Sign in to follow this  
Typheus

Alright, so can servers prevent people from turning grass to 0?

Gonna be honest with you...I'm not getting this game if I stand no chance as a sniper, or SF, or regular infantry unit that's trying to use brush for cover, because some dudes want to turn their games down to the lowest possible settings and get an advantage.

I know I may sound like an ass, saying that I won't buy the game simply because of this(which may not be a big deal to many of you), but that's just a killer for me. I mean, it's not much of a military sim when that kind of tweaking can happen.

Gonna be honest with you...I'm not getting this game if I stand no chance as a sniper, or SF, or regular infantry unit that's trying to use brush for cover, because some dudes want to turn their games down to the lowest possible settings and get an advantage.

I know I may sound like an ass, saying that I won't buy the game simply because of this(which may not be a big deal to many of you), but that's just a killer for me. I mean, it's not much of a military sim when that kind of tweaking can happen.

Although i still bought the game, and LOVE IT, i do agree. The grass should either be on or off, otherwise its way too easy to cheat, and gives snipers no chance.

I know the game simulates long grass by making you a sink a lttle, but seriously, its just not the same thing!

But yeah, still an awesome game, this is just a minor online exploit.

Well, it doesn't sound so minor if gives snipers no chance. I mean, if it completely nullifies a platoon attachment, then damn...

Grass and viewdistance are set by the server or mission in MP, unless the server or mission use scripting to allow you to set it.

something good on the Sniper's part... They don't have to deal with annoying bushes/grass moving back and forth, blocking your view from the scope. I find it easier to snipe without grass, and as long as you have some sort of cover like a bush or something, go either behind it or IN FRONT of it to camoflauge yourself.

Well, it doesn't sound so minor if gives snipers no chance. I mean, if it completely nullifies a platoon attachment, then damn...

HAHAHAHA

Seriously though, the sniper is a trained marksman with a high powered rifle with high power optics and he has no chance?

HAHAHAHA

Seriously though, the sniper is a trained marksman with a high powered rifle with high power optics and he has no chance?

A sniper can only get off a few aimed shots a minute, while someone with a lmg could put several hundred rounds out in a minute. So yeah with out cover and concealment a sniper is very vulnerable.

thats why you have a ghuilli suit.....

I was referring to ingame not real life. He thinks a sniper has the advantage in a world with out grass. Yeah right.

A sniper that so much points his little pea shooter, at and of my squaddies, will become a human ghillie... At least when my whole squad opens up on him, he will.

It surprises me how many snipers decide to engage you at under 400meters, and expect to live. :)

anfiach, you realize this game isn't like Counter Strike, right?

lol you guys kiddin me i was playin a CTF today, while in a lighthouse sniping ppl with a 50 cal. lol if u need to hide in a bush to kill people, then sorry but youre a puss.

Edited by Shinobi575

I honestly think the gfx server override is complete BS. I carefully set up my gfx details, make up costum missions in the editor to measure my FPS in different situations and then finetune the details to get the balance of gfx quality and FPS.

And once i found the perfect balance for my pc i go on a server and BOOM - 15fps again. NICE! :P

Gfx settings should be dependant on what my pc can handle and not what the server admin / mission developer think looks cool.

Edited by ])rStrangelove

I was referring to ingame not real life. He thinks a sniper has the advantage in a world with out grass. Yeah right.

The game has ghillie suits...

Servers though should have the option of forcing grass to a certain distance, with an icon or something akin to that.

Turning grass off is a pretty big advantage over someone who does.

Alright Shinobi, want to apologize for calling me a pussy?

not particulary. you say youre not getting this game merely because you can turn the grass off? what kind of moroic statement is that? so what you cant lie prone in the grass big deal, i'm glad their is an option like this even tho i havent disabled it myself, it allows for less camping! no, i am not going to appologize, stop crying; if you dont want the game thats fine, but over a stupid reason like turning grass off in mutliplayer? thats rediculous. and i didnt call you a pussy :)

Edited by Shinobi575

Grass and viewdistance are set by the server or mission in MP, unless the server or mission use scripting to allow you to set it.

Client can use Scripts to disable grass too... (like viewdistance).

I like the challenge of high grass when faced with a sniper. It works both ways btw. The target of the sniper can use the grass as cover too.

Its also very useful in sneaking up on tanks. The grass is invaluable.

Taking it away gets rid of a whole tactical element, concealment. Not good for a tactical shooter like arma2 methinks.

Generally snipers are really easy to deal with. Always have a truck in your squad. Get a rough fix on him, then close the distance. Your AI should spot him quite easily.

Another way is mark his position and let a nearby, bored, tanker deal with him.

Its a team game, get your team mates to help when you can, you would be surprised how often they will. The sniper, however, is usually on his own and generally not a team player. Use this to your advantage.

There is so much cover in on the island. Why would you want to lay in the middle of a field anyway?

Better to stick to the more dense areas.

Even if grass = 0, there are plenty of areas to hide in at 500 ~ 1000m.

The way that it should work, is that the server setting dictates the maximum amount of help you can get, but it should always be possible to use a more difficult setting for the client.

I think servers should put grass on, it adds to the whole feel of the game, BUT! The servers should be marked with what settings they are running for those with poor systems who cant run it.

wow wow wow, lot of misinformation in this thread! :O

Unless things changed from OFP/A1 in A2 :

1) The server, without any particular scripting in the mission, dictates the use of grass and clients cannot switch off grass. Ie, no "cheating".

2) mission makers can, through the use of scripting command, enforce a different settings. Usually in the initialization script, they can disable grass. It will take effect on all clients and clients then still cannot change the grass setting. It is driven by the mission. Ie, no "cheating".

3) mission makers can, finally, offer a dynamic way to change grass settings on clients, through the use of the player character menu or through custom radios for example (ie not by changing Video Settings the usual way). In this case only, you can have 1 client with grass and another one without grass. And it's because the mission maker wanted it to be that way.

The way that it should work, is that the server setting dictates the maximum amount of help you can get, but it should always be possible to use a more difficult setting for the client.

totally agree, but theres another problem, grass rendering ends after approx. 100m, so as a sniper you cant hide in grass on a hill, you´ll be visible. biggest issue besides poor performance.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

wow wow wow, lot of misinformation in this thread! :O

Unless things changed from OFP/A1 in A2 :

1) The server, without any particular scripting in the mission, dictates the use of grass and clients cannot switch off grass. Ie, no "cheating".

thats not true, get on XR warfare server and lower or disable your "landschaftsdetail" (landscape settings in english?).

totally agree, but theres another problem, grass rendering ends after approx. 100m, so as a sniper you cant hide in grass on a hill, you´ll be visible. biggest issue besides poor performance.

Then try hiding behind a bush or tree or rock rather than in the grass that you know doesn't get rendered past a certain point.