Sign in to follow this  
Geobryn

Arma 2 vs. 64bit & /LAA

cons: I have 2 partitions on the same physical drive. The licensing code generates 2 different keys, so I assume that I would have to pay twice to use this on the same physical machine. And I cannot uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs. I removed the ram disk then rebooted, then tried Add/Remove Programs. When I clicked Change/Remove it just came right back. I even manually deleted the drivers and virtual bus, rebooted, and tried again. Could not uninstall. Had to restore my partition from a Ghost backup. Bad news!.

from: http://download.cnet.com/RamDisk-Plus/3000-2094_4-10515039.html#rateit

scary!! and too expensive.

Use device manager to uninstall. The amount of partions You have on the drive makes no difference and there is an evaluation version

Full instructions here

Use device manager to uninstall. The amount of partions You have on the drive makes no difference and there is an evaluation version

Full instructions here

thank you, i prefer

http://www.farstone.com/software/virtual-hard-drive.htm

easy to install and use. What a great idea though but really how many times you resort to your paging file? i'll give it a try.

Swapfile on a RAM disc is absurd, it achieves nothing that couldn't be done more efficiently by just disabling the swapfile, think about it.

Swapfile on a RAM disc is absurd, it achieves nothing that couldn't be done more efficiently by just disabling the swapfile, think about it.

why? regardless of how much memory you have, windows seems to always access page files! on 32 bit applications!

you cant really completely disable the page. It will still create a page hidden deeper...Then there is apps/progs that have to have page to function.. lame yes but it is what it is.

We should encourage BIS to work on a AMD64 executable that will certainly yield some improvements in memory management. With the rise of Win7 (that is always in 64bit fashion except the basic version sold in some poorer countries only) and a not so small percentage of Vista 64 installations, I'm sure this would be gladly used by quite some people.

At least BIS could post a answer explaining why they cant do it.

Enabling /LAA and then call GlobalMemoryStatusEx to find the systems real memory cap seems to be a more valid strategi with more benefits versus hardcoding a cap at 2047MB?

Can some BIS dev enlight us here?

Steam hardware survey october 2009

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Summary

21% of the Steam users now have 64bit os installed, over 56% of the users have 3GB or more ram installed.

2 of 3 users installing windows 7 go for the 64bit version.

When will Bis respond and make Arma2 utlize todays computer rescources?

At least BIS could post a answer explaining why they cant do it.

Enabling /LAA and then call GlobalMemoryStatusEx to find the systems real memory cap seems to be a more valid strategi with more benefits versus hardcoding a cap at 2047MB?

Can some BIS dev enlight us here?

I did read a post by Suma a long time ago now why its not a 64bit exe. He said there is no gains in doing so.

I did read a post by Suma a long time ago now why its not a 64bit exe. He said there is no gains in doing so.

Truth be told, and I accept that to still be valid for our clients (to some extent). Server side it's a totaly different story. Big missions with many players will today crash server side, because of lack of memory. Benny Warfare is one example of this kind of big missions. In my tests, the server is doomed to crash after 5 - 7 hours, also without players. The cause is close to always out of memory related.

1GB is 33% more memory and could if we are lucky extend some big missions into practical infinite time (or until the server crash from somthing else). If not so lucky it could extend the server up-time with 2 more hours playing time.

To worsen the problem, it also seems to be that the server is plaqued by memory leakage, so you better restart your server from os, beore you attemp to play som big missions.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

One last ting, it's imposible to read out of the steampowered numbers, I guess close to > 90% all people or clans that are runing big servers, can afford 64 bit computing. So there is realy no excuse for not enabling /laa on the server exe. In my mind the only explanation must be

1) Not to much big missions are played on serveres anyway?

2) SP is more important, because they are the guys thats generate most money in the shortes amount of time. MP can afford to wait?

3) This is one of BIS bigges news for Arma3, and they don't want to break it to early?

4) Others unknown reasons, hard to tell, because none is posted in this thread, what so ever.

It doesn't because there is no way to do that, best thing you can achieve with your extra RAM is to force Windows never to swap to disc (by disabling the pagefile).

Exactly! I just did it, deleted the page file since I never got over 2,6GB of 8GB.

I got a noticeable performance increase!

To make it swap I need to have a lot open which I never do since this is decreasing processor performance of the open application of the biggest interest.

You really need to have the 3D environment for 4 shots of a major feature movie open to swap over 8GB :D

cheers, Weltensegler

Arma2 using only 2gb ram?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=97311&highlight=2gb&page=3

Closed by Placebo.

I agree with Walker when he point out the cost for moving the game to a 64bit arcithecture.

After I read the tread above and otheres, I'm still puzzeled with - am I the only one that seems to ask for more memory to the server.exe? Where using /laa seems to be both easy and the cheapest way to do it? Suma or others have not answered or shred light on this subject. Is there something I'm missing?

And please not more swap file discussion here