Sign in to follow this  
--DST-- Anth

Grass on or off?

Grass in pvp games?  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Grass in pvp games?

• Yes
    • No

Turning grass off for the sake of kills is just ridicilous. But hey who am i to judge. :) Grass off game looks like orginal ofp.

Turning grass off for the sake of kills is just ridicilous. But hey who am i to judge. :) Grass off game looks like orginal ofp.

Gives completely unrealistic situations in PvP (people more visible, to say the least, at distance than close up)

Gives IA huge advantage in PvE.

Gives completely unrealistic situations in PvP (people more visible, to say the least, at distance than close up)

Gives IA huge advantage in PvE.

exactly.

The distance at which the grass disappears is so short I wonder why they even bothered making grass in the firstplace. Then again I also wonder why the let you set view distance up to 10,000 when vehicles disappear at 1800 (or something like that) regardless of your settings.

The ability to utilize grass to your advantage is just as much a skill as anything else. If anything grass as cover is one of the important pieces of "Field craft" that ARMA2 offers us.

Therefore yes. It should be enabled for everyone. Performance issues can't really be accounted for. I cannot play Arma2 on my old P3 500, therefore noone should play it? Ridiculous.

Agreed, grass makes for great cover and should be used by all. :bounce3:

It's only good cover if you're close to the enemy because at a certain distance grass disappears and they'll see you easily. The only vegetation to hide behind are trees and bushes.

Agreed, grass makes for great cover and should be used by all. :bounce3:

But... but... it DOESN'T work. It disappears! It's only a trick of your imagination.

You lie in the tall grass all sneaky and commando-like and what the enemy sees is a dude lying on the ground.

Grass in Arma is like closing your eyes to hide from the enemy.

for me it depends on the game mode. For ctf and dm grass isn't desired since I certainly won't be prone anyway, but all other game modes I appreciate the so called "tactical" advantage of the grass, or at least the potential of it.

With grass on, the one prone is usually the one to die, because he is blind while others see him, both players (above 45m) and AI (even though they are less likely to detect you in grass at any distance, it just doesn't seem to bother them much at all).

But... but... it DOESN'T work. It disappears! It's only a trick of your imagination.

You lie in the tall grass all sneaky and commando-like and what the enemy sees is a dude lying on the ground.

Grass in Arma is like closing your eyes to hide from the enemy.

It works against the AI, but not for humans (yet). It's been explained by the devs before.

IMO, it's good to turn it on for coop missions but off for PvP until BIS gets it working against players.

I vote yes. However, Maddmatt does have a point regarding the AI vs. Human standard regarding grass. I agree with him there as well.

Theres no sense in Grass in MP because a) much more performance is needed and b) grass is not rendered above some distance ...

so its nuts to feel save in grass ... or to think having more tactical advantages

even against bots i cant tell that it is working ... mostly the grass is too short to effectively hide you from their keen eyes

Edited by sempavieh

It doesn't really work against the AI. Sure devs say it affects the AI, but in practice this effect simply is not significant enough. When you lay in the grass you're blind. When an AI lays in the grass he has a slightly harder time seeing you. This makes coop missions (at least in certain areas) with grass on simply impossible to beat. Having a harder time seeing is not even close to being 99% blind, and if the AI is in the grass <45m from you then you can't see him even when you stand yet he can still see you. Heck I wonder if the AI detection code even takes into account grass that that AI is laying in rather than just the grass the player is in. Bottom line is that while grass has an effect on AI, it's just not noticeable enough.

Grass only hurts you. It surrounds you but those from afar have no problem seeing you.

even against bots i cant tell that it is working ... mostly the grass is too short to effectively hide you from their keen eyes

Several times when caught in the open I managed to get the enemy to lose sight of me using the grass.

As soon as I get shot at, I hit the dirt and roll to the side. Some bullets impact at the spot where I was standing. Then I fire back, roll, repeat. Seems to work, but of course only if there is a bit of distance between you and the enemy.

It makes for some interesting fire fights.

Hopefully BIS will get it working against players soon so we can pull the same trick against people.

I wonder how they can make grass affect player visibility without increasing grass draw distance. Making players invisible would be overpowered, maybe they could make players fade out, like 30% transparency when hiding in the grass. For players wearing ghillie suits the transparency can be raised even more.

Edited by randir14

Any kind of transparency will still be very visible, unless you make it almost 0%, in which case you might as well make them invisible.

Currently long range grass does not cover you but that seems to be general knowledge against human players anyways tho arma 1 approach worked nicely in hiding someone in grass at distance

Hi all,

we need that distance grass layer from Arma1 back in Arma2

I second that proposition, this was well done in arma.

We need again that distance grass layer especially for infanterie to hide from armor in the open field.

As it was very effective and well done in arma, I just don't understand it wasn't included in arma2.

At this time, any infanterie hiding, prone, in the grass is just sitting duck for ANY weapon with scope at veeery long distance.

He pops likes he if he have an emergency rotating light on his helmet.

Give us back the distance grass layer please !

I would be much happier with more realistic terrain that actually gives you cover, rather than rely on grass for concealment, especially when grass doesn't work.

snipersinbushes.jpg

So much for hiding in the bushes, eh? If you stand next to them they're almost invisible with that camo and bushes, yet from far away...

For me, grass (the lowest value at least...) has given me PERFORMANCE BOOST! :-D! probably bcause of something to do with ground mipmap or wtv...

I think that no grass if the performance decreases.

I think yes grass if performance increases. But make them low! grass won't hide other people but may bug you off.

Im gonna test long range grass though.

I voted yes

cheers!

It seems like people (as I did) vote yes first, and only later realize how much the grass really sucks.

it should depend on mission size. In small DM or CTF maps, in my opinion you should play with grass, as it offers more realism. But with larger missions, like CTI, I would say turn it off for the already mentioned reason.

Why is grass more realistic? Is being blind while others can fully see you realistic to you? To me it isn't. With the current extremely poor implementation of grass, no grass is clearly more realistic imo.