Sign in to follow this  
DaveSivill

Totally Unplayable

Frame rate is TERRIBLE no matter what Graphics level I have it on, low, normal, high etc.. I have tried all the presets. The textures some times disappear, the ground drops away even though I can still stand on it, the gun lags between firing, sound and re-coil and I get black lines up and down the screen every few seconds. Need seriousss help.

My Rig:

Asus M2N-E Sli Motherboard

AMD Athlon x64 x2 6400+ "Black Edition" 3.22ghz

4gb DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 8800GTX 512mb vRAM

Soundblaster Audigy 4 SE

Windows XP

Samsung 32" HD TV

Was running Windows 7 x64 but performance was EVEN worse on that setup than on this one.

Truely gutted about this game because I had really high hopes. Disappointment :mad:

Anyone got any possible solutions? I hardly think it's my rig as I can play FarCry2, Crysis, E:TW and pretty much every other game on full video settings and have no problems at all. So any solution is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Have you tried new video drivers lately? If so did you :

1) Uninstall the previous drivers

2) Reboot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner (or some such)

3) Reboot, disable all virus scanning software and install new drivers

4) Reboot

A few months ago I updated my drivers just by installing them over what I had. I thought everything was fine until I noticed a lot of strange stuff going on in Crysis and other games. Some of it not dissimilar to what you are describing above. Once I removed the new drivers, properly cleaned up (in safemode) then reinstalled them (with my virus stuff off) things went back to normal.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's worth considering. Regardless I wouldn't be too upset, your rig should be fine so something is screwy somewhere. Just a matter of finding out what.

I put the latest drivers on straight from the get-go when I installed XP earlier today. So I doubt thats the issue. Thanks for the quick response though!

Black lines sound like artifacts.

What are your temps? You can grab GPU-Z and hit log to file, run the game for a while, and see how they are.

I got a solution, did you own arma 1 ? if so, and if you want to see just how nice the new gfx can look, try this. Although it wont replace your dissapointment with the games performance, it will mean you get a bit of fun out of it.......

Manually create a mod folder and call it @Sahrani, inside that make a new folder and name it addons. Go to your arma 1 directory and extract :

buildings.pbo/ plants.pbo/ roads.pbo/ rocks.pbo/ sara.pbo

rename all but sara.pbo by putting CA infront, eg: CArocks.pbo

(dont rename sara.pbo)

Place the mod folder in your main Arma 2 directory.

Create a shortcut from Arma 2, add the line -mod=@sahrani

Then run the editor and select sahrani, works for me, and I can turn all the settings right up to full.

Even if u cant turn settings to full, you should atleast be able to see what the fuss is about to some extent. You can also add other map files into the same folder, some might work better than others.

Its odd, playing Sahrani like this, you get the new AI which is very good, and great new water. Sahrani just looks fantastic. (There might be a few errors, missing textures).

Frame rate is TERRIBLE no matter what Graphics level I have it on, low, normal, high etc.. I have tried all the presets. The textures some times disappear, the ground drops away even though I can still stand on it, the gun lags between firing, sound and re-coil and I get black lines up and down the screen every few seconds. Need seriousss help.

My Rig:

Asus M2N-E Sli Motherboard

AMD Athlon x64 x2 6400+ "Black Edition" 3.22ghz

4gb DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 8800GTX 512mb vRAM

Soundblaster Audigy 4 SE

Windows XP

Samsung 32" HD TV

Was running Windows 7 x64 but performance was EVEN worse on that setup than on this one.

Truely gutted about this game because I had really high hopes. Disappointment :mad:

Anyone got any possible solutions? I hardly think it's my rig as I can play FarCry2, Crysis, E:TW and pretty much every other game on full video settings and have no problems at all. So any solution is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

go in to the ARMA.cfg, and set your refreshrate, and HDR

Your TV has a 13/7 resolution or are you a 1900/1000?

Still no joy. Gunna have to wait for a patch to come out. Majorly gutting.

D: That is not good to hear :(

Check out the ArmA II optimization thread, it's stickie'd. That should direct you somewhere.

I had all sorts of texturing and performance problems with my 8800GTX (on Windows 7)

I downgraded the video driver back to version 182.50 and all my problems went away.

Cheers, will try rolling back my driver then. But I don't want to have to use an olddd driver for the rest of time, so it's only a temp fix. Need to get this sorted.

Was hoping the new patch was gunna make things a little better, still no joy.