Sign in to follow this  
FraG_AU

Patch 1.03 suggestions

Could fire (like from a burning vehicle) hurt nearby people?

For example, when I destroy a bmp, it explodes and most of the soldiers around die, but some of them survive and keep shooting regardless of the fire a meter from them. I'd like either the AI move away or die after a while (I suppose the latter is simplier to program).

Something about animations.

I've noticed that in the third person view my avatar moves his legs and hands when he turns around, but in the first person he doesn't. Could this be done for the first person too? It would not just look better but in proning position it would also limit one's shooting abilities like in real life.

CQB - Alot of people ask for ninja hand to hand knife killing skills, not particularly needed and probably complicated to implement.

Back in the days of OFP Project:UK Forces had a working Bayonet that was scripted in, could BIS implent something similar as a content patch? That would satisfy the need of "Oh sh1t, I appear to have ran out ammo" aswell as making close quarter fighting a little more immersive and possible.

The way ours worked was when the Bayonet was fixed and you was in close proximity to the enemy a thrusting animation would be played and the enemy would die, it worked fine im MP.

Remove 3rd person view.

This is ArmA2, not some CS/console game

PLEASE:yay: change sounds of explosions! They are same like in arma1. Make more powerful and husky

1. Performance

2. AI

3. Visual glitches

Should not be hard to dedicate all energy into them.

Jop exactly my opinion :ok:

Reduce the specularPower value in rvmat for most models in the game. For example many trees have very wet like appearance due to excessive use of environment mapping. Same goes for many vehicles that are supposed to be mat colored.

forget bugs forget crashes and glitches. FIX THE MUZZLE FLASH

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Fixing bayonets would be good.

What do you think about the possibility to resize the ingame map that now fits the whole screen. Actually when opening the map you cant see what happens around you. In my opinion the map should resize like the inventory window depending on your "menu size" settings. This would me more realistic too. What do you think?

Remove 3rd person view.

This is ArmA2, not some CS/console game

Third person has been in since OFP, it's tradition to have it, besides alot of us enjoy 3rd person when in vehicles.

If you don't like it simply disable it, besides most pvp servers online have this option disabled through the server.

In the next patch I would like to see something doen to prevent units falling through the ground, I have twice myself, and I am now finding the AI does this too. It ruins missions cos I cant eliminate the enemy if hes swimming about below me in some distant vault.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Maybe introduce a 'no-clip' toggle key so I can zip down and eliminate.

Optimization suggestion:

When Player Character moves, temporarily stop vegetation animation. When player character stops, resume animation. If possible, though, make vegetation animation stop/start after player's speed goes past/behind a certain speed. Some people, if they look close enough, may notice that the animation has stopped when they are walking, so stopping it when they're running would be ideal. It's wouldn't be really noticeable, and would possibly increase performance. But would this be possible to do? I'm not a coding expert, but have always wondered why developers didn't do this as a way for optimization.

LoD change hiding suggestion:

Could you possibly make it so the LoD changes fade in and out instead of simply popping into existence?

Depth of Field suggestion:

Change the simple depth of field distance to... say... 500 to 1500 meters. So things close up will be crisp and clear, but things far off in the distance will be blurry.

Bug fix: Team mates' body parts will sometimes disappear then reappear while in vehicles. I believe it has something to do with getting too close to them while in first person.

Bug fix: Sometimes, if I look directly behind me while riding in vehicles, I can see that my head is missing, and there is just a hole. You could possibly make the possible head turn slightly less while in vehicles.

Bug fix: Some characters' arms will clip through their sleeves. Possibly make their arms a little bit thinner.

Edited by Stimpak_Addict

In order of importance...

1. Better performance

2. Campaign fixes

3. AI tweaks

4. Smoother netcode (or at least the appearance of smoother MP play)

5. New vehicles (AH64, etc...)

6. Cake, chocolate please

7. A shiny new engine for Arma 3 or 4 :pray:

Keep up the hard work BIS, awesome work! :clap:

PLEASE:yay: change sounds of explosions! They are same like in arma1. Make more powerful and husky

+1

And fix this bug

How about making semi-automatic the default fire mode? I very rarely use full auto on my assault rifles anyway, dunno about the rest of you. In ArmA semi was default, not full auto as in ArmA2.

Would be nice to turn off textures on map. They're annoying - I'd like the old OFP/ArmA 1 style map, with white background and green markers for forests. Lot easier to work with.

Enemies seem to die sometimes in mid-air.

Some weapons seem to be way off. In ArmA 1, I can reliably shoot an enemy target with an M4 aimpoint at ~200 m. In ArmA 2 I've yet to shoot a target successfully with the M4 if it's farther than a few meters away. (Same game settings.)

Wasn't the inventory supposed to be bigger (in terms of capacity)? It'd be nice to be able to carry a few more clips/grenades.

Voices. The insurgent voices are a nice touch but they sound extremely weird as the sentences are put together from separate words. Same with US voices. I haven't played much yet, so I don't know the rest.

Would be nice if running would cancel leaning. Right now, if I lean and then try to move fast, I cannot: I walk at the slowest speed. It'd make sense to auto-cancel leaning and switch to running when the run/fast forward key is pressed.

Looks like my character stands up after running, even if I started from kneeling. In ArmA 1, the character goes back to kneeling; I think this works much better. Now I must kneel down all the time after running, even though I very frequently start running from kneeling.

As mentioned above, rifles should default to semi-auto fire. Full-auto is a waste of ammo. Go back to how it was in ArmA 1, it requires fewer keystrokes (since the weapon is already in semi-auto mode.)

I miss the distances from OFP and ArmA 1. 'Close', 'far', etc. just don't cut it.

Edited by xxbbcc

Would be nice to turn off textures on map. They're annoying - I'd like the old OFP/ArmA 1 style map, with white background and green markers for forests. Lot easier to work with.

Err you can? Or atleast in the demo, if you can't now I'd expect you will in a nearby patch.

Would be nice if running would cancel leaning. Right now, if I lean and then try to move fast, I cannot: I walk at the slowest speed. It'd make sense to auto-cancel leaning and switch to running when the run/fast forward key is pressed.

Just take your finger off the lean button..it's not that hard, this is moreso user error and responsibility, not BIS.

How can you turn off the map textures? In ArmA 1, there was a button for that, along with map scale. I don't seem to find that.

My suggestion was for toggle lean, not simple lean. With toggle lean on, if you get shot at, it's impossible to run because of the lean. And since the game has so many keyboard shortcuts, it's sometimes impossible to hold all keys at the same time, hence I frequently use toggle lean.

I don't have ArmaII only the demo hence I said in the demo, in which case it is here piccbw.jpg try Ctrl+T like shown as well and see if that might do it.

And I didn't know there was a toggle lean function, never saw any need in it since the keys are all in the same group.

Press the lean key again to untoggle lean. It doesn't take much, if any, effort to do.

That equals to being killed. Imagine you're leaning around a corner and there's a UAZ there with a machine gun, looking just in your direction. They'll start shooting immediately. Wasting even ~1.5 seconds to toggle the lean means you're dead. That time could've been used to move away from the corner right away.

Try playing with it for a while and you'll know what I mean.

I know there are other issues with the game but this has been bugging me for a long time with ArmA 1, too.

Edited by xxbbcc

Better performance, better optimization...thats all I want in patch 1.03.

+1. I'd gladly give up all else if we could only get the performance we ought to have.

Then again, I guess I should consider myself lucky that the game runs stable for me at all. In all honesty, the dreadful stability problems so many people experience should probably take precedence, even over the game's abysmal performance.