492 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the demo?

• the demo is great
    • the demo is good
    • the demo is so-so
    • the demo is not good, I do not like the game
    • the demo is not good, I have problems installing it
    • the demo is not good, I have problems playing it

Congrats on the demo bis it is awesome :D - though I had problems in multiplayer with missions not restarting and everyone having to vote to restart and even then sometimes not spawning...:( (warfare mode)

Can't wait until the next patch/hotfix for retail release!

If THAT is not smooth then perhaps the counter is lying?

I had a similar experience in crysis' sandbox 2. It showed me as having 15-30 fps jumps while visually it was obvious I was getting maybe 5 or 9.

Well, it hangs every now and then. THis is what makes it not smooth. Does the same thing in gameplay.

i can only play the demo at 16 frames in windowed mode. Good bye Arma II , it must be a great game in a computer that can handle it :(

Well. I like that demo a lot. Camera shaking is very nice and graphic details are also smooth and beautiful. No big annoying bugs were found, or I didnt care about them. Couple of smaller ones.

I got average FPS 40 (didnt change any settings, just default). I guess I have to go and buy the game today :bounce3:

But now I'll go and play some ultrarealistic BF Heroes for a while... :)

Edited by noobysnipa

I will try to post on this thread as often as possible to DISMISS the notion that you need to have a great system to play Arma2.My rig is worth right now about 500$(if that) and I've played all night with Arma 2 demo,joined multiplayer sessions,fiddled in the editor and I've got awesome results on my ageing bottlenecked by a paltry 1,98 ghz CPU system.

The 4770 ati card that's worth 90$ handles almost anything I throw at it in Arma 2,the CPU is the only bottleneck and very possibly RAM.

But enough words,here is a screenshot with settings and FPS to prove my point:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5953/arma2fps.jpg

Arma 2 benchmark mission average FPS:25 FPS last time,will test again now that I've found the settings sweet spot.

If THAT is not smooth then perhaps the counter is lying?

I had a similar experience in crysis' sandbox 2. It showed me as having 15-30 fps jumps while visually it was obvious I was getting maybe 5 or 9.

That's because a simple FPS count doesn't say anything about how smooth the game is running. You could be getting 60fps, with all 60 frames crammed into the first half of the second and the second half being zero. In theory it would still be 60fps but it would play like shit. Of course, this is an extreme example.

What's more interesting are the highest frame intervals. Arma2 has some interesting functions to test this, using the diag_fps and diag_fpsmin commands. In fact I'm creating a new benchmark mission, similar to ArmaMark2, that actually compares your average main and average low framerates to see in which situations you are experiencing stuttering. :)

i can only play the demo at 16 frames in windowed mode. Good bye Arma II , it must be a great game in a computer that can handle it :(

What Specs ?

Well. I like that demo a lot. Camera shaking is very nice and graphic details are also smooth and beautiful. No big annoying bugs were found, or I didnt care about them. Couple of smaller ones.

I got average FPS 40 (didnt change any settings, just default). I guess I have to go and buy the game today :bounce3:

But now I'll go and play some ultrarealistic BF Heroes for a while... :)

Are you using the Benchmark mission for these 40 fps? I don't see how you can be out-benching me at default...

CPU: Amd Athlon 3200+

RAM: 2 GB

GPU: Nvidia 7800 GTX

Wish me luck.... :D

@ All : defrag your HDD after installing the demo. The game is very sensitive to it due to streaming technology. I will help reduce some stuttering.

Ouch... I think you may need more than luck :(

If the pattern persists....you will probably do better than me :P

@ All : defrag your HDD after installing the demo. The game is very sensitive to it due to streaming technology. I will help reduce some stuttering.

I am DLing SmartDefrag as we speak to keep this RAID0 nice and nonfragmented. Will update if it improves, but since I just reformatted last week.. I wouldn't count on it.

Does the ARMA 2 demo contain SECUROM ? or any other copy protection?

In a word, no.

How can I verify this?

Thanks ! :D

It is a demo. <-- First clue.

Actually, if you took the time to read what was poping up it may have made your experiance a bit eaiser.

Its tells you the keys, for the MOUNT course, you do relaise that there was more than 1 opfor riiight ?

TBH ... this is not a game for you... oh and it seems you have issues with key bindings in and out of game, so here is somthing that may help you further develop in all forms of computing..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrage_return

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Your last event log pointed to audio subsystem / module issue have you tried a driver change for audio ?

Also... you have OC'd right ? how long did you run prime / orthos to ensure its all stable ? 12-24 Hours ? What is the CPU temp @ 4-5 hour prime test ? and what is the temp when the game crashes ?

Did you also run a several hour memtest 2 that clock speed ?

Does the game crash or blue screen @ default / stock CPU speeds ?

blahn blah "Its tells you the keys, for the MOUNT course, you do relaise that there was more than 1 opfor riiight ?

"

the MOUT course? you mean the Military Operations for Urban Terrains thing? yes I realize that there were more than one ppl in the WOODS.

So I played the training and it was very playable on my old rig and the default settings were all normal and post processing on high with 1500m distance, but then I started a mission and it wasn't playable lol,wanted to change some stuff but then my monitor was shut down and couldnt do aything but thats prolly my pc.

