Sign in to follow this  
guiltyspark

realistic carnage

Want gore play RO or COD 5. Enough of that there.

I wouldn't mind it if it was in the game already, doesn't ned to be added. The engine might not be able to handle bits of soldiers or any kind of particles anyway let alone the client having fps drop when entering a town in ruins.

Edited by Enforcer1975

Carnage is a part of realism in simulations I can go without very well. I've seen more than enought real life "carnage" mainly in very bad car accidents in service as fireman. I even can't watch movies like SAW without feeling very uncomfortable and wanting to leave because it brings memories back that are still very painfull such as a young woman bleeding to death at full consciousness while we tried to recover her from a car wreck. My suit was soaked with her blood.

No carnage in ArmA is a good decision.

Edited by Ulanthorn

Great, that's you. I've seen it in real life and I want it in the game. Hey at least you can't smell it, that's the part that sticks. So we can turn off blood, how about an option to turn off gore?

SLX has some good gore, I love having it. It's not overdone, and sometimes you never notice it at all. When it does happen it's more of a shock, as it should be. I'd love to see it as a standard.

Yeah SLX is great I was really surprised the first time I saw a burnt and decapitated body after a tank blew up.

Well it's simple, this feature HAS TO BE 3rd party work and a mod because in case it would be a fature of the vanila game...it wil be taken off the shelf quite instantly in europe due to our laws...you know...Sex is o.k. violence is not. The executive is aware of patches today, so bringing in gore after first assessment by the authorities can still lead to a ban.

Yeah SLX is great I was really surprised the first time I saw a burnt and decapitated body after a tank blew up.

Yeah I remember the first up close and personal head shot I gave an OPFOR, it removed most of his head and I just froze for a second.

You can isolate those wound.pbos too, in case anyone doesn't want to use the whole mod.

Hell, we don't even have fragmentation modeled in this game. Call back once they put in the easy stuff.

...it wil be taken off the shelf quite instantly in europe due to our laws...

uhm...Europe is bigger than Germany...

In Belgium or France, from what I know, it wouldn't be a problem.

I think only Germany has such strict laws concerning gore stuff

Edited by Macadam Cow

uhm...Europe is bigger than Germany...

In Belgium or France, from what I know, it wouldn't be a problem.

I think only Germany has such strict laws concerning gore stuff

The stricter law is coming to al of us sooner or later due to that thing calles European Community and it's tendency to overide national laws step by step...just wait a little time...and...germany is currently the biggest market for Games in Europe. But if I remeber right the last time we heard urgent calls for a ban for violence in games it came from the U.K. and the not so liberal anymore Netherlands. Edited by Ulanthorn

Yeah when they say violence they mean out of context violence, like our friend who cant watch Saw etc, that much is obvious, no-one, not even OS who started the thread wants mega gore.

Realistic in terms of context and the context is, this is a war game.

Read back all the people who has said no gore, no-one who said yes has said anything thing to the contrary of "yeah more more but not over the top"

I would find it more shocking and immersing to have more death animations (perhaps some animations that fit the method of death rather than generic death animation1) and have more wounded/death sounds than adding body parts flying. Hearing the urgency of people screaming and dying all around sounds more intense and isn't as visually distracting.

Better blood effects and spray would be nice but dismembering IMHO proves more distracting than game enhancing.

I don't think the models can be deformed as such in the current engine anyway. As far as im aware to make gore and gibs, you'd have to remove the body and replace it with body parts on the fly, rather than the body parts coming off from the model itself. Required more calculations and such id imagine.

Hell, we don't even have fragmentation modeled in this game. Call back once they put in the easy stuff.

I'm excited about the shot shell simulation. Maybe fragmentation will come from that!

The only thing I think could improve the game as far as gore is concerned is blood splattter. ACE and SLX already does this of course, but it'd be good to see it ingame natively. The benefits are that you can see from the blood splatter what direction incoming fire was around an area having come across some bodies, and possibly watch that direction more. Also, wounded units leaving blood trails can be useful too :)

Red Orchestra had a perfect mature system on how it handled gore IMO. There's no over the top organs or blood being splattered everywhere. Just some blood splatters and limbs flying off if getting blown up.

I wouldn't really care for gore, I would prefer a softer approach with positional wounds, maybe possible for a few limbs or something to come off, but I wouldn't want to see that from small arms, just enough to tell what they died from and where they were hit.

