Sign in to follow this  
datter

Can the AI see through grass? Some testing.

I ran some simple tests to see if the AI can actually see through the grass as some have been speculating. Results here for anyone interested.

Good writeup, but one of the factors may be distance. I find when I engage infantry from 600 meters or more, they won't even bother shooting back, even if I'm wide open on a piece of rock, they can't "find" me. But from 50m, they will shoot me through the grass no problem. Same for bushes and tree foliage. One time I was prone, and got shot, and when the kill camera moved, I saw a prone infantry about 100m off behind a bush. I moved the camera to his position, and I couldn't see myself. I then flew to my body, and there were two bushes and foliage of a tree in the way. So I couldn't have possibly seen that AI, but he saw me fine.

My own experiences indicate that once you engage a group, no matter if you're in grass or not, they will kill spot you and kill you from 300m or less. It's a tossup at 300-600m against infantry, though jeeps, APCs and T84s will still spot me and kill me with obscene accuracy. And at 600m or more the infantry loses the ability to find me and never shoots back, so I can kill a group of 20 using M16 with ACOG sight and they will not even shoot back, just flop down on the ground and wait to get shot, though the jeeps/APCs/tanks still find me just fine and hit me at 600+ meters.

I mean, i understand the vision and tracking and all, that may be going on with army communication and all that.. but this AI is so hacklike, its not even a fun game anymore...

And it's not even like cuz they can see you thru any building or anythign.. but they also can shoot thru buildings, and even terrain..

It's just flat out horrid and pitiful.

I have a squad of my own ai, on a hill and one of them is standing up, shooting the ground 2 feet in front of him, i see the dist balls popping up, I am like wtf is my ai shooting at.. and he is racking up kills like nothing.

I sit there and be in 3rd person mode behind a wall, and able to see over the top, to see a sniper, not only shoot at me, but actually getting a kill as if i am peeking my head out..

The list goes on and on and on..

Is there any way to code to at least stop this nonsense thru terrain/ thru building shooting?

Yeah, yeah. There is such threads already, why make another one?

I sit there and be in 3rd person mode behind a wall, and able to see over the top, to see a sniper, not only shoot at me, but actually getting a kill as if i am peeking my head out..

The list goes on and on and on..

Is there any way to code to at least stop this nonsense thru terrain/ thru building shooting?

Hmm i have not seen the things you mention so far, if i go behind cover i do not get shot.

And i played quite some hours now. :confused:

I think it's safe to say we've all encountered some major "WTF" moments, while playing against Arma 2's enemy AI.

I'd really like to see the AI shooting through terrain and buildings...

I'd really like to see the AI shooting through terrain and buildings...

Indeed, make a video plz.

while i personally have never seen AI that really shoot through walls in an obvious ways i occasionally was shot when barely sticking my elbow out.

these are bugs i am not too bothered by since they dont happen to at all or not enough to notice. 99% if im behind cover than im safe.

however the game has some bugs so if u say u say this happen than i believe u. wish i could help.

just make sure u installed the latest patch (1.02)

It sounds like you're just horribly frustrated.

The AI in arma 2 is very detailed. If they don't see you, but don't see you move away from the last place you were they expect you to still be there. If they see you pop up then you'll probably die.

And no, they don't shoot through anything that is bulletproof for you. You probably weren't shot by the guy that you think got you, remember the AI will suppress and flank you to get you from the sides or behind.

The AI in arma 2 is very detailed. If they don't see you, but don't see you move away from the last place you were they expect you to still be there. If they see you pop up then you'll probably die.

And no, they don't shoot through anything that is bulletproof for you. You probably weren't shot by the guy that you think got you, remember the AI will suppress and flank you to get you from the sides or behind.

I have yet to see the ai do anything that remotely resembled flanking. Instead i see them being super aware and able to see you when they shouldn't. Ive had a few shoot through buildings moments. Alot of moments where they just stand there doing nothing. Even more where i've ordered my friendlies to do something and they just do nothing.

The game behaves differently in terms of bugs every time. Sometime something works right, the next time it doesn't. It is very inconsistent so when people say "I don't have that" it doesn't mean it can't happen.

They didn't see you.

They just saw where the grenade came from xD

I've seen the AI try to flank. But he did it in a pretty useless way, basically running in the open taking a longer route while being watched/shot at from long distance by the enemy, rather than actually surprising the enemy. Not to mention they didn't really attack (that is, close in on the objective while engaging), at least not during the few minutes I was watching them.

They shoot through some materials, wood and such, so they may shot through wall.

They have oversensitives hears that make them track you by hear too precisely, so they can aim at you without seeing you sometimes.

Combine both, and here is your "AI shoots through buildings" reports

Yeah, yeah. There is such threads already, why make another one?

Because I don't live here like you and act like I own the place disrepecting users.. And there's reasons like people like you I don't want to be around.. All in all, forums suck not because of a duplicate post.. Which is not duplicate, its just my opinion I am stating.. but it is because of people like you who have to disrespect others, for no other reason then doing your job and hating it... Maybe slinging pig turds would have been a better career for you?

Try it, cuz your attitude here stinks like ****

How about my example? I'm in some bushes, prone, next to a tree with just my head sticking out. Approximately 600m away a jeep is moving away and to the side from me, I have my M16 with 4x ACOG scope, and I start shooting it. The gunner on the jeep spins around and shoots me in the face. I die.

Now, let me ask you, can you see a man's head at 600m without binoculars or scope, considering he's got a camouflaged helmet on and is laying on the ground among rocks, bushes, trees, etc. If he fires and you see the muzzle flash and smoke, even so at 600m can you see it clearly, without scope or binocs? Not really. A head-size target at 600m will be a dot to you.

Next, how do you think your accuracy is affected, when you're shooting a machinegun mounted on the back of a moving jeep? MOVING vehicle. Think you can hit a head-size target at 600m? I doubt 1 in 100 here can. Maybe 1 in 1000 with 100 rounds fired can manage it, though I still doubt it, not at 600m and not from a moving jeep.

This isn't detailed AI. This is godmode, cheating AI. This happened on more than one occasion, against jeeps, tanks and APC.

The kill camera shows the unit that fired the killing shot. And while I haven't seen AI shoot though walls, I have seen them spot me and shoot me though several bushes or foliage of trees in the way, from where they couldn't have possibly seen me. Godmode cheating AI.

Have to agree with Sabbathius and others here.

The AI can most definitely shoot through walls, while we on the other hand have to lean even further out from a corner to get a shot past the building. It really does spoil a superb game at times.:(

I wonder if there's a value for AI's detection range like the weap accuracy that could be tinkered with a bit. My AI squad leader told me to engage man in our right flank 792 meters. I was kinda WTF engage yourself you biatch i see nothing damn it :) Those ranges are totally absurd especially when the enemy was in a forest...