Sign in to follow this  
Ausv7

I have a question about piloting

For certain in this game a will be a pilot but i do not know if i should go out and buy a joystick or stick to keyboard. Any suggestions. If for joystick, please recommend one that is going to be compatible with the game.

Thank you:yay:

without having one, id say joystick is superiour to keyboard.

do you by any chance have a X360 controller? that is not bad at all for flying. using it myself, alot better than the keyboard.

I find a joystick much easier to fly with. It gives better control for flying a chopper than a mouse and keyboard ever could.

without having one, id say joystick is superiour to keyboard.

do you by any chance have a X360 controller? that is not bad at all for flying. using it myself, alot better than the keyboard.

The 360 controller is compatible with the computer? I didn't know that.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I find a joystick much easier to fly with. It gives better control for flying a chopper than a mouse and keyboard ever could.

What kind of joystick do you use?

The 360 controller is compatible with the computer? I didn't know that.

it sure is :) using that in any game that supports it. only thing im using keyboard and mouse in arma 2 is infantry. rest controller

so yea, if u got a controller, id use that until u buy a joystick

What kind of joystick do you use?

I'm using an old Sidewinder FF2. They don't make them any more, which is a shame since they are excellent.

Don't get the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. It's shit. I hear the Saitek stuff is good though.

I'm using an old Sidewinder FF2. They don't make them any more, which is a shame since they are excellent.

Don't get the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. It's shit. I hear the Saitek stuff is good though.

I have seen their new stuff and it is amazing. i am really considering getting it.

I'm more into flight sims than shooters, but OPFP/ARMA is the exception. I usually fly helos with mouse keyboard... and aircraft with a joystick (just a personal preference). I find aircraft hard to maintain a turn in with mouse control (silly default aircraft flight model always likes to try to level out).

I'd recommend a cheap programmable stick if this is all you're going to use it for. A full HOTAS setup might be overkill for ArmA. Let your wallet decide.

Something with a throttle control if you're going to be in aircraft a lot.

Something that you can program the basic functions to (view hat, weapons cycle, fire, flares, maybe gear and flaps). You don't need a whole lot for ArmA.

"Logitec Attack 3" sells for around $15 US

"Saitek Aviator" sells for around $30

Thrustmaster makes a cheapie HOTAS for like $40

"Saitek X52" is a nice rig (what I currently run) at about $90

*but it has some learning curve and like I said, is a bit overkill for ArmA

*edit: Oh, and one thing about any HOTAS setup....keep in mind where you're going to place it. A HOTAS usually takes up twice as much room with a bigger footprint(s).

Edited by Thirdup

I would suggest a small joystick with X, Y and twist rudder with a throttle axis and maybe 6-12 buttons. It's really nice to use a joystick for aircraft or even cars and it's no problem switching between the two on the fly during a mission.

"Logitec Attack 3" sells for around $15 US

"Saitek Aviator" sells for around $30

Thrustmaster makes a cheapie HOTAS for like $40

"Saitek X52" is a nice rig (what I currently run) at about $90

*but it has some learning curve and like I said, is a bit overkill for ArmA

Not the Logitech. That one looks even worse than the 3D Pro. Those things are shit and not even worse their cheap price.

The rest of your list should be good though. Saitek Aviator should be fine for ArmA 2.

Why the Logitech is shit:

1. Insane sensitivity, has to be turned right down to be reasonable.

2. Pathetic tiny range of movement, makes being precise difficult. You barely move it and you just feel it hit the limit.

3. Horrible 'stuttery' movement. You can even feel those crappy gears clicking with each other as you move it.

And just forget about using it with a flight sim.

After fixing my Sidewinder I shoved it in the box, not using it again. Pity I couldn't get a refund.

Yeah, I love my FF2 as well, been using it since 2002. I sometimes use it with the throttle unit of the X-52 Pro, depending on the the game.

BTW, gogamer.com still has the FF2's. :)

http://www.gogamer.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Force-Feedback-2-Joystick-Front-Page_stcVVproductId27947627VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm