

wtf, how do I solve this problem, my computer has windows vista 64 bits, and its fully capable of running the game.

Ill be pleased if someone tells me how to fix this.

Reinstall DirectX 9. This solution is in several threads already..

The demo is really good quality for a demo, played the campaign mission about 10 times now and no bugs found, I get a steady FPS of 35 on High/Very High, editor is good and boot camp missions are a lot of fun.

One thing which stood out was the AI, they cover fellow team mates while they cross open areas and roads, they are quick and react fast, and they use cover very well, and how well they fought in Urban areas stunned me.

Controls are fast and responsive, easy to learn, especially great in a fast-paced fire fight.

Generally, I am really impressed and will be getting the boxed version ASAP.

Nice Work BIS, from what I've seen already, this could maybe be a candidate for Game of the Year...

Edited by Blackhawk

This is good because this game isn't counter-strike or unreal tournament.

Concerning the controls : practice makes perfect.

get over yourself mate and stop trying to flamebait. No-one here said they wanted arma2 to be like counter-strike or UT so why mention it unless to antagonise. And how the hell would practice make the controls any faster or less clunky. You seem to think anyone who doesn't think arma2 is awesome is simply a ninja COD4 player.

dude you need a better power supply, this is not enough 4 your graphics card. I can reccomend CORSAIR CMPSU-520HXEU (or 600): http://zasilacze.info/produkty.php?id=641&kategoria_id=243& its really cool and almost noiseless.

Kyle_K_ski:

download ArmA2 demo once again from here:

http://www.fangaming.com/download.php?fileid=6248

I dont think it's my psu.. asked around on several hardware forums and they all say it should be enough. I would try to reinstall the demo but it's from steam and then i would have to dl al of it again :(

"cannot find X3DAudio1_6.dll" :391:

Windows Vista x64, working fine and and 100% up to date (newest DirectX and all system updates). demo awaited for years and postponed many times. FAILURE BOHEMIA. :(

I have the same problem. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

get over yourself mate and stop trying to flamebait. No-one here said they wanted arma2 to be like counter-strike or UT so why mention it unless to antagonise. And how the hell would practice make the controls any faster or less clunky. You seem to think anyone who doesn't think arma2 is awesome is simply a ninja COD4 player.

I wasn't trying to flamebait, lmao. Anyway I'm fine with the pace of the game, I think it is a good enough simulation of reality :irl, switching weapons to hand grenade takes time; running 50 meter with several pounds of gear on the back then dropping to one knee and shooting at a target takes time too. This is the good thing in this game, you must be very cautious and plan in advance all your moves : people who try to rush, or rely solely on their reflex cannot be successful. And practicing the controls until you know them by heart will make your more efficient with them, thus practice makes perfect.

I wasn't trying to flamebait, lmao. Anyway I'm fine with the pace of the game, I think it is a good enough simulation of reality :irl, switching weapons to hand grenade takes time; running 50 meter with several pounds of gear on the back then dropping to one knee and shooting at a target takes time too. This is the good thing in this game, you must be very cautious and plan in advance all your moves : people who try to rush, or rely solely on their reflex cannot be successful. And practicing the controls until you know them by heart will make your more efficient with them, thus practice makes perfect.

Quite true. I like the feeling of weight and inertia and now that we can reload on the run, it's very satisfying. Once in a while I'll try one of the other shooters out there and it just always feels like a ghost head zipping along with mindless speed with no real weight behind it.

Hi Fernando,

It is not the newest Direct X 10 you need. You need DX9. Just download DX9 (ver. C ??) and run it. It will patch what is missing from the ver. 10 install.

Cheers

*Head desks several times, lifting hands with a sign that says "read the bottom of the first post".*

Practice with the controle doesn't make them faster lmao. It might make you hit the right key faster but it doesn't stop you having to go through a menu or postion yourself in the exact right position next to an injured guy in order to utilise an action. And how does dropping to a knee take a long time, getting up might take a long time but not dropping to a knee, unless gravity has changed since I last felt its effects. And also you mention you cant rely on reflex to gain an edge, why not? surely thats the point.

And how does dropping to a knee take a long time, getting up might take a long time but not dropping to a knee, unless gravity has changed since I last felt its effects. .

Really? Dropping in just around 1 second is too slow? You don't just let gravity have it's way when you drop to a knee, especially over rough or hard surfaces. Muscles do fire eccentrically to brake the descent and prevent damage to the most unstable joint in the human body -the knee.

Not to mention if you are going to be walking looong distances the last thing you want to do is accidentally smash your knee.

DEMObench1.jpg

XP os

Intel C2D e7400 @ 3.2

Asus P5N32-SLI Premium

Corsair XMS2 pc6400 4Gb

BFG GTX 275 oc

74 Gb Western Digital HDD

700 watt ThermalTake psu

X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

I use shortcut parameter -maxmem=2047

- Few crashes sometimes. So game still needs patches.

- Game sometimes stops to receiving data from server when trying to enter battle.

- Also lightning is messed up on some objects.

- General performance needs always attention.

Some wishes:

- Smoother movement. Not faster, Smoother!

- Increase crash and bushes draw distance. People are hiding in middle of plain land, when they think they are hidden.

- Let player stop some action like reloading or climping over object.

Edit:

Even that soldier would carry 100kg with him hi can still move smoothly, but not stop or start moving instantly or make instant turns.

Edited by Sturmer

Really? Dropping in just around 1 second is too slow? You don't just let gravity have it's way when you drop to a knee, especially over rough or hard surfaces. Muscles do fire eccentrically to brake the descent and prevent damage to the most unstable joint in the human body -the knee.

Really. If I want to drop to a knee then I dont think about it for a while, then decide yes i'll do it and then take another little while to physically do it. I just do it. And it I want to go prone I'll go prone in the same manner, and funnily enough I didn't mind if I skinned my elbows when I did it or had a booboo with my knee.