Sign in to follow this  
_watcher

Arma 2 dedicated server for freebsd/linux/etc.

I am really getting tired of waiting. We went through 1.03 without any linux dedicated server... now 1.04 still doesn't have one, and a whole new game is around the corner!

That I need to have the overhead of a virtualization layer to host my games is ridiculous.

(I have WinXP Pro 64-bit running inside Virtualbox. My hardware has all the correct VM support. Rock solid, and not too much overhead, considering. Using 64-bit to work around a bug that caused massive CPU usage.)

Funny thing is, if I host an MP game within my game I take a huge FPS hit. If I run a XP virtual machine in the background and off it run a dedicated server, I get a minimal hit.

I just host it off a 2nd machine running VMWare, though it does seem to max the proc at 100%

I basically want to echo the sentiments of others in this thread.

We also have an ArmA and Teamspeak server, running Linux, sitting in a server room with a 100 Mbit connection almost straight to the backbone. This is the way to do it if you only can. It will be upgraded with the latest hardware as soon as the Linux server binary comes out, but it's been a frustratingly long wait.

I think this is working against Bohemia Interactive as well. From a server administrator point of view I have a suspicion that most big and/or well-established OFP and ArmA servers were run on Linux. ArmA 2 is already pretty stable, but the multiplayer community is really suffering because of this technically minor issue. If you hit the community you also hit the sales of games to come. I doubt many bought the game for the single-player campaign.

Edited by Antti Salonen

is there any news about a linux dedicated server ?

It's not really enojoyable to run Microsoft-Windows in a virtual box on Linuxserver to compensate this.

It's nice pings but - for whatever reason ! - very low bandwith which leads to unplayable situations.

Or has anybody a technical hint how to increase bandwith?

I am waiting for the Arma2 server for linux too, I please the development team work hard and fast on it, I really need it, thanks a lot.

Yep - that is getting more and more important for we consider to feed the monopolist Microsoft. That would be too ugly, but our virtual box has - for whatever reasons - big problems with bandwith though the server is absolutely "state of the art" ... :-(

At last they said here said on August 13th 2009 they would be working on it.

Edited by Herbal Influence

Could the development team in charge let us know when will the linux version come out.

Hurrah! Well spotted than man.

Edited by Defunkt

Dear Bis , plz release the Dedi for Linux. Never i install the VBox on Linux, makes so many trouple and the Server work not fine with virtuell Windows. Plz tell us how long we wait for Dedi. We are wait a longer Time , i install Arma I on the Server.

Greez Hotze

Sorry for my English

Has anyone tried the new linux server?

I want to launch it on my VDS, but the VDS is not very powerful (256 RAM). So I'd appreciate if anyone could look how much memory it consumes when running. Thanks anyway.

upd: "We recommend using 2 GHz machine, with 512 MB RAM and a 1 Mbps upload network bandwidth"

That's what BI say on Windows server. But I'm interested in facts, because my VDS didn't match the requirements for INSURGENCY server, but I've set up easily, launched and played with no lag (VOip disabled). So I want to take chance on running Arma2)))

Edited by zvukoper
upd