Sign in to follow this  
_watcher

Arma 2 dedicated server for freebsd/linux/etc.

Read through many posts and haven't really found anything on this. I'd be interested in running a dedicated server on one of these systems. Is there such a port and if not, will there ever be such port?

Thanks in advance,

_watcher.

Used to run Arma 1 dedicated server on my linux box for days on end for our network.

Would be happy to run Arma 2 linux dedi if it was out, as I don't have a windows server.

There will be a linux version but Bohemia's normal policy is to release it later once the windows dedicated server is out of beta. I gather from their point of view it takes alot longer for them to produce the linux binaries.

Jman;1323629']There will be a linux version but Bohemia's normal policy is to release it later once the windows dedicated server is out of beta. I gather from their point of view it takes alot longer for them to produce the linux binaries.

thats bad, but there are much more linux servers than windows servers, so why not started with the linux/bsd version? :(

i will not buy a win server license just for arma2 server :(

already got a bad ass server, the connection comes directly from the backbone, but our clan just cant use it atm, because the server binaries are not done yet :(

so i guess there is no ETA for the linux/bsd version.

Same here. Game's aldy uploaded any everyone is waiting for the linux binary!

would be nice to have an official respond about an ETA or something :(

currently im thinking about to install virtualbox with windows on the server and use it till the linux binaries are out. but buying a win server license just for arma2 server is a lil bit expensive and nonsense

Edited by Ekre

We really need this linux version !

In our team (~R3F~) the Windows server is expensive and not efficient. Armaserver2.exe works like a charm, but we also have other servers (http, bdd, ftp, teamspeak, smtp etc ...) and therefore all this works much better under Linux than Windows and less expensive.

Thanks in advance

All the linux-admins have to wait, till the linux-version is out.

Like with OFP and ArmA1, the linux server will be released some weeks/months after windows server.

So we have to wait. It will come some day. We [CiA] also only have a linux server and still want the server as soon as possible, but we have to wait. So long we still host our regular OFP sessions.

That's life.....

Greets Lobanak

It would be nice if they ported for freebsd as well. I doubt that would ever happen though.

We whait

Am has order to make 15 ded server but can't becuse am only have Linux server running on datacenters

have we others way to run it on Linux?

We whait

Am has order to make 15 ded server but can't becuse am only have Linux server running on datacenters

have we others way to run it on Linux?

WINE? But I seriously doubt that would work. I have finally purchased ArmA2 and would LOVE LOVE LOVE if they ported the server to BSD. PLEASE BOHEMIA PLEASE PLEASE PORT IT TO BSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want a Linux server as well to run on my box, but unfortunately I guess we have to wait 3-6 months for it. Also, it won't be particularly tweaked for Linux either unless they something really weird happens...

WINE? But I seriously doubt that would work. I have finally purchased ArmA2 and would LOVE LOVE LOVE if they ported the server to BSD. PLEASE BOHEMIA PLEASE PLEASE PORT IT TO BSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, wine cant run it, its just crash (it has non implemented calls as i see).

atm you have to install virtualbox (for example) and a windows onto it. yeah, thats crap, because we need a windows license to host an arma2 server on linux/bsd..... thats nonsense

yeah, wine cant run it, its just crash (it has non implemented calls as i see).

atm you have to install virtualbox (for example) and a windows onto it. yeah, thats crap, because we need a windows license to host an arma2 server on linux/bsd..... thats nonsense

Yeah, I agree. I don't think Bohemia understands the fact that most people who run servers (> 90%) are running linux/bsd/etc/etc.. All the other games I play have ported server code to run on these systems =]

OFP had a linux server code

ArmA1 had a linux server code

Guess what ArmA2 will have?

BI knows that already

OFP had a linux server code

ArmA1 had a linux server code

Guess what ArmA2 will have?

BI knows that already

you are right, but the question is when? we have to wait ~ 6 months, again?

till it comes i guess most of my clan mates will just forget it because ppl on public servers.

Hello,

Our team encounter the same problem. We must pay a windows license on our dedicated server. The price is too high. Around 30€ for 3 months so for the the moment, we had try to use a win xp lite in a virtual box on linux, and it works without lagg but the arma win server crash often :(

I believe the instability is due to the arma server and not to virtual machine but it's not sure. :eek: We had assigned around 1.5 Go of ram in the VM :)

Edited by code34

hello,

With a windows physical dedicated server we doesn't encounter anymore the stability problem with the vm.

We even do not pay for windows license, we have since 8 years linux dedicated server.

The costs of the stupid windows license is a crust...

Iam a little bit angry that Bohemia favored the windows server...now we have any month since release of the game an bohemia have no linux server for download ;-(

Thats what i every say, we need a Linux server file. It is a very bad work to installations all stuff before works Arma2.

Greets Hotze

I am really getting tired of waiting. We went through 1.03 without any linux dedicated server... now 1.04 still doesn't have one, and a whole new game is around the corner!

That I need to have the overhead of a virtualization layer to host my games is ridiculous.

(I have WinXP Pro 64-bit running inside Virtualbox. My hardware has all the correct VM support. Rock solid, and not too much overhead, considering. Using 64-bit to work around a bug that caused massive CPU usage.)

We're tired too...

3 updates.... and no linux dedicated server !!

It's a shame...

It's not a good point for Bis.