Sign in to follow this  
erazor

Auto walk?

You guys got to be freaking kidding me...

You honestly believe ArmA2 needs a "auto-walk" button!?!?

The youth nowa-days....

I'd have liked to have seen it in OPFP, ArmA, and ArmA2. I've traversed every map in-game on foot, and yeah a run-lock key would have been (would still be) very handy. If you take off on foot, you can run for hours on some of these maps (I remember doing just that in the old OPFP CTI missions). And some of the early Evos that required earned rank to get a ride...if the fight was 10k away, you were screwed.

The argument that it's not realistic or non-imersive is mission-dependant (if a mission like Domination can have teleport points or instant halo drops, then a run-lock key isn't game-breaking). It's certainly not needed in most mission environments, but it's not uncommon to face a 15 minute jog on some maps. And yeah, the old middle finger get tired. Maybe it wouldn't bother me if I *were* younger. ;)

ymmv

If by autowalk you mean hold a key then press a chat key and leave it there then yes it does have autowalk.

QFE. pretty sure this will carry on working in arma2

TheHunter has autowalk. Pretty useful there.

But I never thought about needing autowalk in OFP or ArmA... In my opinion it is not needed.

Yes, of course there are long walks sometime. But I never press only the forward key, I also often move with the sidekeys in order to watch the surroundings.

Assign your joystick's throttle slider +/- to forward/reverse.

TheHunter has autowalk. Pretty useful there.

But I never thought about needing autowalk in OFP or ArmA... In my opinion it is not needed.

Yes, of course there are long walks sometime. But I never press only the forward key, I also often move with the sidekeys in order to watch the surroundings.

Press & hold Left Alt and move your mouse around..... more efficient way of looking around

I guess i'm gunna end up scripting something thats gunna work as an auto-walk toggle in autohotkey. I like the joystick idea, but anytime a 'situation' arises and you gotta act quick, ya gotta manhandle the joystick first ;).

Yes, but those are RPG-games.

Why do many people keep saying this statement. When it comes to walking/running there is no difference between an RPG and ARMA or ARMA2. The thing that makes auto walk a necessity is the size of the maps same with WWII Online. They all have massive maps. In ARMA2 it is more necessary than any of the others mentioned because of the distances.

I too have found myself in ARMA in the middle of nowhere at times due to shot down chopper of whatever and had to sit there for 15 mins with finger on W to walk to nearest friendly town. Yes I enjoy the realism and I could respawn but I like ARMA for the realism it can give. It is possible to have an auto walk key, I would still sit looking at the screen but without the need to cramp my finger.

I think it is a simple thing to add and would be appreciated by many.

Well made my own autowalk-script in autohotkey.

ALT+W to turn on - ALT+S to stop.

If anyone's interested just copy the following into an Autohotkey (google) script and run it anytime ya need it - before or during gameplay.

$!w:: 
sleep 500 
send {w down} 

return 

$!s:: 
sleep 500 
send {w up} 

return 

Still think this should of been a built-in feature ;).

i played BIS games since OFP first year and i never missed an auto-walk function. Usually you are in hostile territory and need to move smart. If im downed far away i call some friends to pick me up in a vehicle. Auto move doesnt feel like it belongs in a combat sim tbh. Auto fire without having to reload next maybe? :D

Game has auto-walk and you don't like it --> Don't use it.

Game has no auto walk and you want it --> ???

Realism takes no hit with an auto walk key. The only real difference between having it to not having it is that your finger hurts less, and we know that IRL fingers don't start hurting after long walks.

Auto walk key does not allow you to do in game anything that you couldn't do IRL, which makes it more than fine to have.

Of course, I'd rather play missions where the autowalk will be useless due to mission design, but that's not always the case, and thus auto walk is a very good thing to have.

Little offtopic and I do not mean it to flame, but:

You are controlling a soldier with 50kgs of gear in a military simulation/game....... and you are telling us "FINGER FATIGUE"???

Then again, I understand your need for a function, but thought that it was kind of funny..... never carried a real rifle around for hours but I know how heavy a paintball gun feels after 2 hours of woods play, and I know that NONE of those russian vehicles (UAZ and others) have power steering in them.. I actually drove some USSR wonder-vehicles around in Europe and they are worse that finger-fatigue!

You are controlling a soldier with 50kgs of gear in a military simulation/game....... and you are telling us "FINGER FATIGUE"???

Then again, I understand your need for a function, but thought that it was kind of funny..... never carried a real rifle around for hours but I know how heavy a paintball gun feels after 2 hours of woods play, and I know that NONE of those russian vehicles (UAZ and others) have power steering in them.. I actually drove some USSR wonder-vehicles around in Europe and they are worse that finger-fatigue!

srsly?

I mean.... SRSLY?

I've gathered all 'facepalm' images on teh interwebz to help describe how i feel about your post ;)

facepalmssmall.jpg

BF/CoD Lone wolf features for MP: Auto-Aim, Auto-Walk, Auto-Run, Auto-Jump, Auto-Play...Auto-facepalm. :D

My personal autowalk device is a bended Spoon. Very handy for swimming and for Boats.

WWII Online has an autowalk key.

Gentlemen, we cannot allow there to be an autowalk key gap!

Any game that makes you put something heavy on a key or use similar methods needs to be fixed.

Any game that makes you put something heavy on a key or use similar methods needs to be fixed.
Hell nooo... the spoon is my very special skill to nuke my oponents.

Ι don't use WSAD for movement. I use HOME,DELETE,PGUP,PGDOWN, INSERT and END. And I use the cursor arrows below for running, leaning and crouching.

So I just take a sticky piece of blue tack and place it half on the HOME(forward) key and half on the keyboard surface to keep it down.

Instant auto walking or auto running.

What next? People asking for auto-aim because it's hard to aim?

Auto-aim is already in the game!

LMAO. That was accurate. Touché!

setting my throttle to forward makes the character run for me...is that what you are after ?