Sign in to follow this  
blobhead

Patch V1.02 breaks my game!?

Hi,

I've been running the version of ArmA 2 that was on the DVD without issue (V1.01) but after installing the V1.02 patch the game refuses to start, instead popping up a dialog box immediately with an error about "d3dxmatrixmultiply" not being present in a directx9 library (sorry I can't be more specific as I am not at home at the moment)

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling - but same thing happens - V1.01 works fine, but then I put the V1.02 patch on and get this error. I'll try updating my NVidia drivers tonight and I'll post additional/more specific information about my system should that not resolve it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Yes, 'D3DXMatrixMutiply' is a DirectX function contained within one of the DirectX dll's. What I don't understand though is why would V1.02 patch cause the DLL link to this function to screw up? and yet, reverting to V1.01 corrects the issue?

I'm running Vista (32-bit) which comes with DX10 pre-installed - I presume all DirectX versions contain all previous versions (being a COM library) so I'm not sure whether I can do anything as regards the DX9 installation?

Does ArmA2 use DX10 at all? or is it all DX9? Thanks again.

d3dxmatrixmultiply is a Microsoft based file.

Be sure to have the latest Dx9 installation. Maybe something got deleted during patch installation. So far I don't think it has anything to do with the Nvidia drivers.

Patch 1.02 definately breaks "something" with DX9 support:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75609

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75560

Im going to try moving d3d9.dll from other installs into the game directory to see if I can get a working game again.

1. No ArmA II is a Dx9 game

2. Dx10 does NOT contain all previous Dx9 files! So install Dx9 at all costs! Set a system restore point or make a backup of your system.

Ok - it's looking like a definite DX9 install then... thanks for replies.

Update: I tried installing DirectX 9 using the normal installer (the one which downloads what's needed) but that didn't solve the issue - neither did installing the latest NVidia drivers.

So... what I did next was to get the full DirectX runtime install package and copy the file which was causing the issue (d3dx9_41.dll) over from the cab file in that package to the windows\system32 folder (renaming the one the was already in the windows\system32 folder just in case) - and all of a sudden, it all works! I'm not entirely sure what the issue was as both files seem the same, and I don't know why V1.01 worked, and V1.02 didn't, with the old file (surely they didn't just start using a function as fundamental as D3DXMatrixMultiply in V1.02? and why is this apparently missing in the d3dx9_41.dll I already had?) - who knows, but I'm very happy again now :-)

Thanks for all replies!