Anyone knows what settings i should use what to put on low and such with my rig

P4 3.0ghz HT

9600gt

2gb ram

Alright folks I got rid of vista and am back on XP, gonna give this game another go in hopes that it performs well enough for me to unlock the full version in Approx. 15 hours :)

AMD Phenom 9600 2.3Ghz Quad-Core

4GB Corsair XMS DDR2 Ram

Nvidia 9800GTX+

Windows XP SP3

BTW a couple of people so far have had a launch error with the demo: "Demo failed to launch, X3DAudio1_6.dll was not found" You need to make sure you have the latest Directx 9 Redistributable installed:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

:D

hi all, iv downloaded this & run the ms download still getting the x3daudio1_6 problem.

can some one put a link up to a fix:D

my bad theres a few threads about this...still confused by it all:bye:

Edited by Dragbag

My old system can actually run the DEMO, RIG is:

Pentium 4, 3ghz, 2G mem ddr400, Radeon X1950 Pro 512mb

EDIT: I'll point out all my Feedbacks/Suggestions in this post and edit it with time. Will use this post as reference in other threads with the objective to facilitate BIS Developers search.

Observations, turned into suggestions:

• Negative: BIS should fix some of the ShadowLods house models because they are not correctly working when shadows are set on "Very High Detail", this means the shadow does not affect the body and weapon when 1st person view is selected. A say again, only in some models. Example from Demo version:
Picture, and the ShadowLOD bugs respective thread here

• Negative: Binoculars should work inside vehicles ->
Respective suggestion post.

• Negative: Binoculars animation and its use needs to be improved. This problem happens when you are in prone position with binoculars and press to get up, the player gets up and automatically pick up the rifle and then go back to binoculars.
    Also would like to be able to hold the binoculars not being forced to look trough them even though i have selected them. Would be nice to use some kind of V key to control eider look trough them or keep them down but ready to use, so we would be able to see whats around us in a general way without actually removing the binoculars from our hands changing to other weapon. ->
Respective Binocular suggestion thread.

• Negative: More Realistic Stars ->
Respective suggestion thread.

• Negative: I think there should be 2 more Animation while Looking and Aiming. ->

• Negative: There are some sounds that needs to be fixed because they sound unnatural and destroys the realistic immersion. ->

• Negative: Useful radio communication, more human. ->
Respective suggestion post.

• Negative: Gunner/Commander ZoomIN BUG, "AGAIN". ->
Respective bug report post.

• Positive: I must say i was not expecting to play this with my system. I'm happy so far :yay: (I can play it at low settings but i prefer to have a fluid game, so i changed the settings to very low and changed some lowered some settings in the advanced mode.

• Positive: We can keep the old profiles, all you need is to change the name to "username.ArmA2DemoProfile" and old ARMA1 keys and settings will be ready. Using this its easy to compare how ARMA2 runs comparing to ARMA1.

• Positive: I like all the available options all very useful

• Positive: The helicopter piloting is awesome, much more improved then ArmA1 also TrackIr feeling.

• Positive: The performance is very nice, comparing to ArmA1 with the same System i would say ARMA2 runs better then ARMA1.

• Positive: Also i like the way it loads the map.. much faster then in ARMA1

• Positive: We can keep the old profiles, all you need is to change the name to "username.ArmA2DemoProfile" and old ARMA1 keys and settings will be ready. Using this its easy to compare how ARMA2 runs comparing to ARMA1.

• Positive: I like all the available game option settings, all very useful

Edited by bravo 6

Looks like Arma2 scales pretty well to older systems. :)

Do you or anyone else also get increased stuttering when running around far out in the randomly generated terrain?

WTF!? something is very wrong. changing the graphics settings does not make a difference at all to my FPS. i cant get over 22 no matter how high or with everything to its lowest possible setting, hell i even put the resolution to 680x400 and fillrate to 83% along wit no view distance. c'mon!!!! i cant go any lower and i still cant top 22 fps?!?!?!?!

i noticed that towns some how magically eat your speed by 10-7 frames per second

is anyone else getting this?

I was playing Arma 1 on very high/high settings with shadows and post processing off and i would average around 30 fps.

i know my rig is not the top of the line but i can play other games much smoother with higher settings

ATi radeon 3200

AMD turion 2.1 dual core

3gb Ram

Vista x86

Gotta say I'm loving the new suspension system, wheeled IFV's aren't so easily taken out of work now which is great but even better is that the vehicles are somewhat unique to their type pending on how low the wheel goes.

LAV for example will continue lowering the shocks the farther down the tire goes but other vehicles will actually tilt.

It was nice to see infantry standing animations while they simply stand idle, no longer quite like statues and of course it was impressively immersive that the camera actually follows the characters head movement now (though a bit annoying in standing still where the head just keeps moving back by a few pixels).

I unfortunately am not able to test much in the ways of gunfights and other things considering my dinosaur of a system and that my video cards drivers do not like the game to the point that the grass was rainbow colored and all smoke particles were as well, it was like a party! (actually fun in a way...)

No CTD's or any problems.