I don't think it's possible atm though, we would need a completely new engine, and I'm not up to learning how to script again.

The small arms simulation is almost JUST right as far as realism goes , but realistically shots to the head and extremities with high caliber rounds are alot more brutal than one would think. Most modern sniper rifles will leave what is essentially the head as a mushed up peice of hamburger with shattered bone mixed in. High caliber machine guns will tear the human body apart , taking limbs in the process. (if you have seen the new john rambo movie , it is exaggerated in some parts , but most of it is pretty close to reality)

if you shoot somebody with a 50 caliber machine gun they are not going to fall over like they tripped on a rock and fell on a tomato , they are going to tear apart and its going to be shocking to watch.

While I agree with you explosive weapons and headshots can be quite graphic, high-caliber Machine Gun fire (I'm thinking .50) will not tear off legs. It might break an arm off at the thin areas but in all seriousness it's not as horrific as is commonly assumed by those who have never seen .50 Cal wounds. Shots to the leg deal enough tissue damage to typically necissitate amputation, but that is due to the large amount of damaged tissue, not the complete destruction and severing of the limb due to the projectile.

Come hits to the body with large-caliber Machine Gun fire, there will be what would seem fairly small entry wounds (1/2 an inch in diameter is not that big if you think about it) but exit wounds can be 2 inches or more, depending on how much yawing occurs - this is a large wound and is fatal 99% of the time, however even machine-gun fire of this volume will not tear a man in two unless you wanted to waste a considerably large amount of ammunition on a dead body.

Edit:

Below will be a picture of the wound channel of a 12.7x99 Mk211 APHEI in ballistic gelatin, used to represent human tissue.

The first block is within the width of a human torso (~20cm) - the blocks following it would only be within the width of a human torso if you were something like 500 lbs.

mk211.png

I wish I could've found an image with a man standing beside the block - there used to be one (had it bookmarked), but it seems it's been deleted. However, there are two pieces of information here to use as a mental/visual scale: the fact that the entrance of the channel is 1/2 inch in diameter, and that the first block is 20cm long. As you can see, within your average male target, there is no way a .50 cal, even an Armour Piercing High Explosive Incendiary .50 cal, will break a man in two. If you were strafed horizontally with a large number of Mk211's, you'd be missing a whole lot of your back, but your front and middle would keep you together.

Edited by Panzer Jager

i just want red orchestra style ragdoll and some marker to show where i hit a body.

None of this decapitation and/or limbs being blown off, that takes effort and time :rolleyes:

if you play Arma tactically there is no need for any FX (like gore, super sound etc.)

what would be good when it comes to units - working bulletproof vests and working penetration of armor sheet (including vehicles)

Gore or no Gore, i wish there was a different system for infantry hit by large caliber projectiles. I think everyone knows what i mean when i see a group of infantry "standing upright to fall of floor" animation while 30ft in the sky after getting hit by 30mm Ah-64 Cannon ha haha

I agree with OP and unfortunately I'm reminded quite often how ridiculous it is to see a body flying through the air after being hit by an RPG, bomb or tank round etc.

Its not about exagerated gore but 'realistic' effects. At least making bodies dissappear when hit by high explosives instead of flying all over the place.

(It also does get a bit annoying to see the same death animations but nothing can be done about that)

This may be available in some addons but it should be properly integrated into the game rather than added to the list of things that must be fixed by third party scripts/addons which I'm sure are not helping performance.

You people who dissagree get off your high horse. It would be optional in settings anyway so you can't complain...

...As for the argument of attracting immature, sick dickheads... That might be true at first but after everyone has had a play and seen the effects at work (yes, we would ALL try it), players would get back to playing properly and with more immersion.

Edited by EDcase

Gore or no Gore, i wish there was a different system for infantry hit by large caliber projectiles. I think everyone knows what i mean when i see a group of infantry "standing upright to fall of floor" animation while 30ft in the sky after getting hit by 30mm Ah-64 Cannon ha haha

LOL! I think this relates more to physics/ragdoll than gore but I tend to agree. There needs to be a certain satisfaction with the carnage/destruction the players induces and that best comes by the reaction of the enemy you just hit. Doesn't need to be excessively bloody -just satisfying...