Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2: The All New OFFICIAL "where to buy?" Thread.

Good call Sneak !

I was just coming here to type just that.

Even though we have to pay twice.

Is the downloading pretty solid ? I hate having hicups on a big download, I wonder how long it will take with a moderate cable connection.

Oh and what if you are off-line, I hear you can still launch it ? I hope so.

Cheers...Arma 2 withdrawl gamers.

Steam is good, the downloads are resumable so if your computer crashed in the middle of it and you start it up again, Steam'll pick it up where it left off. It's just that I like having a physical copy, so I can add it to my shelf along with other games and so that it'd be next to ArmA box. That way it'd look good.

Btw, I went to Bestbuy and they said they'll have the game at 2 to 4PM EST so I'll come back there around that time to see if they were for real or just BSing.

Steam is good, the downloads are resumable so if your computer crashed in the middle of it and you start it up again, Steam'll pick it up where it left off. It's just that I like having a physical copy, so I can add it to my shelf along with other games and so that it'd be next to ArmA box. That way it'd look good.

Btw, I went to Bestbuy and they said they'll have the game at 2 to 4PM EST so I'll come back there around that time to see if they were for real or just BSing.

can you please tell us if they did or not, thanks

I would very much like to know if this ends up to be true as well. 99% chance its bull though, like you said.

Guys, there is nothing wrong with Steam. If you want a DVD copy, make a backup disc,which it will let you do. I downloaded Arma2 in an hour. Yes it will not let you do beta patches......but I never liked beta patches anyways.

Yes it will run Mods, Custom maps, custom skins, custom what ever. You can do everything with the steam version as you could with the disc besides patching because it does it for you.

Steam is super safe as long as you keep your email address updated for it and dont give your username and password out to anyone. I have bought 10 games off steam since it came out and I have not once had a problem. I hate having discs and boxes around, it clutters up my place and who wants to keep a stack of cds that you have to switch out. Plus when I add people to my friends list I can see what they are playing and message them in game.

Steam has so many advantages and very very little disadvantages. The people who have negative things to say about steam, have never tried it, or cant read the instructions they give you. That simple.

The game isn't coming out on the 17th, that's just Gamestop guessing. The same goes for Amazon's 20th release date, another guess. Cancel your pre-orders, this game is never going retail in the U.S. or Canada. Fuck Got Game Entertainment.

Hi,

I had the same toughts SD_Killa.

Most of the reviewers complains are about the broken campaign and like it or not they are probably right on regarding the main stream player opinion. It would be wise to fix it and much of the other obvious bugs before facing the North-America market. We'll probably have to wait 1.03 version...

I wish them luck. They deserve it.

Cheers

yeah steam is good i do buy other games from there... download is fast im done already

i just dont like things like steam because if they go under you lose the game.. right?

and yeah you can play offline but you have to set it up for offline mode..just dont give out your account info and your safe from getting hijacked

Well July 7th has arrived in Canada and despite telling me it would be available today Electronics Boutique says it hasn't arrived, and I called the three closest stores. :(

Future Shop hasn't even heard of it and Best Buy says it doesn't even have it on their computers as being ordered in.

I don't want any more demo. I must command large units....a platoon or a company...I must...I must...I must...

I don't know about the rest of you but I would really like to see a word or two from BIS on the likelihood of a NA release in the near future...and if so, whether or not there will be the possibility of a physical copy for those who can't (or won't) opt for the digital route. Also, just where did the delay and the subsequent retail problems originate from...the Dev or the Pub?

Perhaps a Mod who has a Devs ear could steer them in this direction, and perhaps that Dev could spare a moment and clue us in on some of these questions...without resorting to the stock canned or vague answers?

I agree with NoQuarter, it isn't fair that we've been kept in the dark about this by BIS. They are ultimately responsible and personally I wouldn't even mind a vague answer as long as it is accurate and truthful.

Hi,

You can order it online from a few stores (http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/armaii.html) that's where I ordered from, but in a retail store there are none that I know of. Best Buy, EB Games, Gamestop, none of them have it.

I just e-mail them and they are out of stock.

They say that they are expecting a shipment tomorrow. We'll see...

Any where else?

Cheers

Yea I emailed them as well earlier, they said they should receive stock over night so hopefully there right,

I went to Bestbuy at 4PM, they said they don't have it. They checked in the back, but told me to try again tomorrow. Gamestop has never heard of this game.

My patience is running thin.

I just gave up and bought myself a copy from Steam. First I was told it'll be released on the 29th...then the 7th...now the 17th. I feel like a jackass with a carrot in front of my nose. Well, this jackass will wait until he sees the boxed copy of ARMAII in the bargain bin before he gets to pick it up, and will enjoy his Steam version for now.

Abs

Guys, there is nothing wrong with Steam. If you want a DVD copy, make a backup disc,which it will let you do. I downloaded Arma2 in an hour. Yes it will not let you do beta patches......but I never liked beta patches anyways.

