Sign in to follow this  
giantsfan24

CTI - armor/air power

I remember back in the OFP mfcti days, it would take at least an hour to build up enough money to buy 1 m1a1 or transport chopper. Now it seams as though you can buy one within 10 minutes.

Have I just been playing on the wrong servers(granted I only tried 2) or is this just the way it is? I mean, it was awesome that you had to build up to serious firepower. First you might start with a jeep to capture towns. Then maybe build 1 m60(the smaller tank). Then after a while you could finally get the big daddy. The m1a1. And it felt like you accomplished something. Not to mention when you finally got that first chopper.

What's the point of smaller weapons if you can buy an abrams right at the start? Please tell me my perception is wrong because I love player a first person rts(cti) and this kinda ruins it.

I agree. Tanks and heavy weapons should be very expensive. There are differenses between the servers though but the trend seems to be that every man wants a tank from start to finish.

I'm a rookie on crCTI though so I should probably leave it to the veterans to get this running right. But I'd prefer it if you had to really work your *ss off with a light squad from the start to get to the point where you could buy a tank.

Starting money makes it all, imho (I'm not a crCTI expert, I started playing that in A2 :) ). The default starting money is probably too high.

OTOH, Commander needs to have enough to fill his troops. Which leads to an interesting choice :

- Fill 1 heavy squad and leave the rest with the remaining

- equal repartition of money amongst squads

I find the first choice better, moreover at map start where usually there's not many players online and you can have a armored player squad taking AI towns way faster. In fact, that's where the issue is : get a tank, and you roll over AI opposition, get on foot, and struggle for hours

It's really not rocket science. Just make the tanks and higher level equipment much more expensive. Pretty simple. But I would love to here form some vetereans who maybe have played where really have to work to get good armor/air support.

In my personal edit I upped the prices with the following:

Rifles (except the most basic ones and AT4): x 100

Sniper rifles: x 200

Cars (except the trucks): x 250

Light armor: x 500

Heavy and air: x 1000

Meaning you had to work a bit even to get some decent equipment. Not sure if I had to give the AI a money bonus just to get started though, been a long while. But it did work in terms of slowing everything down and become a lot more infantry oriented.