492 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the demo?

• the demo is great
    • the demo is good
    • the demo is so-so
    • the demo is not good, I do not like the game
    • the demo is not good, I have problems installing it
    • the demo is not good, I have problems playing it

This game is absolutely amazing, I was defiantly not expecting it to be this good.

The realism is outrageous.

I can't speak for the demo nor your specific rig but for me a lot of tweaking with settings on my video card, trying different drivers,trying different fillrates(under your resolution box) defragging the HD, using the -maxmem command, and using Armaholic's optimization tweak signifigantly improved things.

8500 oced' 3.8

4870 oc'ed 790/1100

4 gigs 800 ram

vista 64

-maxmem?

when i install the demo, i get this error. wtf dose it mean?!?!?

armawtfw.jpg

Edited by Kolt

I'm not even going to pretend I know exactly what or why it works but try adding this in your target line of your Arma2 shortcut under properties:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -maxmem=2047

I have pretty much the same specs but my monitor is 1860 x 1050

I wonder how it will run, i've been downloading the demo since it came out and it's still a good 4 more hours to go...

You'll proberbly get something like me but a couple of fps lower because of your resolution.

You'll proberbly get something like me but a couple of fps lower because of your resolution.

I imagine it wouldn't hurt too much to lower the resolution (I have the same native 1680x1050 res). I'll be trying different things out once the demo finishes downloading for me. I wanna mess with that fillrate a lot to see what results I can pull.

The demo is good, almost has me convinced to buy the game. I haven't played the entire demo, will do the rest tomorrow.

First impressions:

Friendly AI seems to rush into combat, which gets them killed quite often. First time I played Trial by Fire (?) they were all wiped out before we even got to the final target.

All the post processing makes it extremely hard to spot enemies. I find myself going into Third Person + Zooming to scan for enemies. IMO too much blur on distant objects. heck, probably too much blur on everything.

Standard setting for head bobbing was pretty extreme. I never had any problems with nausea while playing games, but ARMA2 was damn near. I halved it and it was perfect.

Other than that it was great fun. A bit hard to get used to controlling helicopters again, and the cars are very easy to over and under steer.

It's also a very generous demo, has a lot of content!

edit: oh, performance was great. I was expecting a laggy mess, but it actually runs pretty nice at 1680x1050 Med/High on my rig:

A64 X2 6000+ @ 3,3GHz

6GB RAM

HD4850 512MB

Edited by Cirap

Can someone, that owns the game, compare the performance of the demo, to the actual game?

Demo is awesome, hard, yet awesome. I will most likely purchase the game. But there are problems, obviously.

On occasion, I end up getting stuck in prone position. When I tell him to stand, he stands up then goes prone right after.

Awesome demo, thanks for letting us all try the game out! My game runs pretty great so I'm sure my computer can handle the game.

Demo is awesome, hard, yet awesome. I will most likely purchase the game. But there are problems, obviously.

On occasion, I end up getting stuck in prone position. When I tell him to stand, he stands up then goes prone right after.

Awesome demo, thanks for letting us all try the game out! My game runs pretty great so I'm sure my computer can handle the game.

it means your to hurt to stand up , call for medic , you can press num enter to change to 3rd person view to see if you have lots of blood over you..

The demo is quite nice and performance is of course good as the map size is only small part of real one (and of course demo map works with full Arma2 as well). Nice to see that AA setting works with the shadows.

I had a problem with player settings. I tried to create other profile and game crashed. Started it again and new profile was created and selected but when I tried to switch back to default profile it crashed again.

-KJT-

So far the demo runs smoother, has working AA on a pull down menu, hasn't crashed yet and has improved frames.

Retail is a bit behind the demo, is there anything else better in the demo you have spotted ?

It'll be a couple hours, but I'll post some SLI results as soon as I get home and get it installed.

BENCHMARK FPS 33 @ stock - let the overclocking commence!!

My specs are:

E6750 @ stock 2.66

4 GB G.skill @ 667

2X8800GT's in SLI

Res 1280X1024

At stock settings I'm at 12,500 on 3dmark06. Will post results as soon as I possibly can.

Edited by JDNA_reggie

The multiplayer typing bug is gone, where the keys you press would perform actions like leaning. :)

The multiplayer typing bug is gone, where the keys you press would perform actions like leaning. :)

That happens to me in the demo.

Any way to fix it?

DarkPhantom;1328755']Well play the demo for 2 hours after putting everything up on Very High and had no problem what so ever....

Congratulation Ondrej Spanel and Team on a excellent Demo.

Installing went in without any problems.[accept upgrade of directx]

Game play went like a breeze.

System set up

Dual Core2 E8500 3.0ghz 6mb L2

Dominator Corsair 2GB DDR2 1066

EN8800GTS TOP 512mb overlocked

Win XP

Nvidia 186.18 WHQL

You want to say that you play ArmA2 demo on VERY HIGH with 8800GTS ? :mad:

I have a full retail game patched to 1.02 and I am under 30 FPS constantly in campaign.....with overclocked 8800GTX...:hmmm:

It runs great on my computer

9800 gtx+

2.4 ghz quad core processor

3gb of ram DDR

Windows Vista 32 bit

I have a question though. In star sabor (or whatever), in the single player mission, I cannot join any of the AI's squads which takes away from the experience considering I'm all alone. How do you join them? Whenever I try it says I cannot leave team empty or whatever.

Wow. I've played it for a couple of hours or so, and I have no complains. The only thing I didn't like was that there was no sound when you opened a parachute. Other than that, I thought everything was ok. Driving skills for the AI are also not much of an issue, I like them so far.

Of course I hadn't tested everything but so far it seems fine. Finding AI enemies can be very tough, but when you have AI allies, and if you're not a leader it really isn't up to you, just shoot where they shoot basically and eventually you'll see them.

But I hadn't tried long range or massive armored battles yet so... I'll try that a little later.

I have done the boot camp and one single player mission, all high/very high except shadows and objects, a couple options medium too, 2700m vis..

My system; 1028 x 1024, quad 9400, 9600gt 512mb, 4MB ram.

Playable, pretty smooth for my taste, very good graphic quality/fps.

25-30 fps average.That is enough for me. For multiplayer perhaps i have to do some changes.

I am also with an old card driver so that could improve more the performance.

I had to change a bit color gamma and brightness there was too much white light all around.

Edited by katua

That happens to me in the demo.

Any way to fix it?

I don't know. Maybe it's not 100% fixed, i.e. some keys still perform actions. I didn't actually test everything. I had just typed a fairly long message in an MP game and realized afterward that my character didn't spaz out like before. I only actively tested my lean, crouch and prone keys, none of which performed the action while typing.

By the way, another possible improvement I noticed is that the game now seems to take advantage of more CPU power. With the full version I was generally seeing around 60% CPU utilization during play. The demo appears to be happy to use more like 80-90% in heavy scenes.

What muliplayer options are there in the demo? Is there co-op ?

You want to say that you play ArmA2 demo on VERY HIGH with 8800GTS ? :mad:

I have a full retail game patched to 1.02 and I am under 30 FPS constantly in campaign.....with overclocked 8800GTX...:hmmm:

Well the 8800 GTS 512 was released after the GTX it uses a improved core (G92) and it performs on par with the GTX and even better under certain games, its also more efficient in shader intensive games.

What muliplayer options are there in the demo? Is there co-op ?

I saw a co-op game in the server list. Haven't tried it.

If you have Dx10 installed, wouldn't it already have that dll?

no. Have to get some DX9 dll's.