492 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the demo?

• the demo is great
    • the demo is good
    • the demo is so-so
    • the demo is not good, I do not like the game
    • the demo is not good, I have problems installing it
    • the demo is not good, I have problems playing it

man the demo played sweet - a little smoother than my 1.02 version. and that extra mission (warfare SP) was fun.

great work BIS!

After a some DirectX issues, I managed to launch and play the demo last night.

1.) I did not have a single crash during my 1.5 hrs of play time.

2.) I agree with others that the blur effect is wholly unnecessary and sometimes distracting

3.) While the sounds are much better than "stock" A1 sounds, I found the levels to be

somewhat jumpy and at times louder or softer than they should be at a given

distance

4.) I found there to be lag between mouse and screen reaction time (possibly h/w

deficiency on my end? Will experiment more tonight)

5.) Voices are bordering on horrible. I'll try again with Radio volume completely off

tonight

6.) Vehicle steering is very sensitive, although I'll adapt to this over time

Overall, I hope this feedback is welcomed as constructive. I will say that when the demo works, it works very, very well. I've never played a game with this level of immersion (besides A1) and I'm confident that future patches will iron-out these relatively issues. Furthermore, I'm still going to purchase the full game tonight and will enjoy playing it. Although, I'm going to have to buy a new vid card as this one ain't cutting the mustard.

My specs:

Intel "Bad Axe2" mobo

e6600 C2Duo OC'd to 3.0ghz

2gb OCZ RAM

8600gt Vid Card (Yes, I know)

Q6600 @ 3GHZ

Nvidia 8800 GTS 512 (G92 variant) slightly overclocked

4 GB RAM

Windows vista 32

20" LCD 1680 * 1050

In game benchmark:

Both benchmanr were taken with no AA and Aniso on Normal

With everything on high = 32FPS average

With everything on Normal = 35 fps average

You see what's happening here? this game is very CPU intensive, I am limited by my CPU and not by my semi-old GPU.

I'll try to overclock a little bit more my CPU, but it's summer here and I don't know if it'll be worthy.

Compared to my initial experiences with ARMA (I had nearly same configuration/hardware then as I do now except new video card and using Windows 7) I am shocked by the quality of their first release as ARMA was unplayable for me for years.

I can't wait until the download unlocks for the full version on STEAM. The game ran super smooth on high, love all the new effects and the feel of the game. It is much more intuitive and smoother than ARMA.

Even more so, I was so worried with the hardware compatibility issues in ARMA that I could bet my life I'd have issues just running ARMA 2 due to the fact that I am using Windows 7 x64 and did not think it was a supported OS, at least not initially.

The game started up no problems. Completed the first mission, had a blast, no problems. Tried multiplayer but all populated servers either locked or had some kind of timeout issue so no go on that yet.

Overall, I have high hopes for the full version and looking forward to trying out the multiplayer.

okay, I've played the entire demo now.

Played training twice, Trial by fire two and a half times and the Warfare thing once.

Loving it. never crashed once, performance is pretty good. Like I mentioned before, standard settings for headbobbing was excessive, I decreased it to half. Blur makes it hard to spot enemies, I disabled Post Processing which I think helped a little.

I am now used to the controls, but the squad commands seems to work slightly differently from OFP/ARMA? Just takes some time getting used to, I guess. Might play some more Warfare.

but I am definitly buying the game. not exactly sure when, but I will buy it! I'd like to have the Steam version, but it's more expensive, and my favourite retailer is all sold out, been so since day 1 (!) with no new shipment date.

Um I'v downloaded the demo and everything, but its calling it an unknown file type. I read that by adding .exe this can be resolved, but that hasn't worked either. Do I have to redownload? Any advice here would be great. :)

Thanks guys,

Hayden

Welcome to the forum.

If you're Hayden Panettierre, fly me out to your house and I'll be happy to be your tech-support guy. :756:

Sorry, but I downloaded from armedassault . info, and they had a .zip file. I had to extract the .zip file and then run the .exe that resulted.

Well I won't be getting this game!

Graphics aren't to bad but the play motion is terribly laggy and the controls setup system is terrible as well. Most archaic way to setup all the key presses that I've ever seen, plus when the keyboard display is shown the key presses chosen are not shown. Weapon zooming is way to slow.

WXP Pro x64

i7 965

GTX295

Graphics aren't to bad but the play motion is terribly laggy and the controls setup system is terrible as well. Most archaic way to setup all the key presses that I've ever seen, plus when the keyboard display is shown the key presses chosen are not shown. Weapon zooming is way to slow.

WXP Pro x64

i7 965

GTX295

As apposed to the console demo....?

And did you really register just to post that the games not for you?

What are you guys getting as an average FPS??? And what have you done to raise it??

I went from 19FPS on very high with anti-alising. To 25 just by turning the AA off.

On 19 FPS the game still looked and ran fairly well.:bounce3:

And the rest of the world cares?

Maybe some sort of tweaking is in order but this game is about realism not fragrate. Maybe its to slow pace for you anyway. Even on my old computer I find the gameplay smooth, however I had to do alot of fixes in options to get it too run good. Its much better then ARMAI anyway in any aspect so Im in heaven. :)

56 average Fps all settings set to Normal

Cheers

Weapon zooming is indeed a bit slow, but controls are nice to my own taste and you can remap the keys if you think otherwise.

rant rant rant

WXP Pro x64

i7 965

GTX295

cool story bro

-reported

WXP Pro x64

i7 965

GTX295

I hated Arma2 on day one, then by day two it was growing on me. Now I love it and am finally configuring it to suit myself. (Nostromo n52 + FreeTrack :icon_hug: )

The keypresses can ALL be re-assigned, obviously. Also, are you maybe confusing the 'motion blur' effects with lag?

The game won't be for everyone as it really needs HOURS of play when you're new to this series it seems, before you start to get the hang of it.

I'm now firmly in the 'best FPS I ever played' opinion camp and, as an ex squaddie, suddenly find my RL skills and knowledge give me an advantage for the first time ever in a game :D

To be fair if you're willing to give up on it so quickly (not that it is inherently bad to do so), then it just isn't your game. If the ambition of the game doesn't capture you, it is unlikely to do so at a later date, either.

I don't think it should be thrown in the 'FPS' category since when you say that to someone unfamiliar with Arma then they immediately think fast paced like BF2, AA3, etc. I try to explain it as a combat simulator with fps, rts and flight sim aspects, all rolled into a package that can grow on folks.

Holy crap mate, how do you get by with a system like that? Should count your licky stars you got it to start :).

Its a case of us having to! :D

Would it be possible/legal for someone to post the benchmark mission pbo o sqm ?

I have the full retail version and would love to benchmark my rig on the same conditions as everyone else but it feels pointless to download 2gigs of redundant data just for this bit...

Shouldn't we keep this thread about demo impressions?

Sorry, I hate to be a Naggy Nelly.:j:

Well, I found out the hard way that my video card was not supported (I had visions of testing at low settings, anyways), but, I must say, that is one slamming install song!

My monitor always goes on standbuy after playing this game for a while :s

I wanted to try it on normal.. but my pc turned off.. :S

"cannot find X3DAudio1_6.dll" :391:

Windows Vista x64, working fine and and 100% up to date (newest DirectX and all system updates). demo awaited for years and postponed many times. FAILURE BOHEMIA. :(