Yes it will run Mods, Custom maps, custom skins, custom what ever. You can do everything with the steam version as you could with the disc besides patching because it does it for you.

Steam is super safe as long as you keep your email address updated for it and dont give your username and password out to anyone. I have bought 10 games off steam since it came out and I have not once had a problem. I hate having discs and boxes around, it clutters up my place and who wants to keep a stack of cds that you have to switch out. Plus when I add people to my friends list I can see what they are playing and message them in game.

Steam has so many advantages and very very little disadvantages. The people who have negative things to say about steam, have never tried it, or cant read the instructions they give you. That simple.

There are plenty of things wrong with Steam and products bought through steam, don't say nothing is wrong with it. Just like there are plenty of things wrong with Games for Windows Live which many games are using now. I have (had) them both and while they don't give me major grief, I still don't like them and won't buy any more products requiring them.

I agree that it has advantages like the fact that it downloads the game quickly as you said, but some people don't like the fact that they have to go through Steam to play something they own. If Steam doesn't work, the game sure as hell won't.

Like this issue in particular (and theres plenty more)

"By default, to play a game offline, Steam and the game itself must be fully updated. When Steam starts online, the system checks to see if there are updates available. If there are, the user is forced to wait for update process to finish before being able to play again, though games can be streamed online. These updates cannot be rolled back by the user, which prevents users with unusual or unrecognized issues reverting their software to its previous, functional state. Steam can be set to stay offline and not attempt a connection, but this offline mode has its own restrictions and limitations, including preventing games which have not been updated from running in offline mode. It is possible to deactivate the update look-up on a per game basis in the game's properties."

My ISP isn't %100 reliable here because of either A.) its fucking comcast, or B.) roadway construction taking out the telephone/cable lines temporarily, so this is a deal breaker for me. I went through the EXACT SAME bullshit with the Company of Heroes expansion (non steam) and I ended up using that as target practice with my 1911

DVD Copies are always better, and I won't buy this on anything else even if it doesn't make it to retail stores in North America for some misguided, retarded reason. That simple.

Edited by SUPR3ME KILL3R

How about the fact that Europe has the CHOICE to go to the store and buy a boxed version or use Steam, so the Americans and Canadians should as well. Why the hell hasn't BIS said anything, this shit is ridiculous.

Edited by randir14

DVD Copies are always better, and I won't buy this on anything else even if it doesn't make it to retail stores in North America for some misguided, retarded reason. That simple.
How about the fact that Europe has the CHOICE to go to the store and buy a boxed version or use Steam, so the Americans and Canadians should as well. Why the hell hasn't BIS said anything, this shit is ridiculous.

Oorah to that!

Please, everyone, resist the temptation to buy from Steam unless you really don't mind buying from Steam to begin with. Don't allow developers to try to force your hands in buying their products the way they want you to rather than the way you want to. If you don't want to buy from Steam, then don't. My guess is that Steam gave some incentive to BIS to allow them to be the sole distributor for a certain number of weeks in the NA market, so this is why we are not seeing the game in Retail stores. By just going along with this scheme simply rewards both BIS and Steam who are forcing their customers hand.

The game sounds buggy right now anyway, why not just go away for a few weeks and then check back. This game is not going to be very widely sold to begin with, so if the community gave a huge shout back that we are not going to be forced into something we don't want, this would reduce the chance of this happening again. In the meantime, we would also be avoiding the frustrations associated with waiting for the next patch to come out to fix some of the bugs I am beginning to read about in the forums. Furthermore, the multiplayer portion of the game will not become very active until they get this thing distributed in the US anyway.

It is clear, BIS is not very interested in the NA market, so we should return the favor. Let it be known that we are not very interested in BIS if this is how we are going to be treated.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is sounding better and better everyday now.

speculations

Please dont spread rumours and speculations... BIS have Got Game Entertainment in NA as publisher for boxed copy... maybe Got Game is not a very good publisher(speculation) and dragging BIS down with it... it is unfortunate... either way we dont know whats going on...

But I do agree what you said about if you dont like to buy from steam, then dont buy from steam...

it is unfortunate that at this time NA wont have box copy in retail, but if you have no objection to importing it from Europe, then by all means go ahead...

Please dont spread rumours and speculations... BIS have Got Game Entertainment in NA as publisher for boxed copy... maybe Got Game is not a very good publisher(speculation) and dragging BIS down with it... it is unfortunate... either way we dont know whats going on...

But I do agree what you said about if you dont like to buy from steam, then dont buy from steam...

it is unfortunate that at this time NA wont have box copy in retail, but if you have no objection to importing it from Europe, then by all means go ahead...

I don't think Got Game Entertainment was the best choice in publisher. Look at their website, most oddball group of games i've ever seen.

Almost sounds like a joke: some puzzle games, some 2d games, some card games, and... ArmA 2 :391:

Anyway, who the hell knows when it comes out here in NA.